Wiki Posts
Search

tips on RPU use with stop-over

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
tips on RPU use with stop-over

Can one apply a single RPU to upgrade an entire YVR-LAX-HNL itinerary when I have a 14 hour stopover (overnight) between flights at LAX?

Back in the dedicated 1K phone line days, I once had an agent who applied a single RPU to get me from HNL-SFO-JFK with an overnight stop in SFO, but that might have been < 12 hours stopping time.

The web upgrade option appears to require two RPUs to upgrate my whole itinerary, so this would probably have to be done over the phone.

Anyone have recent experience in applying RPUs to connecting itineraries with stop overs?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Apply the hnl portion online and call in to extend. If no...at least the longer portion is covered and you'll probably cpu the first.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The rules seem unambiguous on this point, you're blowing the limit by 10 hours:

Stopovers require multiple upgrade products. A stopover for a single, one-way trip within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada is defined as longer than 4 hours in the connecting city.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Thanks all around for the feedback, and the reminder about the specific rules on RPU use.

This confirms that I'll apply the RPU to the HNL leg, and see whether CPU gets me anywhere on the earlier leg.

Now that I think back to the previous RPU that was used to bridge a 12 hour stopover, the itinerary was much more complicated and included both legs before and after the overnight connection in SFO. But this time I booked a 'clean' one-way itinerary to minimise IRROPS disruptions to downstream travels, so there's no doubt that an RPU could not bridge the stop.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I have had luck applying a GPU on a forced overnight stopover where the domestic leg was the last flight into the international gateway city and the international flight departed early the next morning, which would not allow a same day connection.

I don't know if the same principle applies to RPUs if there was no way to make a connection on the same day due to the flight schedule.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Time traveller
I have had luck applying a GPU on a forced overnight stopover where the domestic leg was the last flight into the international gateway city and the international flight departed early the next morning, which would not allow a same day connection.
GPUs allow 12-hour layovers when applied to intercontinental itineraries.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
GPUs allow 12-hour layovers when applied to intercontinental itineraries.
24h per UA T&C, same as RPUs.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Three different terms are causing problems:
1. Layover - No such thing
2. Connection
3. Stopover

If #2, this should not be a problem. Length of connection may be dictated by last flight - first flight.
If #3- this should be a problen. But, a call to an agent who wants to be helpful might make it work.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm in the same boat. As Often1 says, it's a connection. I applied a GPU from AMS to West Coast, then called to get GPU extended over to Hawaii next morning. IAD to SFO flight gets in too late to make comfortable connection to OGG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.