Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Singled out for document verification on an international flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singled out for document verification on an international flight?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Come on - show me the rule where any person who is flying to a foreign country doesn't have to show a passport?
I haven't had to show a physical passport (or any document) entering Canada ever since I got my Nexus card.

Originally Posted by fastair
The FAA and the TSA (as well as the airlines) think so.
And for many years people thought the world was flat, too.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Sep 7, 2014 at 3:02 pm
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Point 1 - from someone who actually knows what they are talking about

Point 2 -
*What CBP? The OP was leaving the USA to Asia via Canada. What exactly does CPB have to do with this? You dont think the CBP would have asked on arrival, how long the OP is in the USA for, and where going afterwards? Clearly you havent entered the USA as a foreigner, and have no clue about the pleasantries exchanged with US CBP on arrival
*Singling out??? As explained by other posters, UA is obliged to check documentations, and if BP doesnt say DOCS OK - the GA is obliged to pull that person aside - whether it be one person or twenty people, whether they be american or from the moon
*Again, its not US policy
Point 1 - not sure what to say other than I travel internationally almost weekly and UA let me fly 2/3's of the way to SIN without PROPER documentation - you see, SIN has different policies that other Asian countires - do you know that?

Point 2 - YOU brought up CBP when you talked about security upon arrival - read your own notes please... I was just pointing out that CBP wouldn't necessarily be concerned with OP departure travels - especially if they enter with proper documentation to the US - as a non -US citizen.

Point 3 - it IS US POLICY - you actually think UA has different policy than AA, DL in this matter?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I haven't had to show a physical passport (or any document) entering Canada ever since I got my Nexus card.

And for many years people thought the world was flat, too.
LOL and please explain to everyone what you had to do to get that Nexus card? If you have global entry then you don't have to do a lot of things - but thats not what we are talking about here is it? Nice add but irrelevant....
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Point 1 - not sure what to say other than I travel internationally almost weekly and UA let me fly 2/3's of the way to SIN without PROPER documentation - you see, SIN has different policies that other Asian countires - do you know that?
duh, exactly, UA does not check passports when boarding flights to Asia because the policy is Canada specific, as explained to you by multiple posters

I suggest you try to get onto a flight to China, Russia, India, or Brazil, and see how many times your passport is checked for a visa.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:29 pm

duh, exactly, UA does not check passports when boarding flights to Asia because the policy is Canada specific, as explained to you by multiple posters

I suggest you try to get onto a flight to China, Russia, India, or Brazil, and see how many times your passport is checked for a visa.
What the heck are you talking about - my passport is checked on EVERY international flight from the us - period! Do you have any idea what you're talking about - I mean really? This isn't about Canada - in spite of what other here may think lol! Visa requirements are irrelevant - I don't need one for the UK lol but they check my passport - is that a UK thing to you?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Sorry, but that is rubbish. On the other hand, there is a lot of misinformation in other posts as well.

This entire issue has nothing to do with TSA, border security or attitudes towards foreigners. It has everything to do with the fact that when a commercial carrier presents a passenger at a foreign destination without proper docs., the carrier is: 1) fined; 2) responsible for all local costs such as security; and 3) must transport the passenger back to his origin. That is all that UA cares about.

When a passenger is headed on a first segment to one country and onward to another, it is in the carrier's interest to check the final destination docs because if the passenger is denied boarding xCountry 2, he gets returned to the origin.

Here, we have a person boarding a flight from the USA-CANADA with onward connections to SINGAPORE. He is a national of some unknown fourth country. While one might reasonably expect the agents boarding a flight from the USA to CANADA to know the entry requirements for CANADA for those traveling on USA passports and perhaps a few more, it is unreasonable for them to know the requirements for travel to SINGAPORE via CANADA.

Hence, the agent needed to look up OP's situation in TIMATIC and verify that OP's docs were OK.

