Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Canceling/refunding return portion on award RT ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Flew part of an award RT trip, but need to cancel the return, can I get a refund of the unused miles?
No
You can also book a One-Way Award if you wish to travel one way. If you redeem a roundtrip award and only travel one-way, the unused portion of the award will be forfeited.
You may still be able to use the miles by "changing" the return portion
-- Any changes must be consistent with award rules for the original purchase
-- Must be flown within 1 year of the original purchase
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The smarter thing to do here is for OP to sit down and figure out what he wants and then to price the new itinerary that he does want. I've had much better luck with CSR's when they don't have to play 20 questions.
What do you mean and how is that related to the question?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jrey
What do you mean and how is that related to the question?
The OP may be able to get some of the miles back. If the current itinerary is LAX-NRT-BKK, BKK-LAX, with NRT a stopover on the way to BKK, faring a LAX-NRT one-way plus an inter-Asia one-way NRT-BKK will come to less miles than an LAX-BKK roundtrip.

Of course, there's no gain if it's a domestic itinerary.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:23 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You are quite correct you will not get half the miles back.
You can potentially delay the unused portion until a later date and use it then.
I think the best is to cancel the inbound but tell them you will be using the miles later when you are ready to book the segment and then you can even fly to a new destination
You can include a stopover or an open jaw

e,g,, IAD-FRA-SIN-FRA-stop-IAD
can become
IAD-FRA-SIN-FRA
STOP for 10 months (depends on ticketing date)
then, FRA-ORD
OR OPEN JAW (FRA-LHR)
then fly LHR-IAD-SFO etc etc
Old Oct 27, 2013, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
I think the best is to cancel the inbound but tell them you will be using the miles later when you are ready to book the segment and then you can even fly to a new destination
You can include a stopover or an open jaw

e,g,, IAD-FRA-SIN-FRA-stop-IAD
can become
IAD-FRA-SIN-FRA
STOP for 10 months (depends on ticketing date)
then, FRA-ORD
OR OPEN JAW (FRA-LHR)
then fly LHR-IAD-SFO etc etc
How about IAD-FRA-stop-SIN-FRA-IAD and then IAD-FRA-stop-SIN-NAN-SIN? Is something like this possible?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jrey
How about IAD-FRA-stop-SIN-FRA-IAD and then IAD-FRA-stop-SIN-NAN-SIN? Is something like this possible?
Assuming the break at IAD between the two itins is a stop, then no --- not a valid RT itin, has three stops. There potential other issues but the 3 -stops is a clear deal breaker.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:52 pm

Thumbs down What a hassle!!!

We had an illness coming back from Hong Kong and missed our inbound flight. I ended up having to purchase new tickets, so I had 4 unused award legs. I called and they told me instead of redepositing, I could use them for up to a year. In December I spent hours on the phone attempting to get them to give me four new one ways to a different destination. It was supposed to be done, and I was even charged the fees. When hubby and the kids arrived at the airport at 04:25, they were told the tickets weren't valid. They worked on it over an hour, and they ended up missing their flight. I am out of the country so can't even call the 1-800 to attempt to fix it. I ended up having to buy one way tickets for them at the last minute so that they can make it to where I am in time for my surgery.

Last edited by LaIslaBonita; Dec 31, 2013 at 7:53 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
I have a domestic return leg tomorrow that I can't take anymore. If I'm reading this thread right, I can't get half my miles back but I can use the return leg for up to one year? Do I have to call in advance of the flight, or can I just be a no-show?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dordal
I have a domestic return leg tomorrow that I can't take anymore. If I'm reading this thread right, I can't get half my miles back but I can use the return leg for up to one year? ....
correct - one year from original ticketing date (not travel dates)

.... Do I have to call in advance of the flight, or can I just be a no-show?
While being a no-show should be OK, I would call
1) rather have a clean cancellation on the record versus depending on UA to get it right
2) Simple common courtesy, IMO, to let UA know once you know for sure, it might allow them to accommodate someone a bit earlier and not have the person sweat it out until the last minute.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I have a domestic return leg tomorrow that I can't take anymore. If I'm reading this thread right, I can't get half my miles back but I can use the return leg for up to one year? Do I have to call in advance of the flight, or can I just be a no-show?
There may be fees, depending on your status.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by greenpau
If you have a roundtrip award ticket, take the outbound, and then cancel the return flight, the award travel T&Cs state that you forfeit the complete mileage. Tread carefully here - this has stung people in the past. Agree that your best course of action is to try and change the ticket to the future date.
Is this true? Where is it? (ETA: nevermind, found it--noted below)

I canceled a ticket MEX-ANC without realizing it was the return leg of a round-trip (actually, open-jaw AUS-MEX-ANC) ticket. I had tried to change dates for MEX-ANC online with no dice, so I booked my new ticket and then canceled the old one. No refund of miles/taxes yet, and it's not showing up on the UA refunds status page. Phone agent when I called to cancel assured me it was submitted for refund.

