Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

International to Domestic: Only given a baggage waiver for one bag as a Premier Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International to Domestic: Only given a baggage waiver for one bag as a Premier Gold

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k,AA Plat,HH Diamond

Today I flew CPH-EWR (SAS) and then connected to a United flight from EWR-SAN. In CPH I checked two bags for free as a Star Gold. After clearing customs in EWR I proceeded to recheck my bags onto San Diego. At the Premier Checkin the kiosks stated I would only be allowed to check one bag for free. Four United agents spent about fifteen minutes trying to figure out why the system was only allowing me to check one bag. Finally they came to the conclusion that it was because my itinerary was ticketed by SAS and not United. Ultimately, I had to pay for the second bag although SAS originally allowed me to check two bags for free. Aren't I supposed to still receive three check bags when flying United regardless of which airline ticketed my itinerary? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by SDstudent
Today I flew CPH-EWR (SAS) and then connected to a United flight from EWR-SAN. In CPH I checked two bags for free as a Star Gold. After clearing customs in EWR I proceeded to recheck my bags onto San Diego. At the Premier Checkin the kiosks stated I would only be allowed to check one bag for free. Four United agents spent about fifteen minutes trying to figure out why the system was only allowing me to check one bag. Finally they came to the conclusion that it was because my itinerary was ticketed by SAS and not United. Ultimately, I had to pay for the second bag although SAS originally allowed me to check two bags for free. Aren't I supposed to still receive three check bags when flying United regardless of which airline ticketed my itinerary? Thanks in advance for the help!

If it's on one ticket and the first flight code is SAS code, the whole trip should follow SAS baggage rules.
You should file a DOT complaint.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Checked bag fee stupidity is DOT territory. When you face unbelievable made-up-rule stupidity like this, it's maybe best just to file a DOT complaint, which will let you jump right to a good agent, increase the odds of retraining, and put the issue on the DOT's radar.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt responses. I am definitely going to file a complaint with the DOT then. Would it also be worth trying to file a refund request with United?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The kiosk was correct.

You're allowed 3 bags free as *G. You already checked 2 bags, so the kiosk was allowing you 1 more for free.

What were you doing at the kiosk in the first place? The bags should have been tagged to SAN, and you should have just dumped them at the recheck belt.

If you're changing flights, the agents need to cancel the bag tags and issue new ones.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by channa
The kiosk was correct.

You're allowed 3 bags free as *G. You already checked 2 bags, so the kiosk was allowing you 1 more for free.

What were you doing at the kiosk in the first place? The bags should have been tagged to SAN, and you should have just dumped them at the recheck belt.

If you're changing flights, the agents need to cancel the bag tags and issue new ones.
Your answer truthfully makes no sense at all , the OP stated "I proceeded to recheck my bags onto San Diego" OP was "rechecking" the same bags.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The kiosk was correct.

Wha?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by morelegroom
Your answer truthfully makes no sense at all , the OP stated "I proceeded to recheck my bags onto San Diego" OP was "rechecking" the same bags.
His answer makes perfect sense. His bags were already tagged and they should have just been dropped on the belt.

Try adding a bag as a Star Gold at a midway point and it does the same thing.

Say you are flying LAX-DEN-DCA as a UA*G and you check two bags in LA. if you use the kiosk in DEN to try to check an additional bag, you will be offered one for free and have to pay for additional bags.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

The kiosk was correct.

No...I was rechecking in my two bags with United. When flying into the U.S you have to pick up your bags at customs and then recheck them. And...the SAS agent unfortunately did not tag my bags all the way to SAN...only to EWR.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
something doesn't sound right here. if the bags were checked through to SAN then UA should have simply accepted them as is when re-checking them. If they were short checked to EWR only (why? ) then there shouldn't be an issue either.
As Channa pointed out only if the OP was trying to SDC I could see things requiring manual intervention and the potential for things to screw up. it is pretty clear that the OP was not supposed to pay for the bags; I would file a DOT complaint asap.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:35 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
.the SAS agent unfortunately did not tag my bags all the way to SAN...only to EWR.
This sounds like the root cause of your issue. If they had tagged your luggage to SAN, you wouldn't have needed to use the kiosk to check luggage mid-trip EWR-SAN.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
No...I was rechecking in my two bags with United. When flying into the U.S you have to pick up your bags at customs and then recheck them. And...the SAS agent unfortunately did not tag my bags all the way to SAN...only to EWR.
guess the system didn't see them as checked to EWR only and hence charged for the 4th bag. How much did they charge you?
Either way, the agents should have known better and they violated DOT rules ... I'd report it; they need re-training
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

So that's where the issue started.

I bet that SAS sent the bag tag numbers to UA when they tagged them, but short-checked them to EWR.

Not sure if that was agent error or what. They should have been tagged to SAN.

Since CO's systems saw 2 tag numbers in there, they allowed only 1 additional. The EWR staff should have deleted the 2 SAS tag numbers in there and issued you 2 new UA tag numbers.

I would write in using this as the most likely story, and explain that the four UA agents spent 15 minutes and didn't know how to delete the erroneous partner tag numbers so the system would properly waive the fee, and as a result of this, you were required to pay for a service you were supposed to get for free, and request a refund.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 3, 2014 at 4:44 pm Reason: we were good up to the last paragraph
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
So that's where the issue started.

I bet that SAS sent the bag tag numbers to UA when they tagged them, but short-checked them to EWR.

Not sure if that was agent error or what. They should have been tagged to SAN.

Since CO's systems saw 2 tag numbers in there, they allowed only 1 additional. The EWR staff should have deleted the 2 SAS tag numbers in there and issued you 2 new UA tag numbers.

I would write in using this as the most likely story, and explain that the four UA agents spent 15 minutes and didn't know how to delete the erroneous partner tag numbers so the system would properly waive the fee, and as a result of this, you were required to pay for a service you were supposed to get for free, and request a refund.
Bingo. Sage advice. ^
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
His answer makes perfect sense. His bags were already tagged and they should have just been dropped on the belt.

Try adding a bag as a Star Gold at a midway point and it does the same thing.

Say you are flying LAX-DEN-DCA as a UA*G and you check two bags in LA. if you use the kiosk in DEN to try to check an additional bag, you will be offered one for free and have to pay for additional bags.
Who invented the third bag?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.