UA never should have compensated OP at all because UA not only did nothing wrong, but it did everything right and it is OP who loused up by -- as an experienced traveler not having his docs verified prior to boarding.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
This entire issue has nothing to do with TSA, border security or attitudes towards foreigners. It has everything to do with the fact that when a commercial carrier presents a passenger at a foreign destination without proper docs., the carrier is: 1) fined; 2) responsible for all local costs such as security; and 3) must transport the passenger back to his origin. That is all that UA cares about.
Exactly. As has been repeated numerous times, yet some peoples skulls are too thick to accept that as the only reason for the OP's situation, and have brought some weird notions of security and terrorists into this

What the heck are you talking about - my passport is checked on EVERY international flight from the us - period! Do you have any idea what you're talking about - I mean really? This isn't about Canada - in spite of what other here may think lol! Visa requirements are irrelevant - I don't need one for the UK lol but they check my passport - is that a UK thing to you?

So we are supposed to believe you, who started off by making some ridicuolous statements of Japan never experiencing terrorism over the posts by UA GATE STAFF in this thread ... yeah ... ok...
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:45 pm

Exactly. As has been repeated numerous times, yet some peoples skulls are too thick to accept that as the only reason for the OP's situation, and have brought some weird notions of security and terrorists into this
That's my thick skull - and I thought it was relevant having just returned from a flight to Frankfurt where after arrival i flew to Denmark and took a train to Sweden and no one ever checked my passport after arrival in FRA - in spite of entering two new countries - quite different than the USA - which to me is likely what op is used to....

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Sep 7, 2014 at 4:02 pm
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's my thick skull - and I thought it was relevant having just returned from a flight to Frankfurt where after arrival i flew to Denmark and took a train to Sweden and no one ever checked my passport after arrival in FRA - in spite of entering two new countries - quite different than the USA - which to menus likely what op is used to....
Do you have any clue?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement

Like others said, its all about the cost, zero about security, or US border policy.
Why cant you understand that?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:54 pm

So we are supposed to believe you, who started off by making some ridicuolous statements of Japan never experiencing terrorism over the posts by UA GATE STAFF in this thread ... yeah ... ok...
Well - I brought it up as a reason why the USA does thing different than other countries in the world that haven't been through what we have - wasn't making a huge deal of it like you are.... For example - how many other countries in the world make you claim baggage and go through immigration and security when just transiting? Not many - and for good reason IMO - you may not agree - but it doesn't make my point invalid - and wasn't trying to inflame anything like you seem to be....
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:58 pm

Do you have any clue?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement

Like others said, its all about the cost, zero about security, or US border policy.
Why cant you understand that?
Because honestly you just are wrong. I work in the industry and as fastair pointed out the us airlines are most certainly part if the security system. In the US if your docs aren't checked you aren't supposed to board - period. It's not a UA thing - period.

EDIT - just to be clear - why do you think the carriers are FINED if they don't do it? Its because that's the policy they are supposed to folow - which is SET by the government / international treaties, not the airlines - and if they don't do it then it's a steep fine. Last time I checked the US governement doesn't fine an airline if they don't follow a "best practices" or "suggested" rule, do they?

And yes I am aware of EU Schengen LOL - I use it all the time - much like I thought OP might be used to which is why I brought up the point... Unfortunately, the US doesn't work like that - at all...

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Sep 7, 2014 at 4:08 pm
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because honestly you just are wrong. I work in the industry and as fastair pointed out the us airlines are most certainly part if the security system. In the US if your docs aren't checked you aren't supposed to board - period. It's not a UA thing - period.
yes we are all wrong that docs are checked because its about the money and costs of deportation/fines.

yes you are right docs are checked by gate agents its because of US security and terrorists.

Better?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:26 pm

yes we are all wrong that docs are checked because its about the money and costs of deportation/fines.

yes you are right docs are checked by gate agents its because of US security and terrorists.

Better?
Well this doesn't help does it? If you can't support your opinion with facts then don't do this... All I'm saying is that my position is well supported by real laws, facts, and realities - and your attempts to make big deals out of minor points I bring up (like why US security is the way it is or why OP may have different expectations after travelling in APAC or EU (Schengen)) don't help your arguments at all. As someone who has been here a long time I'm honestly surprised at your reactions....