If I am not going to get a refund, I wonder if I can get UA to reinstate the ticket and book my new flights on it (they are still bookable with X space, and my guess is that the ticket still exists even if the flights have been canceled off of the PNR since it hasn't been refunded).

Ugh, crap...I've never read this before, it's not clear during the cancellation/refund process, and I hope I didn't just throw away 17.5K miles.

ETA: I found a link in another thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...n-segment.html), and boy, is it buried--the page cblaisd links to in post #2 touts all the stuff up at the top about how awards are priced as one-ways and you can book one direction as a saver and the return as a standard and it's all beautiful and wonderful! You have to expand the T&C and read them very carefully to see the part about forfeiting the return if you cancel it after you've flown the outbound.

So, my two hopes are 1) UA can resurrect the ticket and book my new flights on it (which would be AUS-IAH-MEX//OAX-IAH-SEA-ANC, optionally eliminating the 51 minute "stop" in SEA) or 2) 1KVoice takes pity on me (I emailed them this morning asking about the status) and makes a "one-time exception" and gets half of my award redeposited.

Edited again to add: SaudiAirlines.com shows the status of the two coupons (MEX-ORD and ORD-ANC) as "Refund." Don't know if that's a good thing (refund will be processed) or a bad thing (no actual refund but now the coupons cannot be exchanged and it's lost forever. If they won't refund me, though, then I will make some calls about getting those two flight coupons reinstated--it's not fair to deny me a refund but then also deny me what I paid for!

Last edited by jackal; Mar 15, 2014 at 2:30 pm
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by indiansfan07
This sounds right - but I'm actually hoping it's not. I want to fly LX C out to ZRH, then continuing to BER. Stop-over in BER, then continue to MUC (destination). Once I'm there, and once LH and LX begin releasing C or F availability on their good flights, book that back to NYC. It sounds like this can't happen if I've already started my r/t. And yes, I want a r/t so I can build in a stopover in BER - but of course I may sacrifice that flexibility if it means I can re-book a one-way ticket ZRH - EWR/JFK in LX C or via FRA in LH F.
I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that stopover in Berlin would be possible in any case. If you're starting in Cleveland, a stopover in Zurich (or Geneva) would be possible on a RT, but I doubt that USA-ZRH-BER-MUC is an acceptable routing for LX.

Originally Posted by joel67
Are you sure this is supposed to work? I've gotten an error whenever I've tried to change an award ticket online, but don't know if this is a current bug or a longtime CO limitation.
For travel in July 2013 I changed an award ticket online with no difficulties. I had booked SZG-VIE-MUC-IAD (OS/LH/LH), but changed to SZG-VIE-IAD (OS) when award seats became available on the VIE-IAD nonstop. At the time, UA did not charge a fee for this kind of change, and I even received a small refund for eliminating the connection in Munich.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 16, 2014 at 3:29 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JPG3392
I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that stopover in Berlin would be possible in any case. If you're starting in Cleveland, a stopover in Zurich (or Geneva) would be possible on a RT, but I doubt that USA-ZRH-BER-MUC is an acceptable routing for LX.
There's nothing wrong with that routing. It would have to be LH for the TXL-MUC leg though. Makes zero sense to connect through ZRH on LX.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, HH Gold, and SPG Gold
refund a partially used UA award ticket?

I booked a RT award ticket between A and B with a stopover in C.

A-B//B-C//C-A

I have flown the A-B part last year, but I can't use the return trip with the stopover. I called United reservation trying to cancel the unused part, but was told that once the award travel begins, even I used exactly half of the trip, there is no way to get a refund and all I can do is to reschedule until one year after the issue date.

Is this information correct? I remember they used to reprice the used part and refund the difference?

Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by howto
I booked a RT award ticket between A and B with a stopover in C.

A-B//B-C//C-A

I have flown the A-B part last year, but I can't use the return trip with the stopover. I called United reservation trying to cancel the unused part, but was told that once the award travel begins, even I used exactly half of the trip, there is no way to get a refund and all I can do is to reschedule until one year after the issue date.

Is this information correct? ...
yes

Originally Posted by howto
.... I remember they used to reprice the used part and refund the difference? ....
not in recent memory (many years)

United air travel award rules
You can also book a One-Way Award if you wish to travel one way. If you redeem a roundtrip award and only travel one-way, the unused portion of the award will be forfeited.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: Bear Backers

My sister can not use the return on an award ticket I booked for her. Is it worth canceling or should I just forget about it would I get airport taxes refunded? Not willing to pay to get 12500 miles back

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.