Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA - a global airline but not for "foreigners"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA - a global airline but not for "foreigners"?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WhyPayRent
Wait...what? Seriously this happens? I have bought tickets for other people and this has never happened.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic here or not but this can happen! Every time I buy a ticket on SG or TG it states during the transaction that you must present the purchasing card at the airport for verification, and every time when I check-in I've been asked to show the card.

One time in BKK I gave the TG agent a wrong card just to see what would happen and even though the name was the same she wouldn't check me in until I produced the right card. It was no big deal as I had the right card, but it was pretty clear if I didn't then I would need to buy a new ticket.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Originally Posted by fastair

Please stop misquoting me [...]

I also didn't say this was solely used as a security measure in reference to why UA does this on it's PoS sales, I stated that UA (I don't know about CO) and many other corporation use billing address of CC as a security measure. Again, read what was written, not what dumbed down thoughts you want me to say and reference what I write, not what I didn't write. Again, read my sig. It's a simple concept, quote what people write, summarize the ideas they give, don't interject things that are not there.

And I'm far from a cheerleader, I just like looking at situations objectively.
I'm not misquoting you.

First, you claimed that there was nothing wrong with United's practices and that the OP was wrong for taking umbrage at them.

Next, you claimed that United''s practices were defensible because "POS restrictions" are a widespread practice.

Again and again and again, you completely miss the point. The OP is taking umbrage at the bait and switch pricing on United's website. That he felt singled out for having an address outside the US added insult to injury.

That you have difficulty understanding this explains why you may be successful at your company - it's the same kind of tone-deaf response I have come to expect from United.

And you claim to be seeing this objectively. You're not seeing it objectively. You're not seeing the issue at all.

Credit card security practices are a complete red herring and have absolutely nothing to do with the OP's issue. Once more, an exchange with you reminds me of many of the exchanges I've had that prompted me to HUCA. That this is an acronym you understand should tell you something, but I'm guessing it doesn't.

Last edited by embarcadero1; Sep 5, 2014 at 10:39 pm
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1.3 Million Mile, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President Circle, Global Entry
What is up with the personal attacks here and other threads? They are seeming to be becoming more personal and more strident. Since "logic" and "logical" are favorite terms to toss about in some threads, equating the characteristics of a poster to the characteristics of his or her employer seems to have a hint of Fallacy of Division issues.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 1:00 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by adagio
What is up with the personal attacks here and other threads? They are seeming to be becoming more personal and more strident. Since "logic" and "logical" are favorite terms to toss about in some threads, equating the characteristics of a poster to the characteristics of his or her employer seems to have a hint of Fallacy of Division issues.
The terms "Stockholm Syndrome", "cheerleader" and "apologist" come up any time someone offers a reasonable explanation or debate when someone posts a negative. One cannot debate or discuss with an open mind for fear of joining the Jonestown cult of apologist cheerleaders. Anyone who debates is either an employee or stockholder who must have a financial interest in disagreeing (because their views never have any merit, or so It seems.) They are illogical and need to be fired and/or liquidated. When you can document your point to be valid by direct quotation, it gets ignored or even denied, even though it is there in black and white. It's like the revolutions that become totalitarian states, you either join the revolution and shout out at the top of your lungs, or get labeled as a collaborator and attacked as moderates are anti-revolutionary and must be purged.

Only a few people have made the majority of their posts say the exact same thing. I don't mind, it's humorous, I only mind when either an outright lie is posted or a quote is twisted to mean something that it isn't. Not everyone is as frequent a viewer to know that 250 posts say the same thing over the past few years and know to take them with a grain of salt, so when one of these misquotes or factual inaccuracies pop up, I call them out. They never get corrected though, only twisted more, and addl insults added, focusing not on what was said, but on what the other person wants to say.

Last edited by fastair; Sep 6, 2014 at 1:24 am
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Bottom line: the OP is justifiably angry and United is at fault

Bottom line here: the OP's anger and annoyance is completely justified. United handles web sales poorly, despite myriad examples of ways that market based pricing can be achieved without irritating consumers.

Despite attempts to claim otherwise, there is no excuse for bait-and-switch pricing, and no need whatsoever to make consumers feel that they're being unfairly targeted because of their residence.

It's remarkable to me that the most vociferous defenders of poor service play the victim card whenever it is pointed out to them that they are making excuses for mediocrity.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by embarcadero1
Bottom line here: the OP's anger and annoyance is completely justified.
OP did not say he was angry - that is your interpretation. There are more important things to be angry about than how much one pays for an air ticket and with which credit card. The OP still bough the ticket in a roundabout way. All of us in this forum know the system and the rules of the game and have different ways (like the OP did) of getting round the rules. Lets not raise this issue beyond those raised by the OP.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
I'm happy to pay a few Dollar more for no need to do the PQD-thing.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:52 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This thread is, at least, temporarily, closed for Moderator review, including deep thread cleaning. As it's the weekend, there may be a delay in marshaling and deploying all needed hazmet equipment. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.