Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"Passenger of Size" (PoS) also sometimes referred to "Customer of Size" (CoS)
Both acronyms are in FT Glossary

Customers requiring extra seating

A customer flying in the economy cabin who is not able to safely and comfortably fit in a single seat is required to purchase an additional seat for each leg of their itinerary. The second seat may be purchased for the same fare as the original seat, provided it is purchased at the same time. A customer who does not purchase an extra seat in advance may be required to do so on the day of departure for the fare level available on the day of departure. The customer may instead choose to purchase a ticket for United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst®, or elect to pay for an upgrade to a premium cabin if there is availability to do so. United Airlines is not required to provide additional seats or upgrades free of charge.

A customer is required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:

The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seat belt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.*
The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space. See our seat maps.

United will not board a customer who declines to purchase a ticket for an additional seat or upgrade for each leg of their itinerary when required.

*The average length of the seatbelt extension is approximately 25 inches. As the seat designs on our aircraft vary, it is possible that the seatbelt extension presented on your flight provides less than 25 inches of additional coverage. Regardless of the actual additional length the extension provides, if you do not meet the first criteria listed above when using the extension provided on your flight, it will be necessary for you to purchase an additional seat or an upgrade, where available.

Additional procedures

The additional seat must be available without downgrading or unseating another customer. If an additional seat is not available on the flight for which the customer is confirmed, he or she is required to rebook on the next United flight with seats available for accommodation. United will waive penalties or fees that may otherwise apply to this change.

If the customer is away from his or her home and must rebook for a flight for the following day, amenities including applicable meals and hotel accommodations for one night will be provided as appropriate. When the customer is able to rebook for a later flight on the same day as originally scheduled, amenities will not be provided.
Print Wikipost

"Passenger of Size" (PoS) - What's the policy, experiences, issues, ...[Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Everything about this is a nightmare situation for me. Was the flight completely full? Looking forward to hearing what others have to say.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah, that's a tough one. I usually cede use of the middle armrest to a middle-seater out of sympathy. On the other hand, I want it down so as to provide a bulkhead against potentially trespassing poundage.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your empathy is admirable.
Still, if having the armrest down substantially increased your comfort, it's your right. My guess is the passenger in the middle was more comfortable with it up, so raised it when the opportunity allowed, but understood that the default is armrest down, armrest up requiring agreement.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Unless I'm related to you (or potentially want to be related to you), the armrest stays down.

If wanting to avoid the conversation/confrontation, I would just have consistently put the armrest back down each time I came back to my seat.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
In my opinion, the middle seat passenger has the right to use the armrest, but unless both passengers agree, arm rests stay down.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
In my opinion, the middle seat passenger has the right to use the armrest, but unless both passengers agree, arm rests stay down.
This.

And I'd just keep putting it back down it it mysteriously moves up whenever you are absent.
There's no need to say anything, as it should be obvious "what is happening", so I'd just do it silently.

IF the middle passenger says anything, given it's clear what the situation is, I'd then speak with the fight [ETA "flight" attendant, but I'll leave the original typo!] attendant for help rather than trigger any confrontation.

GC

Last edited by GeezerCouple; Feb 14, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
Unless I'm related to you (or potentially want to be related to you), the armrest stays down.

If wanting to avoid the conversation/confrontation, I would just have consistently put the armrest back down each time I came back to my seat.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

This and this...however, I would never begrudge them for putting it up if I wasn't there for whatever reason
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Armrest stays down for me. And we share that space for the elbow..

I understand people may be big. But ultimately, your comfort also counts for something.

If this is a problem, well perhaps airlines need to think long and hard about that one. Because, truth be told, it is happening more and more often as more and more seats are squeezed together.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
I usually let them dictate the armrest if they are in the middle row. If i'm in the aisle, I can shift and lean towards the aisle, whereas the larger individual in the middle doesn't really have any reprieve to lean in any direction.
kaliimc likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Armrest goes down if there is a stranger in the next seat. Period. I won't ask, but will just put it down, and if someone was spilling over, I will say "excuse me". After it is down. Another person does not have a right to occupy a portion of my seat. (Reason one million to try to get an upgrade.)
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:32 pm

Agree with all of the above. Your adipose tissue is not my problem. The other passenger needs to have it dealt with if it’s creating that much discomfort for them in life.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:46 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
You did pay for your seat, so you shouldn't feel any obligation to secede any of your space/seat.

I've been in a similar situation seated on an exit row on a smaller aircraft with a 2-2 seating no premium-cabin where a 'larger' passenger asked if I'd be willing to switch to the window. I declined saying that I had selected that seat months in advance. Luckily, the flight was empty, so the larger passenger moved to an empty row toward the back of the plane.

What is the proper etiquette when a passenger is overflowing into your seat? I'd hate to be rude, but has anyone asked to be reseated if they're overflowing over the armrest?
chitink likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Thanks to all for the feedback on this issue, very helpful.
Nomad
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Had an incident on a flight from BOS-SFO last Sunday that I'm amazed UA actually let happen.

Flight was completely full. A large gentleman was seated in a middle seat in row 20 on a ps 757. He was completely unable to sit down and waited until the end of boarding to request assistance from the GA. GA announces loudly if anyone would like to switch to an exit row seat, and ends up reseating the larger passenger in an aisle seat further back.

The part that amazes me was that this person was so large that you could barely walk down the aisle when he was seated. For a good portion of the flight, the FA's allowed him to stand in the galley forward of row 5 so they could do their service.

I felt bad for all parties involved here, and occurred to me that this could has easily become a safety issue due to the aisle being obstructed.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If a passenger does not fit in the allocated space, he does not fit. Should purchase two seats, fly F/J or whatever. That is solely the passenger's concern. People overflowing into one's seat pose a safety risk and that needs to be brought to the FA's attention ASAP, preferably before the flight is closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.