Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Be careful when SDCing on which day is offered

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Be careful when SDCing on which day is offered

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I just checked the change flights tool online to see for my flights tomorrow, and all options, including those that have same fare class available based on a new search and are within the SDC window are showing the regular $200 change fee (+ fare difference for not meeting advance purchase requirements).
I have a flight tonight.

On the phone earlier I was seeing one or two $0 options, no change fee. Online I saw more options with different prices (fare difference) and no change fee. Interestingly enough, online UNITED wanted to charge me $84 to SDC to my current itinerary. Those whacky kids.

Now I see no options via the mobile. On the website there are some options with fare difference and change fee, and others with just the fare difference.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Sep 18, 2014 at 3:49 pm
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
...On the website there are some options with fare difference and change fee, and others with just the fare difference.
I bet that the reason I saw some at $0 plus change fee is because I had a fare class that could still be purchased.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I have a flight tonight.

On the phone earlier I was seeing one or two $0 options, no change fee. Online I saw more options with different prices (fare difference) and no change fee. Interestingly enough, online UNITED wanted to charge me $84 to SDC to my current itinerary. Those whacky kids.

Now I see no options via the mobile. On the website there are some options with fare difference and change fee, and others with just the fare difference.
all i do is check the fare buckets on the flights i want. if there is availability, i just call and have them do the SDC.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by haddon90
all i do is check the fare buckets on the flights i want. if there is availability, i just call and have them do the SDC.
That's one way to do it. Assuming your flight/route changes, if any, don't violate the fare rules.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I bet that the reason I saw some at $0 plus change fee is because I had a fare class that could still be purchased.
Yup, that's probably it. It's been this way for a number of months -- maybe a year? Over in the SDC thread, we thought it was a bug at first, but it stuck. It will usually leave out the change fee, but not the (inapplicable) fare difference.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by channa
Worthless?

DL's difference is that the new flight has to be on the same day as the original. So you can't move it +/- a day, but you have a bigger window in some cases.
DL's problems are
- non-medallion companions on the same PNR cannot SDC for free
- no international SDC
- no more access to fare bucket via EF

And more importantly,
- I may be wrong but I don't think DL opens up fare buckets close to departure like UA does. So, at 3 hours before departure, a DL flight can be Y6 B0 M0... while a UA flight is Y6 B6 M6...K6 G6 N6.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
UA's SDC is the main reason im scared of switching to DL. I've heard mixed reports on DL's SDC.
But last time I called UA to SDC, the agent told me he couldn't help because they could only change to the exact same fare class. I always thought one could SDC as long as the same fare bucket, or class of service was open.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
can you SDC to a different city or is it times only? like if im flying into fll can i change to tpa
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by davidviolin
UA's SDC is the main reason im scared of switching to DL. I've heard mixed reports on DL's SDC.
But last time I called UA to SDC, the agent told me he couldn't help because they could only change to the exact same fare class. I always thought one could SDC as long as the same fare bucket, or class of service was open.
Agent was wrong. That's a good time to HUCA. You can change to next available fare class, however, in addition to the SDC fee (if applicable), you also need to pay the fare difference. And you can only do this with an agent - the app/kiosk/web site will only show options if available in the same fare class.

Originally Posted by xkr0p
can you SDC to a different city or is it times only? like if im flying into fll can i change to tpa
No, you can not change cities. The exception is if there is a weather waiver for your airport or flight, you'll get additional options that include nearby airports. However, not that far apart. For example, if flying to FLL and you get the irrops tool, it may offer flights to MIA and PBI as well. But not to TPA.

Agents also may be willing to be more flexible in using co-terminals - i.e., JFK instead of LGA, DCA instead of IAD, etc. However, that's YMMV.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by xkr0p
Theres a thread on this, but unless irrops, theres not much hope of that ever happening.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:02 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by davidviolin
Theres a thread on this, but unless irrops, theres not much hope of that ever happening.
Looks like merged into said thread now @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.