Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General consensus: In United Polaris business Cabin, 1D and 6D/E are the best seats on this plane due to the giant footrest area and direct aisle access without anyone having to step over you to get to the aisle. 1E is very close to the forward lav, however.
For further details, see poster #1 and also 787-8 thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1394369-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-united-dreamliner-787-8-a.html
UA 787-9 link

Fixed bassinets available at 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF

related thread - Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 789 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Any recent reports regarding snack bar being set up at 6DE? I switched LAX<->MEL<->LAX to these seats based largely on the testimonials found throughout this thread. Then I noticed the post regarding this possibility, which I think I would find highly annoying. I will switch back to row 3 if this is a common occurrence (or is it not as bad as it sounds?).

Thanks much all.
LAX-SIN last month had the wine set up on the shelf for a very good portion of the flight, but no snacks. It wasn't as bothersome as it seemed.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
LAX-SIN last month had the wine set up on the shelf for a very good portion of the flight, but no snacks. It wasn't as bothersome as it seemed.
Well I guess on the one hand that could be convenient - but I think it's back to row 3 for us! Thanks very much for posting - that pic was worth a thousand words to me.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
the drinks on the shelf would be a hassle, I will be moving my seats.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: UAL: 1K; MAR: T
Hi Guys,

I do not have a lot of experience with the seats on 789 (most of my international flights are on 772/773). Please help me pick a Y+ seat. Currently row 17/18 are all taken, back of Y+ has a lot of availability. Only 1 middle seat at row 27 is available, and 29 F/D. Right now all but one standard Y seats are taken, I imagine some of the Y+ seats will be taken by unassigned passengers on day of departure. So I suppose I should try to sit towards the back of Y+ section to potentially score an entire row, or an empty middle seat? How's row 24? I am 5'11'', average size. Much thanks!

(sorry I can't upload a picture of the seats availability as I am under 5 posts)
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: Status? What's that? :)
UA 37 LAX-SIN on Y; Worth to upgrade to E+?

My son (he's nine and short, probably can easily pass as being five) and I will be flying the LAX-SIN on UA37 this coming weekend in the regular Y section (not E+). I no longer have elite status but was curious as to whether it's worth the $183 and $158 additional cost to upgrade to E+? This would be my first time flying a UA's 789 and on this particular route, as we usually take NH via NRT (from IAD) to SIN typically. I'm about 5'10" and my son would be taking the window seat which would mean I'm stuck in the middle.

Looking at the numbers on SeatGuru, the differences for E+ doesn't seem to encouraging as compared to regular E, for this 17+ hour flight (and back).

E+ :35"pitch, 17.3" width, 4" recline
E: 32" pitch, 17.3" width, 3" recline

Last edited by tayd; Aug 6, 2018 at 3:12 pm Reason: Additional Info
Old Aug 18, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by dmo580
Also as explained about the noise, I sleep like a rock, but I think the issue was the engine noise was so bad it was hard to hear whatever movie I was watching last time without cranking the volume way up. It was a noticeable difference compared to sitting in the forward cabin.
If I forgot my Bose 35's for a flight I'd get another pair in the airport, pronto. They go on when I've passed security and off when I unlock the door at home or check-in to the hotel.

Also, this whole thing about airplane noise? Nope, not a problem for me (and I sometimes wake up at home if the central air fan turns on).
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by tayd
My son (he's nine and short, probably can easily pass as being five) and I will be flying the LAX-SIN on UA37 this coming weekend in the regular Y section (not E+). I no longer have elite status but was curious as to whether it's worth the $183 and $158 additional cost to upgrade to E+? This would be my first time flying a UA's 789 and on this particular route, as we usually take NH via NRT (from IAD) to SIN typically. I'm about 5'10" and my son would be taking the window seat which would mean I'm stuck in the middle.

Looking at the numbers on SeatGuru, the differences for E+ doesn't seem to encouraging as compared to regular E, for this 17+ hour flight (and back).

E+ :35"pitch, 17.3" width, 4" recline
E: 32" pitch, 17.3" width, 3" recline
The answer to this is "To Each His Own." While I don't have any experience on the 789 specifically, I can say that on the 772 which I've experienced quite often, I find the extra 3-4 inches to be wonderful. Granted I'm 6-2. 3 inches may not seam like much, but it's enough for me to extend my legs straight and stretch into the underside of the seat in front of me.

One other thing to note is the E+ cabin tends to be the last to fill up. If you sit in the last row of the E+ section, you probably have the best chance of having an empty seat next to you.

One thing you can do is to reserve the two outside seats. This will discourage anyone from booking that middle seat. And if someone does take it, you ask to swap. I don't know anyone who would turn down an aisle seat for a middle seat..

In conclusion, I find E+ worth it all of the time, but you have to decide for yourself if $350 is worth it for some extra comfort.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: points traveller
could anyone help with the bassinet seat numbers in J please?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
Fixed bassinets 787-9 6AB, 6KL, 16ABC, 16DEF, 16JKL, 29DEF
diningdecadence likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
6AB and 6KL. There is a single built-in bassinet at each location.
diningdecadence likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Recent 789 experience was as follows:

Row 3 is pretty good - not too close to either of the J gallies/lavs, sufficient E baby separation. Footwells are indeed tight, especailly 3A/L.

Row 6 was only used by FAs to stage water - mostly carts were used for snacks, and wine was kept in the gallies proper. However, the minicabin is way too close to E for my taste if there are babies registering their displeasure with long-haul air travel. Engine noise is considerable as compared to the forward cabin, but I don’t mind/actually find it somewhat comforting (sadly, not sufficient to drown out aforementioned devil babies).

As an aside...

A couple of noteable exceptions, but mostly the crew working these cabins are as surly as ever. UA will never, ever be able to establish a foothold in the luxury market, regardless of whatever marketing gimmicks they may dream up. This recent MEL adventure should hopefully be the last time I ever redeem a six-figure balance of miles only to suffer at the hands of {FAs} with huge chips on their considerable shoulders; all parter bookings from here on out if I can possibly help it...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 19, 2018 at 8:32 am Reason: OT content removed
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
A couple of noteable exceptions, but mostly the crew working these cabins are as surly as ever.
Sorry to hear you had a poor service experience. The crews I've had on LAX-SIN have been excellent. Service equivalent to or better than recent flights on various Asian carriers.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
We are flying 787-9 LHR-LAX. First time in decades I have flown C. Is it true the footwells at the bulkhead seats are wider than the other seats? Important for someone with size 14 feet! Any preference for 1AB or 6AB?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by kevinsac
We are flying 787-9 LHR-LAX. First time in decades I have flown C. Is it true the footwells at the bulkhead seats are wider than the other seats? Important for someone with size 14 feet! Any preference for 1AB or 6AB?
Yes, the difference is pretty substantial. I prefer 1AB for the better view (less engine; it's actually my favorite pair on the plane) but opinions may vary based on galley noise. Consider also KL for being on the shady side of the plane.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, the difference is pretty substantial. I prefer 1AB for the better view (less engine; it's actually my favorite pair on the plane) but opinions may vary based on galley noise. Consider also KL for being on the shady side of the plane.
I almost always sit in an A seats, except of LH A380, I pick 2K for some reason.

Anyway, thanks for the info on the bigger footwells. Since I will be in C, it will be nice to have that extra comfort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.