Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 738 with only 32 rows and 10 seats in F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear

Flying HKG>SGN in a couple weeks, and according to UA's website the 738 we're on is in a truly oddball configuration, unlike any of the versions they list on their website:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...0/default.aspx

Here's ours, supposedly:

Should we stick with 20B/C, since it appears to be a two-person row? It's only a three-hour flight, so it's not the end of the world if we end up with someone next to us. Is 20B a true window seat? Seatguru is no help.

Is the seat map in error, or is this a plane that will be reconfigured so soon that they haven't bothered to account for it on their 738 fleet page? Oh, one more piece of data indicating the seat map is wrong: UA says nine seats in F are available for upgrading -- at a truly ridiculous price -- but as the current seat map shows, only six seats are even open.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
not familiar with this configuration. In others, row 20 seats do not recline, but row 21 seats do. Good luck.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
20B is placed in line with the middle seats. There's an empty gap the size of a seat, just as the seating chart shows. So it's not like you can look down out the window from the seat.

It's been a long time since I've been on the old 738, but if I remember correctly, the exit rows were configured this way. I don't, however, remember seeing F in this configuration.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Looks like it's basically this one, minus 1AB

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._737-700_B.php
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I had a ICN-NRT 738 flight like this earlier in the year. There are actually more seats on the place than are shown in the seatmap.

They don't show seats that might not be there depending on which 737 configuration actually flies the itinerary. About three to five days ahead of departure, more seats will magically appear in both cabins on the seating chart.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
That looks like Micronesia configured 73G - i.e. 737-700. There is a closet in place of two FC seats IIRC.

Probably another glitch.

Just like my flight from IAD to DUB showed non jet equipment, Q400, though seatmap was correct
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It's the Guam 737 config.

20B is a window seat, and row 20 is non-reclining.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Since it's only three hours I think we'll stick with 20 rather than move to 21 and have to deal with someone else in our row.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:47 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Thanks for the replies. Since it's only three hours I think we'll stick with 20 rather than move to 21 and have to deal with someone else in our row.
Keep in mind that where row 20 is the first of the two exit rows, there will be limited to no recline and if it was me, I would opt for row 21 as it will have full recline
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:58 pm

Also keep in mind that the space under 14A is for 21A's bag.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mduell
It's the Guam 737 config.

20B is a window seat
Only slightly. There is no one to your left but you also aren't actually against the window; you're still 18" away from being able to lean against it or look outside.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Get 21A & 21C. If someone takes 21B they will love the opportunity to sit in the aisle when u asked them to trade with you. Don't sit in row 20 as for reasons above. 21A/F are one of the best seats in E/E+ imo
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Note that these are NOT listed as Economy Plus seats. This reminds me of the old 735s, where there was a missing seat right at the window exit, but the seat pitch of the two exit rows was 31" - it still met FAA requirements for egress that way. 21A and F would have essentially unlimited seat pitch because of the lack of a seat directly in front of them.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Note that these are NOT listed as Economy Plus seats. This reminds me of the old 735s, where there was a missing seat right at the window exit, but the seat pitch of the two exit rows was 31" - it still met FAA requirements for egress that way. 21A and F would have essentially unlimited seat pitch because of the lack of a seat directly in front of them.
Actually they are marked as E+ seats on the UA website, though the seatguru page indicates otherwise. Another oddity.

I know all about row 21 in general, as well as the A/C trick. I just figured if there were a two-seat row I would t need to employ it!
Old Sep 6, 2014, 6:45 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Actually they are marked as E+ seats on the UA website, though the seatguru page indicates otherwise.
Pre merger CO started to sell bulkhead and exit row seats as extra legroom, so it comes from there.

And most of Air Mike fleet has does not have E+ IIRC, though I believe they started converting them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.