Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Chances for NRT/HND to East Coast Business Class Upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Chances for NRT/HND to East Coast Business Class Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Did you look at flying through SFO? I've found plenty of R SFO-NRT in mid to late April and have in fact booked 4 seats across a few week span.
Yes, I did look at UA838 SFO-NRT but it shows R0, P9 and PN1. Only 2 seats taken in J - 6B and 6J, no others taken in J or F.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Chances are poor that a Saturday flight will show much upgrade availability, especially this far out. United (correctly) believes that it will be able to sell all of those seats, because Saturday is a rather popular day to fly to the US from Japan, after a week's worth of business is complete.

You probably know, but the seatmap doesn't have much to do with upgrade availability - United is happy to sell you one of the many open seats, but they're not going to do so for coach fare plus miles/upgrade just yet.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drewguy
Chances are poor that a Saturday flight will show much upgrade availability, especially this far out. United (correctly) believes that it will be able to sell all of those seats, because Saturday is a rather popular day to fly to the US from Japan, after a week's worth of business is complete.
What about Friday?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
What about Friday?
Nada, checked all routes and will likely have a meeting on Friday in Tokyo...
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Monday is a much easier day to upgrade ex-Asia. For example, there is R NRT/HND-SFO on 3/23, and HND-SFO 3/30.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Monday is a much easier day to upgrade ex-Asia. For example, there is R NRT/HND-SFO on 3/23, and HND-SFO 3/30.
Wish I could but need to return on the 21st. Thanks for checking!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Wish I could but need to return on the 21st. Thanks for checking!
So you're in the waitlist and pray bucket. That's a tough spot; it's absolutely impossible to predict likelihood of clearing this far out.

SFO is generally the easiest upgrade, and the new HND flight is easier than the NRT flight. Tough call whether it's worth that rather awkward routing just for a chance at an upgrade though. Note that ex-NRT, the SDC onto a flight with open R can be a viable option, since there are so many flights departing within a relatively short window.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
So you're in the waitlist and pray bucket. That's a tough spot; it's absolutely impossible to predict likelihood of clearing this far out.

SFO is generally the easiest upgrade, and the new HND flight is easier than the NRT flight. Tough call whether it's worth that rather awkward routing just for a chance at an upgrade though. Note that ex-NRT, the SDC onto a flight with open R can be a viable option, since there are so many flights departing within a relatively short window.
Thanks Kacee!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Need to fly Tokyo-Washington, DC on a Saturday in late March. No HND/NRT flights show "R" availability as of now. Most of the flights have no seats selected in J or just 1 or 2. I see "P" availability up to 9 on some flights and "PN" availability as well. Any recommendations for easiest upgrade for a 1K? Thanks!
Well I'm no expert - but I'd take my chances on the flights that are showing PN availability as if they are willing to open those up now for GS then I would bet those will be first to open up R first - but YMMV...
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:41 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Apologies if you've already tried this, but you might search NRT-SFO, etc., individually. I have found that .bomb is bad about not showing the R inventory correctly for connecting flights; sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. If there's no SFO-IAD R inventory, for example, the SFO-NRT segment might not show its non-zero R.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
Apologies if you've already tried this, but you might search NRT-SFO, etc., individually. I have found that .bomb is bad about not showing the R inventory correctly for connecting flights; sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. If there's no SFO-IAD R inventory, for example, the SFO-NRT segment might not show its non-zero R.
Thanks exerda, I always check the individual segments, have seen the same issues on .bomb
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Actually, I was asking if Friday is an easier day for upgrades on IAH-NRT. I have a Friday flight coming up later, and wondering how it will look.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:32 am

Now NRT-SFO down to PN0 and R0 but P is still 9...same for NRT-ORD, is SFO a much easier upgrade than ORD on a Saturday in March? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.