Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United changes to slightly cheaper Beam "Devil's Cut", no more black?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

I had not been on United in a while, took them back from Seattle on Friday (no mid-afternoon flight on VX) and checked the Hemispheres re drink selection, and saw that the Beam Black (the only semi-decent dark spirit) was gone. Replaced with Beam "Devil's cut" I had not heard of this, but figured I would try it, asked and the FA had no idea what I was talking about. Took the mag, came back and said they did not have any, had not head of it. (also no 312, and the wine was undrinkable, par for the UA course).

I checked when I got home and its barrel wash tossed into younger spirits. It is (surprise, surprise) cheaper at wholesale than is Beam Black. Anyone tied this stuff? And why can't United do any actual improvements in their rather sad ETOH selection, rather than cuts that they pretend are something good.

Alas back to my usual Back in Black from Prohibition or Glenfidich on VX or Woodword Reserve on DL next week.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Actually, I don't mind Jim Beam Devils Cut. I would say this is actually an improvement. ^ AA had it in its premium cabins until recently and I prefer it to Jim Beam Black. I find the Devils Cut has a richer and more intense profile.

Not sure where you're finding your prices, but I know that Devils Cut is actually slightly more expensive than Black at BevMo.

Still, I'd prefer UA offer a proper single malt Scotch rather than changing its Bourbon selection.

-FlyerBeek

Last edited by FlyerBeek; Nov 9, 2014 at 12:48 pm Reason: FlyerBeek's poor grammar
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Enjoy it

Yes, I've had it and it's pretty good. It's not Blanton's-smooth, and is a little too sweet, but it's decent; it's got a kick of spice like a Booker's. I'd rather they have Maker's, but I'm glad that UA finally has a bourbon. (Jack Daniels isn't bourbon....)
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

Not sure where you're finding your prices, but I know that Devils Cut is actually slightly more expensive than Black at BevMo.

Devil's Cut is also slightly more expensive when I do a nationwide search, and is a higher proof.

Tastewise, I can't say I've had either.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:52 pm

Indeed.

Devils is $1 more than Black. No budget cut there. Just different flavor.

Yet Delta with its Seattle "hub" and even Alaska were not chosen over United.

The combo of those 2 on schedule should satisfy any true HVC who will always pay for "premium" service SEA - SFO.

Originally Posted by aacharya
Quote:

Consider the source of the thread - and that will explain all.

Devil's Cut is also slightly more expensive when I do a nationwide search, and is a higher proof.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
But they got tito's!!!!! Best change of all!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya

Tastewise, I can't say I've had either.
I noted the same thing as others re Bev Mo pricing, but the wholesale is definitely cheaper. I can't translate into the little bottle price, but wholesale of the big bottles is about 15% less than Black is.

"Devil's cut" is aged 6 years and part of it comes from pressing the scraped barrel wood (basically waste product) vs 8 years for the black. Its aging that adds price, the 90 proof vs. 86 for the Black is not really a cost issue compared to the extra aging.

I've not tried it yet, perhaps they will have it next time I fly UAL, and I'll try it.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Indeed.

Devils is $1 more than Black. No budget cut there. Just different flavor.
As a marketer you know what's really going on - JB is pushing one brand over another - so the "retail" price is truly irrelevant. UA is using the brand because its cheaper bc JB wants to promote it - its that's simple....
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

Yet Delta with its Seattle "hub" and even Alaska were not chosen over United.

The combo of those 2 on schedule should satisfy any true HVC who will always pay for "premium" service SEA - SFO.
In the last two months I've done SFO-SEA 14 times. The fare for me (booking last minute) is always $237 or $277 one way. This is slight over 40 c/mi. I've flown VX and AS on nearly all of my flights, with a preference for VX as every single flight has been on time. I've not taken DL on this route as I have status on AS, not DL, and so its coach on DL (I see no reason to pay for First on this short route, when I can get it free or fly a real FC on VX), so no reason to take them, although I fly them other places and just pay for FC. This was my ownly flight on UA in all of these trips. Why? DL's 2:30 departure was slightly too early, and VX does not have a flight till 5:30, and FC on AS was full, and AS was $277 while UA was $237, since an upgrade was assured on UA, and it was not a dark airbus, and UA was cheaper, UA got the fare... I was actually lucky, this flight was "on time" (we left 20 minutes late due to "late arriving A/C" and delays in boarding) but arrived "on time" due to the scheduled being padded, but the one before it and after it were way late.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Sheesh. they need to go back to Glenlivet 12 (PMUA used to have that..)

even AC offers Glenlivet12 at the MLL's, self serve.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
In the last two months I've done SFO-SEA 14 times. The fare for me (booking last minute) is always $237 or $277 one way. This is slight over 40 c/mi. I've flown VX and AS on nearly all of my flights, with a preference for VX as every single flight has been on time. I've not taken DL on this route as I have status on AS, not DL, and so its coach on DL (I see no reason to pay for First on this short route, when I can get it free or fly a real FC on VX), so no reason to take them, although I fly them other places and just pay for FC. This was my ownly flight on UA in all of these trips. Why? DL's 2:30 departure was slightly too early, and VX does not have a flight till 5:30, and FC on AS was full, and AS was $277 while UA was $237, since an upgrade was assured on UA, and it was not a dark airbus, and UA was cheaper, UA got the fare... I was actually lucky, this flight was "on time" (we left 20 minutes late due to "late arriving A/C" and delays in boarding) but arrived "on time" due to the scheduled being padded, but the one before it and after it were way late.
What does any of this have to do with Bourbon?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Baze
A previous poster called Spin out for having the nerve to fly a single segment on UA, and Spin gave a very logical reason why he was willing to put up with the lower quality experience
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Moderator Note

Let's stay focused on the bourbon -- it's more refreshing. And it is the thread topic.

WineCountryUA
coUA Moderator
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Baze
Everything... DL has Woodford Reserve. Easily, the best Bourbon served by any domestic carrier. Status and mileage aside, spin should just fly DL this route for the Woodford!

In all seriousness, I really think that Devils Cut on UA is an enhancement (at worst, an even exchange) for UA fliers.

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 9, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
In all seriousness, I really think that Devils Cut on UA is an enhancement (at worst, an even exchange) for UA fliers.

-FlyerBeek
Completely agree with you - but to think that UA did this for passenger enjoyment is a joke. JB is promoting Devils Cut and on the whoelsale market it's a great deal - so UA goes with it. It's that simple.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 9, 2014 at 2:12 pm Reason: repair broken vBB code

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.