Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Canceling/refunding return portion on award RT ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Flew part of an award RT trip, but need to cancel the return, can I get a refund of the unused miles?
No
You can also book a One-Way Award if you wish to travel one way. If you redeem a roundtrip award and only travel one-way, the unused portion of the award will be forfeited.
You may still be able to use the miles by "changing" the return portion
-- Any changes must be consistent with award rules for the original purchase
-- Must be flown within 1 year of the original purchase
Print Wikipost

Canceling/refunding return portion on award RT ticket

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Change RT to one-way, award miles.

Used my 1K miles to fly Uncle Roundtrip from Asia to USA on United.

After arriving due to multiple reasons he will be staying in the USA (was in Asia for 4 years) permanently

Called United (twice) to cancel return flight and receive ½ miles back and they said "after take-off flight cannot be changed to a One Way".

Is this accurate or not?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 6:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...vel/types.aspx

You can also book a One-Way Award if you wish to travel one way. If you redeem a roundtrip award and only travel one-way, the unused portion of the award will be forfeited.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Thanks
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
You should be able to change the return date to up to a year from date of issuance but that won't help you if he's staying longer than that.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
I know this type of situation is a rarity, but in this regard, wouldn't it be aways safer to book two one way awards? It's not like there's a discount in miles for booking round trip or anything...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Landice
I know this type of situation is a rarity, but in this regard, wouldn't it be aways safer to book two one way awards? It's not like there's a discount in miles for booking round trip or anything...
You can have a stopover in a round trip award.@:-)

You will be charged two fees, when applicable, with two one ways.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KevinInRI
You should be able to change the return date to up to a year from date of issuance but that won't help you if he's staying longer than that.
Or if the passenger flew to the EC , you can change the return to include a stop on the WC say LA, and then after getting to LA CX the rest of the tkt and purchase or cash in for a 1 way back from LA to the EC.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by Landice
Yeah, sometimes.
But perhaps you are paying a close-in redemption fee...
Or have to redeposit both one-ways..
It can double the potential outlay.

I try to answer this dilemma with almost any award redemption.
Well... except DL...
... and I never have a clear answer... except...it depends... @:-)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
R/T Award change to O/W after departure...WITH stopover??

I have a pretty complicated one here...

I want to book a r/t C award on UA/AC using UA miles, with a stopover on the outbound: LAX-YUL (stop for 4 days) YUL-SCL; SCL-LAX a week later. I know that's allowed.

However, there is the possibility that I'd need to go to Europe for work directly from SCL. I won't know this until after departure.

Could I cancel the return flight at that point (once I'm in SCL) and get half the miles back? I know that normally that's allowed, HOWEVER, since I had a stopover on the outbound, would they allow this? (Stopovers on 1 way mileage tickets are NOT allowed).

Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Actually, normally it is not permitted to cancel the return half of an award trip and get half the miles back.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...vel/types.aspx
And since you have a stopover involved they almost certainly won't give you the refund.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Award Ticket Refund of Return Segment

Apologies if this has been answered, I couldn't find this information.

I'm making a mileage run internationally, ORD-FRA-IAD, on a LH ticket. I'm going to use UA miles for the domestic DEN-ORD and IAD-DEN legs.

If I end up misconnecting from LH to UA at IAD on the return (I'll purchase a cheap SW ticket for a flight the next morning as insurance), would I rather have the IAD-DEN award ticket be on a separate ticket from the DEN-ORD leg in terms of getting the 12,500 miles back?

Thanks
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NgatesSEA
..., would I rather have the IAD-DEN award ticket be on a separate ticket from the DEN-ORD leg in terms of getting the 12,500 miles back? ...
yes
from United air travel award rules
If you redeem a roundtrip award and only travel one-way, the unused portion of the award will be forfeited.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Since UA offers one-way awards at half the round-trip price, can you redeem a round-trip as two one-way awards on the same PNR, as long as you don't take advantage of round-trip-only features such as a stopover? If so, does this happen automatically?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 12:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Steve M
Since UA offers one-way awards at half the round-trip price, can you redeem a round-trip as two one-way awards on the same PNR, as long as you don't take advantage of round-trip-only features such as a stopover? If so, does this happen automatically?
you can book a RT as two OWs, but not automatic

A downside to two OWs is potential double the cancel / change fees (if not Plat or higher, such as the OP) if you have a change in travel plans.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:22 am

Cancel return on started award RT for 1k

Not sure why I booked RT vs. two OW's but now I have to cancel return on an award ticket (purchased another itinerary from outbound destination for which outbound segment of award was used). First call to 1k desk suggested that I could not separate the pnr's -- in spite of the number of times I have not wanted the auto pnr split -- and could only get a one year grace for the miles. Although this is probably fine, I would prefer to cancel and redeposit miles. Am I doing something wrong besides booking a RT?

Thanks for your help. Could not find a clear answer in search.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.