Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beta testing new IFE devices

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
United sends an email to pax to say their flight will have a beta experience of the Streaming Entertainment. They go on to direct you to united.com/pde to review and prepare your devices in advance of your trip.

I'm not sure how much "better" they should inform people?
Maybe they are, but from a few of the people in this thread are having a hard time understanding how this work.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM / Hilton Diamond
Question Right App?

I have the United app on my ipad, but there is also an app available now called "United Player" Live TV
Description - The United Player App is designed to play encrypted movies and TV shows provided on select United 737 aircraft. Download the United app to play encrypted movies and TV shows on other select United aircraft"
There are no reviews / ratings. Its free. Is this what I need?
The current United app I have is the same one as on my iphone - no differences that I can see, also nothing on there about playing video etc, also no updates available
Do I need to download the "United Player" app?
Thanks
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by dcman
Maybe they are, but from a few of the people in this thread are having a hard time understanding how this work.
It seems they either have a hard time with English comprehension or following instructions
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by dcman
I don't see it being that EZ. If I remember right the Flash installer is a universal installer, they compile one for Mac one for Linux and one for Win. When you run the installer it profiles your machine and then download/install only the necessary file for your exact setup.
It is as easy as I posted. Flash comes with downloadable installers so that an IT department can install it on multiple PCs. A quick search brings this up: http://www.adobe.com/products/player...tribution.html

United can get the ability to use this and offer any version of Flash they want on their landing page (Mac vs Windows) and it's all self-contained. No WLAN required.

-RM
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I had the beta on a 320 SFO-SEA last night. Worked fine for one episode of 2.5 Men, then when I tried to watch another episode, I got the message that due to "heavy bandwidth demand" the system was unavailable. The aircraft was less than half full. I was unable to connect the remainder of the flight.

Nice job UA
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:00 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Tested the system this past Sunday on 2 flights/3 planes (the second flight had a mechanical as we were taxiing). All A320.

Plane 1 - Ex-TED with standard leather seats. Worked OK on iPad Mini. The app crashed every 10-15 minutes, and I would have to reselect the movie and fast forward - did not resume to previous. Tried different movies and got consistent results.

Plane 2 - Blue slimline seats. Worked fine for the 10 minutes I was using it.

Plane 3 - Grey slimline seats. Worked perfectly on my laptop, but wi-fi was not working.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 1KSEA
I have the United app on my ipad, but there is also an app available now called "United Player" Live TV
Description - The United Player App is designed to play encrypted movies and TV shows provided on select United 737 aircraft. Download the United app to play encrypted movies and TV shows on other select United aircraft"
There are no reviews / ratings. Its free. Is this what I need?
The current United app I have is the same one as on my iphone - no differences that I can see, also nothing on there about playing video etc, also no updates available
Do I need to download the "United Player" app?
Thanks
As it states in the quote the United Player app is for select 737 aircraft...

Regular United App = Airbus A319/A320, 747 and Hawaii 777, 757-300 w/o Direct TV
United Player App (& regular United app) = new 737-900ER w/o Direct TV (not sure if any of these are activated yet though)

http://www.ink-live.com/emagazines/h...ober-2014/#112

To access the the streaming entertainment on the United app you either click through on the unitedwifi.com webpage (which automatically takes you to the correct area on the app) or you can get to it directly from the app itself. Click the three lines on upper left corner scroll until you see "Wi-Fi & entertainment"

I've used it quite a few times on A319/320s and it generally works pretty good! One of the really nice features I noticed was that when you switch aircraft during a connection it will resume where you left off on the previous aircraft! Really looking forward to it on the new 739s and if UA put this on CRJ7s, E170/175 it would be even better!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.