Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by malgudi
I'm assuming there's no difference between 18A and 18L (SFO-SIN and back).

There's nobody in 18J/K for now. If it remains that way and my upgrades don't clear, it is possible to use them as a "lie flat"?
In my experience, loads are good on SFO/SIN and those will get filled. Yes you can use them as a lie-flat if they stay open (same as any row of three), but that's unlikely.

Personally I'd opt for a seat where there's already somebody in J (or C), with an empty middle. More likely one middle stays open than two seats.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:44 pm

My wife and I are flying buisness polaris on the 787-9 CDG to SFO. We want to sit next to each other. She prefers window but I like direct aisle access without being stepped on so we are probably looking at the middle DE row.

We have 2E and 2D currently.

Is the back cabin row 6-8 a better bet for privacy/lighter load? Everything is available except for 6E/6D which I seemed to be reading was the best option. How about 2nd best option? Should we stick with row 6LK or 6 AB?

Any advice would be appreciated, haven't flown this metal.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by silver02accord
My wife and I are flying buisness polaris on the 787-9 CDG to SFO. We want to sit next to each other. She prefers window but I like direct aisle access without being stepped on so we are probably looking at the middle DE row.

We have 2E and 2D currently.

Is the back cabin row 6-8 a better bet for privacy/lighter load? Everything is available except for 6E/6D which I seemed to be reading was the best option. How about 2nd best option? Should we stick with row 6LK or 6 AB?

Any advice would be appreciated, haven't flown this metal.
6DE are strictly superior to 2DE. Barring that, I think it depends on your preferences. Sure, "not being stepped on" is nice but it's not that hard to get out of the window seat and I can't imagine it's a big deal if the person doing it is your wife.

I would not say that the "small" cabin offers anything in terms of privacy or noise; anything you gain from 2 fewer rows is lost from being closer to Y. Row 6 does have substantially bigger footwells though. Namely, I would never take 7/8 DE over 2DE, but I would consider 6AB or 6KL.

For me, 1A is my favorite seat on the plane.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by findark
6DE are strictly superior to 2DE. Barring that, I think it depends on your preferences. Sure, "not being stepped on" is nice but it's not that hard to get out of the window seat and I can't imagine it's a big deal if the person doing it is your wife.

I would not say that the "small" cabin offers anything in terms of privacy or noise; anything you gain from 2 fewer rows is lost from being closer to Y. Row 6 does have substantially bigger footwells though. Namely, I would never take 7/8 DE over 2DE, but I would consider 6AB or 6KL.

For me, 1A is my favorite seat on the plane.
Thank you for the quick reply, 1A and 1B are open maybe we will give it a shot!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by silver02accord
Thank you for the quick reply, 1A and 1B are open maybe we will give it a shot!
I've enjoyed them. I like windows and don't mind climbing over strangers (or being climbed over by my GF who is also a window person). The extra footwell space is pretty nice too. Some things I would note which are kind of unique about the seats:

• With the bulkhead you get a nice private "shelf" above your IFE console. You can't use it during takeoff of course, but it's a wonderful place to put the Polaris bedding while you're awake/when you wake up, as well as miscellaneous stuff. I have seen reports of the crew trying to put snacks there, so take over the space first! (The snack bar usually goes in front of 1DE where there is at least three feet of space from the seat to the wall.)
  • 1B can see pretty far along into the galley, so if you're super light-sensistive be aware. I have no problems with a sleep mask.
  • Above 1A there is an air conditioning pack (or something) which reliably rains a few tenths of a liter of water right when you hit the runway on arrival. It lands roughly on your knee when seated - if you have the blanket over you (which is common anyway) this is a great way to catch it. Not that bad unless you have something priceless and water-sensitive on your lap (or are wearing expensive clothes that can't get wet. Awkward, I know, but I keep coming back for more Pretty sure 1L is the same, and for all I know 6A/L are too - all I know is it's been 3/3 times I've done a 789 flight in 1A.

I know some of those sound bad, but IMO they're not a big issue and the extra footwell space (and row 1 window view) is more than worth it!

Last edited by findark; Aug 8, 2017 at 6:01 pm
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Flying NRT to LAX overnight with my spouse.
Currently we are in 1 K/L as 1 A/B is taken.
I'm 6'2" is 6/K/L a better option for us considering it's set further back from the bathroom but may have a direct view into the galley, which might be an issue if we're trying to sleep?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So I had been booking 1D and 6D when flying on this aircraft, but on my flight last week I was seated in 1D but there was no one next to me in 1E (a number of spare seats in BF on LHR-SFO) so I switched to 1E to try it. Much better for sleeping IMHO. Although the foot well is oddly shaped in 1E when sitting the completed jigsaw puzzle when in lie flat mode is much better for sleeping for me as the foot well is wider. The downside to 1E is that folks line up for the restroom next to you, so would probably choose 6E as the be seat although I have not personally tried it (yet).

I do not like window seats on long haul flights as at only 5' 6" and decidedly middle aged I find it difficult to clamber over the person next to me without waking them (although I will do it on the UD of the 747).
Old Aug 13, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat. Ex: DL PM, AA EXP, VX Gold,
Hey folks. How does bassinet roulette in row 16 work in practice? If I book 16A, will I keep that seat? Could a family with a baby book 16B and 16C and use the bassinet even though I'm in 16A?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by avsrock90
ICould a family with a baby book 16B and 16C and use the bassinet even though I'm in 16A?
Most definitely.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by avsrock90
Hey folks. How does bassinet roulette in row 16 work in practice? If I book 16A, will I keep that seat? Could a family with a baby book 16B and 16C and use the bassinet even though I'm in 16A?
Yes anyone in that row is eligible to use the bassinet, IME odds are you will not have a baby there, also you could call RES and ask them if that is available for a bassinet and if they say no then it is booked with a bassinet
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Hey all, Question about the likelihood of being asked to move from 6A/B or 6K/L due to a family requesting bassinet at the gate? Just wondering if anyone has had this occur. Have all of row 6 booked departing SYD, but am debating picking another row if there's a possibility of being moved at the last minute.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by findark
6DE are strictly superior to 2DE. Barring that, I think it depends on your preferences.
6DE are the best seats up front, period.
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAinAUS
Hey all, Question about the likelihood of being asked to move from 6A/B or 6K/L due to a family requesting bassinet at the gate? Just wondering if anyone has had this occur. Have all of row 6 booked departing SYD, but am debating picking another row if there's a possibility of being moved at the last minute.
I'm pretty sure it's very rare, and definitely not worth avoiding the bulkhead for.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Has been a very long time since I've sat in Y on a 789. I have 24DF with E unoccupied currently. Just wanted to check, as I can't see it above -- does 24, at the back of the E+ section of the cabin, recline normally? Want to keep the empty middle but will move us if it doesn't. Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by halls120
6DE are the best seats up front, period.
2 questions about these seats:

-is it too close to the Y cabin where I will have to listen to crying babies in the bassinets?
-issues with lav proximity?

Going to be putting my sanity to the test by flying LAX-SIN next year, and will be only my 2nd flight on this (the other being LAX-EWR)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.