Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA survey asks for my birthdate!?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Question UA survey asks for my birthdate!?

I got an e-mail from United asking "my opinion" and wanting me to respond to a survey. Usually I just ignore this but for reasons I still don't understand I clicked to take the survey.

First question: "Before you start, what is your birthday? (Month, year)"

Are they out of their minds? Is anyone stupid enough to give this information on an Internet survey? I didn't go to question 2, which I assume was "What is your mother's maiden name?" followed by "what is the last 4 digits of your SSN?"
Old Sep 13, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I got an e-mail from United asking "my opinion" and wanting me to respond to a survey. Usually I just ignore this but for reasons I still don't understand I clicked to take the survey.

Are they out of their minds? Is anyone stupid enough to give this information on an Internet survey? I didn't go to question 2, which I assume was "What is your mother's maiden name?" followed by "what is the last 4 digits of your SSN?"
They are just looking at demographics. They won't ask all those other questions and just a month and a year doesn't really give them much personal info. Do you know how many people are born the same year and month as you? Probably millions throughout the world. Wouldn't worry about it. Now if the also asked for day, that would be different. And you could also just put a fake month and year.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Optimal play is to clearly put you are born in the last 6 months to throw off their stats
Old Sep 13, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
You're clearly a privacy-savvy individual, but to sneer that every person who takes such a survey is "stupid" is simply grandstanding. Your birth month and year aren't remotely personally identifiable. Honestly, what would make you think they were?

And more to the point, UA already knows my birthday! I gave it to them when I entered my passport information and -- gasp -- credit card info on their website. While the threats of hacking and identity theft are real -- along with millions of others, I got burned by the Target breach in 2013 -- the reality is that they are rare.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, to expand to the OP.

How could you possibly know if the survey was stupid or what the questions were going to be if you didn't even make it past the 1st thing asking you month and year of birth?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
It's likely a dynamic survey that asks different questions based on your answers.

If you're under 21, for example, it may not ask about alcohol on board.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Do you wear your tinfoil hat through the body scanners when passing through security?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Second this. That's just demographics, not a quest for personal information.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Not to mention it's only asking for MM/YYYY & not DD...if someone were that worried you could just put it off by like a month or two.

Now I'm wondering what Baskin Robbins has done with all my info because as a kid they knew my BD & would send me a coupon for a free scoop.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
You're clearly a privacy-savvy individual, but to sneer that every person who takes such a survey is "stupid" is simply grandstanding. Your birth month and year aren't remotely personally identifiable. Honestly, what would make you think they were?

And more to the point, UA already knows my birthday! I gave it to them when I entered my passport information and -- gasp -- credit card info on their website. While the threats of hacking and identity theft are real -- along with millions of others, I got burned by the Target breach in 2013 -- the reality is that they are rare.
Face it. They know everything about you - your address, telephone number, email address, credit cards (if you book on united.com), everywhere you have traveled in the last 5 years (at least on United), passport information. Most of the time, they know whether you have a wife or children, MP Chase credit card... it just goes on and on.

I am waiting to be burned by the Home Depot breach. I shop there at least twice a week and always use a credit/debit card.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by eghansen:23522487
Originally Posted by Eric Westby

Face it. They know everything about you - your address, telephone number, email address, credit cards (if you book on united.com), everywhere you have traveled in the last 5 years (at least on United), passport information. Most of the time, they know whether you have a wife or children, MP Chase credit card... it just goes on and on.

I am waiting to be burned by the Home Depot breach. I shop there at least twice a week and always use a credit/debit card.
+1 on home Depot. I just received a survey for improving rhapsody bc they know I fly F. I wouldn't complete it
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Are they out of their minds? Is anyone stupid enough to give this information on an Internet survey?
Add 3 to the month, and subtract 1 from the year. Gets them close enough to the data they want without giving away anything person.

Remember, UA already has this information (including day) - it's part of the secure flight data.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yep, exactly
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: UA Silver
UA already knows a lot about me: birthday, passport #, address, etc. So, although that question seems unnecessary, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by eghansen
There's nothing to "face" per se: that's how I and most consumers want it. I want UA to send me offers that I might actually use, and I want to be able to check out without re-entering my credit card info every time.

While high-profile identity thefts are no fun, the reality is that they are rare. Once the US switches to chip and PIN technology, credit card fraud will most likely drop by an order of magnitude, as it has elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.