Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mixed Cabin Checked Baggage Rules? [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM

How does the checked baggage policy work for mixed cabin itineraries?

Example, checking in at BKK for NH/TG (Y cabin) to NRT, then overwater in UA C to SFO, then UA (Y cabin) to PHX.

IIRC, checked baggage rules defer to the longest segment (ie "most significant carrier" is the IATA wording), right? So, a non-elite in booked in UA C (overwater segment) would be entitled to 2 bags w/o charge?

What about the reverse? Example, checking in at PHX for UA Y cabin to SFO, then UA C to NRT, then TG/NH Y to BKK. The check in agent in PHX should not charge for 2 checked bags per C cabin rules
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Correct on both counts.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
I would on online to United.com, view your reservation and print out your receipt. Below the itinerary and seating information is a very specific breakdown of how much baggage is free and what the charges are for additional bags. It is usually on the second page. Take this page to the airport.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bad information here. US law provides that for tickets to/from the USA, the baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment is the allowance for all segments of that ticket, including the return.

Who is the marketing carrier for your BKK-NRT segment and what is the allowance for that segment?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Often1
Bad information here. US law provides that for tickets to/from the USA, the baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment is the allowance for all segments of that ticket, including the return.

Who is the marketing carrier for your BKK-NRT segment and what is the allowance for that segment?
I flew LHR to PTY thru EWR, all on UA. LHR - EWR was on Y. I upgraded my EWR - PTY leg to J as it was ~price of the E+ seat I was going to buy anyway. After purchasing that upgrade my baggage allowance changed on the UA site from 1 pieces free to 2 pieces free. I checked in and they put priority tag on my bag. I had no status at the time

Same on way back, and again baggage changed from 1 piece to 2 pieces
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
Correct on both counts.
That jives with what I remember.

Originally Posted by Often1
Huh? I've never heard of this before. I'm afraid that this is how the ground agent in PHX or the ground agent in BKK will interpret things.

I'm not sure if I'm going to go TG or NH out of BKK yet...
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Mixed cabin UA baggage allowance

Hi - I'm looking to book with miles a one-way ticket MCO>EWR>MAD on UA. Right now it's in Y for MCO>EWR (no F availability) and C for EWR>MAD. As I have a bag that's about 60lbs, and I have no status on UA, I'm wondering if the agent in MCO can charge me an excess bag charge even though I'm travelling in C on the international leg. Anyone know anything definitive about this? Thank you.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Since it's an all UA flight, they'll give you the 70 lb allowance due to the international leg being in C. Were it a mixed itinerary, it would depend on the IATA and DOT regulations and other considerations. This will be apparent immediately after booking (the baggage allowance and weight will be on your e-ticket e-mail).
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:00 pm

Thank you for this information!
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Matthew_DC
Thank you for this information!
You also get United Club access at MCO and EWR due to front-cabin flight out of EWR.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:08 pm

Thanks! I wondered about that and wasn't expecting it. It's good news.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Baggage allowance for mixed- cabin

If outbound is in J and inbound in Y on a single ticket, does J allowance apply for entire trip?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:26 pm

No you will have to pay for the baggage on the return according the the weight/size and your status.

If you are on a first class ticket connecting to a Y ticket (one direction of travel, assuming all domestic) you would receive the premium cabin baggage allowance.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 1353513636
If outbound is in J and inbound in Y on a single ticket, does J allowance apply for entire trip?
Yes. 1 baggage allowance for the entire ticket.

You can check your allowance at the bottom on your receipt.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:47 pm

Complicated Question Involving Baggage Fees w/ Interline & Mixed Fares

I have the following itinerary coming up and I'll have 3 checked bags for the outbound.
SOF-VIE
OS in paid Economy (W)

VIE-LHR
OS in paid Economy (W)

LHR-LAX
UA in Business (Note: Economy (W) purchased, then upgraded to (R) with cleared GPU)
Two Questions.

Baggage: I know I get at least 2 bags - one included with the OS and a second bag for being Star Gold. I'm wondering whether the OS first carrier will allow me 3 bags based on either (a) the most significant carrier rule and UA as MSC would give me 3, or (b) the fact that I'm in business for the long-haul, the MSC segment, and I'd get 2 for business class plus a third for Star Gold.

Cost of Extra Bag. If they force me to pay for the third bag, could I get the intra-Europe price of €80 even though it's checked thru to LAX because I'm a Star Gold in business for LHR-LAX? Or will I have to pay the crazy €250 for the extra bag?

Anyone have experience with this? Many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.