Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to use UA.com to book partner flights to earn PQDs, booking PQMs,... Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
If a partner option will not show on united.com for a paid booking {likely a lack of codeshare}, see if it will show as a award booking. Award booking usually provide an option to purchase for $$$.

Related threads
Free Method for Getting 016/UA-Issued Tix for PQD
Will UA issue tickets on partner airlines if no UA/*A flight on itinerary?
Print Wikipost

How to use UA.com to book partner flights to earn PQDs, booking PQMs,... Consolidated

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:57 am
Original Poster

With the new PQD requirements for status qualification requiring a flight to be on UA equipment or ticket stock (if I understand correctly), I am looking for a way to book SYD-AKL-SYD on UA ticket stock.

UA.com returns no results when I search this route, and I can't see a way to book it as a UA codeshare on Expedia or NZ.com.

Is it even possible to do what I am trying to do?

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
You would have to book it via UA.com or via an agent offering a codeshare flight number. If there is no codeshare, you aren't able to do it.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
You should call.

There UA codeshares on that route so a phone agent should book it (see the timetable for flight numbers). If there are not codeshares for there flight you want, they still can book it using the NZ (or other airline's) code but the agents won't always do it if there are no UA flights on the ticket. As a note, UA can sell tickets on nearly any airline which it has an interline agreement (hundred or more airlines) with but I think they have internal rules (and perhaps IATA rules) against doing so when there are no UA flights.

I've take NZ between SYD & AKL many times often on UA codeshares on 016 stock. I would recommend trying to get on the 777-300 which has NZ's new interior. It's a shortish flight (3.5 hrs) but they serve a full meal in all classes (assuming you don't have the dirt cheap Y ticket) and their new business & premium economy is really nice. Depending on when you plan to travel they should also have at least 1 787 doing some tasman trips and I'd bet AKL-SYD would be one of them.

Last edited by kenn0223; Jan 20, 2014 at 8:35 am
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kenn0223
As a note, UA can sell tickets on nearly any airline which it has an interline agreement (hundred or more airlines) with but I think they have internal rules (and perhaps IATA rules) against doing so when there are no UA flights.
Would love to hear back on any reports of pax being able to get 016 ticket stock for all non-UA metal trips.

I had my TA try it for a JJ flight and she couldn't do it.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:55 am

Although this sounds like it wouldn't apply for this specific case of SYD-AKL-SYD, to solve the generic problem could one simply not add a final tag segment on UA with a refundable fare for that one segment? Decades ago policy used to be that the issuing carrier was the first segment carrier, not the last, but I'm not sure this is a "rule". I'm aware that "strictest rules" apply to a multi-fare class ticket, which could make a refundable fare not refundable if entirely on UA, but does this rule cross carriers if it's not an interline fare?. Comments? Sorry of this is covered elsewhere.

Last edited by Starman; Jan 20, 2014 at 9:07 am
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Another way to do it, if available, is to search for the flights using the award search, and then choose the option to buy with $.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Would love to hear back on any reports of pax being able to get 016 ticket stock for all non-UA metal trips.

I had my TA try it for a JJ flight and she couldn't do it.
I just booked DUB-OSL & OSL-LHR all on SK via UA.com and it ticketed on 016. I've been able it do it often including with NZ.

Last edited by kenn0223; Jan 20, 2014 at 10:07 am
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Another way to do it, if available, is to search for the flights using the award search, and then choose the option to buy with $.
For some reason that wn't work on this itinerary. I was going to suggest it but I couldn't get it to price out with anything other than miles. Perhaps it was the days I picked? I've gotten it to work before (including tix for some February US itineraries I picked up last night).
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Gold
Just to note again that is only possible on full-fare tix.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mzrn
Nt if you use the award ticket method.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by mzrn
This is completely wrong. You can book any fare that UA has access to (so long as you follow the fare rules). Note in my post above I booked U and T on SK.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
I'm also in the same boat. I'm booked for SFO-SYD-SFO in S. I was able to get SFO-SYD-AKL-SYD-SFO on UA.com in V but decided to go with the cheaper S fare. I can't seem to get SYD-AKL-SYD on UA.com so I am guessing I should call in and get this on 016 stock for PQDs? If not, I'll just try to get credit for PQMs.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:23 am
Suspended

Note in my post above I booked U and T on SK.
How did you book those flights? Please elaborate step-by-step.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
How did you book those flights? Please elaborate step-by-step.
1. Go to www.united.com
2. Select "Multiple Destinations" in the little booking box on the home page (I used Jan 31 & Feb 1 just now)
3. Enter the destinations DUB - OSL and OSL - LHR
4. For the DUB-OSL segment one direct flight option, select it
5. For the OSL-LHR segment there are lots of direct options, select one
6. Complete the purchase process normally.

There isn't really a trick to it.

I don't think every *A or other airline booking will come up in a united.com search. But, IME, if you call they can 1) see a lot more flights and 2) book almost anything. If UA books it, the ticket will almost certainly be on 016 stock. I don't understand why, if you website doesn't work, people are hesitant to call United?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
1. Go to www.united.com
2. Select "Multiple Destinations" in the little booking box on the home page (I used Jan 31 & Feb 1 just now)
3. Enter the destinations DUB - OSL and OSL - LHR
4. For the DUB-OSL segment one direct flight option, select it
5. For the OSL-LHR segment there are lots of direct options, select one
6. Complete the purchase process normally.

There isn't really a trick to it.
Did you check if there was any price differential between this way and booking straight with SK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.