The facts are that yes the US airlines are part of the US security system, yes they are fined if they don't follow the rules (set by the government, not them - and they are fined severely if they don't follow them) and OP was singled out bc they didn't have their documents validated - plain and simple. UA didn't do it to SAVE money - just as AA and DL wouldn't have either - they did it bc its the RULE - and although it's true they would be fined if they didn't do it - the true underlying reason is security - not fine avoidance as you so dearly want to make this in to...

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Sep 7, 2014 at 7:30 pm
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:36 pm

??

Originally Posted by GS8101
I never understand why GA has to check passports again. Maybe you don't look like someone from the (your so-called decent) county?
The OP was flying EWR-YYZ - Like it or not, its mandatory to present a passport at the gate for cross-border flights, its not a UA-only rule
It doesnt matter if you are from a 'decent' country or not.

oh the humanity... bin space on a E145 (which there isnt any for seat 2A anyway)
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
In every other country that I've been to, not only are international passengers segregated from domestic passengers (usually in a separate terminal), clearly telling me that I am not one of them, but I still have to show my passport at the gate even though I have had already shown my passport at check-in and then again at immigration. But I guess because it's a country not called USA, they must be doing things the right way.
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Actually, as Rankourabu noted, it is standard practice on flights to Canada from the US that all passports are checked prior to boarding, agents generally make an announcement to go to the counter to have them checked. This is irrespective of the country that issued your passport. Since I do such flights on UA, AC and AA just about every month, I always ensure I get to the gate from the lounge prior to the boarding time and go to the counter to show my passport (Canadian...and proud to let anyone know that rather important fact the OP seems overly reluctant to reveal). OP may have been using the UC and missed the gate announcement about having their passport checked at the counter, thus incurring the check as he boarded.

So this is actually a normal procedure for such transborder flights and had nothing to do with the nationality of the OP or his passport. Much ado about nothing!
Lol I show my us drivers license every time at check in and have never been denied access to my flight - what are you talking about? In order to get on a plane to a foreign country you have to show a passport - and OP apparently didn't do that plain and simple - it's not about cost it's about the rules plain and simple....
So settle it for us once and for all
a) passports are checked because its the rule to Canada
b) passports are checked because the airline doesnt want to pay fines/costs of return
c) passports are checked because "places like Japan and Hong Kong never had thousands of citizens die in a terrorist attack, so their security protocols are lax."
The OP isn't complaining about being asked to show his passport. I don't see why so many posters are focusing on that requirement.

He's complaining about what happened AFTER he showed his passport and how it was handled.

See the bolded section:

Originally Posted by nanyang
I would be quite interested to hear everyone's feedback on the following minor incident (this was in May 2014, but did not think of starting this topic until posting about another issue with UA on FT recently).

- Would the following annoy you if you were in my shoes?
- Would you bother to complain?

Ticket: EWR-YYZ-TPE-SIN (first segment on UA regional partner ERJ-145 / next 2 segments on BR) / J class redemption using UA miles

Status in UA prog: 1K

"incident":

- boarding EWR-YYZ (group 1); upon seeing my passport, the gate agent said "country name, please step aside", while the rest of the pax continued to board

- I have a passport of one of those countries that qualify for visa free access to 173 countries:
http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin...he-world-20140
- went to adjacent ticket desk to explain the issue
- the lady there told me to present passport + paperwork to enter SIN
- after a cursory check, she shouted to the gate agent that I was ok to board
-...and I was able to board among the tail end of the queue
- a/c was ERJ-145 (ExpressJet?) ...

Your thoughts?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:04 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
So settle it for us once and for all
a) passports are checked because its the rule to Canada
b) passports are checked because the airline doesnt want to pay fines/costs of return
c) passports are checked because "places like Japan and Hong Kong never had thousands of citizens die in a terrorist attack, so their security protocols are lax."
A and b afaik

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.