Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Where is R (Confirmed Upgrade to Business/Domestic F Availability in 2014)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where is R (Confirmed Upgrade to Business/Domestic F Availability in 2014)?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
PV_Premier - Thank you for taking the time to document this lack of upgrade availability. Unfortunately I think UA leaves us two unpleasant alternatives:

Good luck. I recently booked NRT-LAX 10/27. R0 at time of booking. Cleared WL last week. R remains 0. Of course this is a gamble.
      Originally Posted by cesco.g
      Better yet, look for P=9.
      this is really the only strategy, coupled with listening to wives' tales on FT about route that are typically easier to clear than others. i don't really care about W, i'll book Q/H/U/E if needed, but i want R open when i do it.

i don't like using the current data to predict the future, flight loads are dynamic over the season and past performance isn't always an indicator of future success.

this morning i did find new outbound R via KIX, which is about as useful as the possible outbound R via LHR. i think i am just going to cut my losses and book CX premium economy. the devil you know (CX) vs the one you don't (UA waitlist)...
      Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by bseller
      Since 3/2012, at the time of the CO takeover, sorry - MERGER, this might have started to be the case.

I can assure you that UA did NOT have such a policy in place prior to that.

Since you're relatively new here, and in order to confirm this for yourself and not rely on others I would merely challenge you to find a thread, any thread at all in the (pre-consolidated) UA FT forum that suggested so.

IMO, absence of this would be tantamount to proof positive that UA has changed it's way of doing business.

Dave
      Why does everyone here continue the UA vs CO game, seriously, people need to get over that. Focus on the future and not trying to change the past to get back to the "good old days."

I've been on this forum for nearly 4 years, and truly joined nearly 2 years ago - yes, I know many members have been here much longer, but to say I don't have a clue about what UA may have been like before is a load of crap. This is what is wrong sometimes with this forum is those who have been here for 10+ years don't ever allow new people to join....now I understand why some new posters are always afraid to make a jump and post that first time question or comment.
      Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: AADULtArer
      Originally Posted by dank0014
      Why does everyone here continue the UA vs CO game, seriously, people need to get over that. Focus on the future and not trying to change the past to get back to the "good old days."

I've been on this forum for nearly 4 years, and truly joined nearly 2 years ago - yes, I know many members have been here much longer, but to say I don't have a clue about what UA may have been like before is a load of crap. This is what is wrong sometimes with this forum is those who have been here for 10+ years don't ever allow new people to join....now I understand why some new posters are always afraid to make a jump and post that first time question or comment.
      Hint...an ignore list of about 10-12 people makes this forum great!

Have a good day!!
      Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
      I'm on ORD-LAX-SYD-MEL MEL-(787)-LAX-ORD in late October.

My 757 ORD-LAX flight has only two seats in the front cabin taken and no R

I'm expecting upgrade at the gate or not at all..
      Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:41 am

It's all discussed in the 2Q thread on inventory management.

But UA has always had the practice of not opening up all the R space for upgrades. That is nothing new
      Thanks for the pointer. I will look at the thread. Would be helpful to know, simply, what SMI J presumably said in regards specifically to the R space issue being discussed here.

The second statement, that "UA" has "always" had the practice of not opening up R space, is completely false.

UA was very generous in releasing R space before it was taken over by CO.

"The practice of not opening up" R space for upgrades was introduced by the CO managers after they took control of UA.

As a further clarification, OP did not start this thread to discuss why "all" R space isn't open. OP started this thread to discuss the observation the no R space is available on any of the wide range of flights that were searched.

Last edited by FlyWorld; Sep 16, 2014 at 9:52 am
      Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:08 am
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another tool is to set an alert on EF for "P" class. This prevents from having check availability constantly, as "R" typically does not show, if P=0.
      Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:29 am
      A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
      It's dynamic. R availability was quite good to Asia over the summer. It's also open closer in. My suspicion is it will open again, particularly on the NRT/HND flights. Not much good if you're looking to book right now though.
      Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:41 am
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
      Originally Posted by txflyer77
      When you searched, did you search segment by segment? Sometimes R space won't show up if one segment of an itinerary is R0. Especially annoying when it's some CR7 route with R0 tricking you into thinking SFO-NRT or whatever has no R space.
      You need to check both due to married segment availability.
      Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
      Originally Posted by Col Ronson
      i've noticed that on UA839 LAX-SYD, any open C seats correspond to open R availability on the day of departure. Just checked UA839 for today (Jan 22) and its showing RN2

Funny how the waiting list for upgrades is long. Anyone smart would call in and snipe the remaining R seats ASAP.
      Not on 22 March where I am wait listed. C9 R0 RN0
      Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:31 pm
      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
      to say I don't have a clue about what UA may have been like before is a load of crap.
      Your statement about UA doing this for a LONG while was false. Pure and simple.

Why not just take up my upthread challenge to find a post - ANY POST - that supports your assertion, rather than complaining that you've been unfairly treated??

Dave
      Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by bseller
      Your statement about UA doing this for a LONG while was false. Pure and simple.
      His or her claim was not that UA has done this for a LONG while but that UA has "always" restricted R inventory as they are restricting it now.

That statement could not possibly be more false.
      Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, MR Gold (lifetime)
      Originally Posted by PV_Premier
      i'm looking at booking an upcoming trip. on 3 possible outbound travel dates in October, i have looked at all of the following:
      • All possible routes US->FRA
      • All possible routes US->NRT
      • All possible routes US->HKG
      • All possible routes to TPE, CTU, MUC, DXB, KWI, BOM, and DEL

In all of the above, over the 3 day period, R=0.

In fact the only place I found R was to LHR (not even AMS or BRU had it!!).

On the return trip, which has a two day window of possibility, I have checked:
      • NRT
      • TPE
      • CTU
      • HKG
      • HND
      • KIX

And again, the big nada.

This is possibly the worst I have ever seen it. Always I can find at least one R seat to FRA at 30 days out. Maybe I should buy the K fares and wait for the TOD?
      I am seeing R space on SFO to KIX in October. For example depart Oct 9 and return Oct 16. So, this is a route you might want to explore
      Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA - GS, MM
      I'm looking for IAH-FCO for anytime in April or May and trying to find any flight with R availability. So far nothing. I called and asked my GS rep and she said UA has not released any upgrade seats for that time period and I should just wait a month and call back and she could check.
      Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:16 pm
      A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
      Originally Posted by thptrek
      I'm looking for IAH-FCO for anytime in April or May and trying to find any flight with R availability. So far nothing. I called and asked my GS rep and she said UA has not released any upgrade seats for that time period and I should just wait a month and call back and she could check.
      Don't search IAH-FCO. Search EWR-FCO or IAD-FCO and then look for the connecting flight to IAH.

If you are a GS, your upgrade clears into PN, not R.
      Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
      Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
      I'm on ORD-LAX-SYD-MEL MEL-(787)-LAX-ORD in late October.

My 757 ORD-LAX flight has only two seats in the front cabin taken and no R

I'm expecting upgrade at the gate or not at all..
      Very funny.. After posting this the upgrade for that segment cleared.. 1/4 down.. 3 more to go!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.