Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Stop-and-Go Plans to "Rebalance" Bases Whiplashes Attendants (per DenverPost)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Stop-and-Go Plans to "Rebalance" Bases Whiplashes Attendants (per DenverPost)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Silver 2014), AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I don't think you should per se force people out of it based on age - keep those around with a genuine enthusiasm for the job even after 10+ years in the job.
It was Steve Jobs in his famous Stanford commencement address (check it out on YouTube) who said that it is important to do what you love and for many senior FA's, that have to love this job in order to put up with it. I'm sure that I'm not the only person who looks at them sometimes and wonder, "Why bother?" I get the answer when I am flying with them, and am grateful for it.

Cousin "Bob" has been assistant manager, the #2, at a large supermarket for over 15 years. Ownership just changed for the 4th time so he is getting his 8th boss (THE store manager). "Bob" holds the ship together, he is always asked to stay whenever changes happen upstairs. He's happy but not rich like his brother "Bill" who caved into their parents and became a big time lawyer (partner in a global firm, posted in Paris twice) with two heart attacks, two divorces and just lost his driver's license for his umpteenth DUI.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Several posters have commented on the conversion of third party employees like Skywest to United employees as a positive sign for Denver's future. Is that historically accurate for UA/CO and airlines in general; the greater the number of mainline employees the more likely a station will prosper?
I have seen in other industries the "disentangling" of third party contracts as the first step in making a bold decision like large RIFs or closure more manageable.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by fastair
Yes, UA likes to brag that they are insourcing some express jobs in DEN, but they don't advertise the fact that they are also outsourcing some bag running UA jobs at DEN at the same time.
Wait, pretty sure it's the opposite. Mainline UA employees are supposed to be taking over the UAX transfer bag running portion of work from Skywest, not the other way around. Though they're also supposedly outsourcing the deicing work on mainline planes. But in any case, as far as I understand it, net result is it'll actually be adding more work for the DEN UA rampers. Which will either require added full-time, or adding more employees.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by BearX220
This has been going on at United, on and off, at least since the ESOP around 1994. Shame on those who blame this bit of United's failure on CO management. The toxic labor climate at UA was around long before Smisek and it will be around long after he's ushered out.
ESOP? I couldn't find it in the glossary. ??
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:32 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Originally Posted by freshairborne
I refuse to fly a 737-900 or commute somewhere to fly anywhere to be on reserve after 28 years, so I will probably quit in the next few years. My wife is gainfully employed (as a high-level management-type, but with a different philosophy than UA management) so quitting is an option for me.
I think that's a reasonable option. As my job changes, I have the option of adapting, or quitting. I don't get to decree that management change their decisions to satisfy my needs.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
Employee Stock Ownership Plan. UA unions (except the FAs) bought the company in the 1990s. Caused a lot of hard feelings between the FAs and other workgroups.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
But Google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...Ownership_Plan
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by freshairborne
I will be displaced from the 757 by December. The Airbus flying is also going to be reduced to about half of what it is now. I will bump into the 'Bus, but it is just a matter of time before that comes to an end also. I refuse to fly a 737-900 or commute somewhere to fly anywhere to be on reserve after 28 years, so I will probably quit in the next few years. My wife is gainfully employed (as a high-level management-type, but with a different philosophy than UA management) so quitting is an option for me.
It sounds like you're in your 50s. Me too. The business I trained for and came up in, and where most of my professional equity was stored -- broadcast news -- has been falling apart for years. It's as chaotic as the airline business if not more so. In both businesses, by the time you reach our age, your price point and seniority make you eminently replaceable. (If you wonder why TV news makes so little sense today, it's because they lay off experienced producers making $150-$200k and replace them with younger people making $50k-$75k who can't remember who was president before Clinton).

These are structural, wholesale changes brought about by large market forces. Neither you nor I get to change those forces. We are not entitled to lifetime lucrative employment. By this stage you have to think of yourself as Freshairborne Inc, not an integral part of United Airlines, because you have to strategize on behalf of yourself. You can't fly angry because your business is not what it was in 1977. Things change. Keep moving. I got out of TV news years ago and moved on to other endeavors where my skills mattered. You can fly corporate, work for FAA, etc. -- lots of things. But you cannot freeze time or force your own personal agenda on a large corporation and larger industry. A conflict within airline culture that I still do not understand after all this time is fierce personal independence combined with extreme expectations re: corporate care, benefits, and security guarantees. Nobody gets it both ways anymore. I urge you to use your professional powers to craft yourself a great Act II post-United.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:39 am

It sounds like you're in your 50s. Me too. The business I trained for and came up in, and where most of my professional equity was stored -- broadcast news -- has been falling apart for years. It's as chaotic as the airline business if not more so. In both businesses, by the time you reach our age, your price point and seniority make you eminently replaceable. (If you wonder why TV news makes so little sense today, it's because they lay off experienced producers making $150-$200k and replace them with younger people making $50k-$75k who can't remember who was president before Clinton).

These are structural, wholesale changes brought about by large market forces. Neither you nor I get to change those forces. We are not entitled to lifetime lucrative employment. By this stage you have to think of yourself as Freshairborne Inc, not an integral part of United Airlines, because you have to strategize on behalf of yourself. You can't fly angry because your business is not what it was in 1977. Things change. Keep moving. I got out of TV news years ago and moved on to other endeavors where my skills mattered. You can fly corporate, work for FAA, etc. -- lots of things. But you cannot freeze time or force your own personal agenda on a large corporation and larger industry. A conflict within airline culture that I still do not understand after all this time is fierce personal independence combined with extreme expectations re: corporate care, benefits, and security guarantees. Nobody gets it both ways anymore. I urge you to use your professional powers to craft yourself a great Act II post-United.
Awesome response!
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I wonder if management had any inkling the union stuff would be this bad 4 years in.
As I understand it, the one thing about the merger that truly pisses Jeff Smisek off is that the initial post-merger management team didn't get the labor relations piece right. Going into the merger, their vision was twofold:

1. A combined United workforce under mostly CO labor representation arrangements, with CO-style pay and the generally far more efficient CO work rules (which would have yielded many of the financial improvements that are now being sought through product degradation); and

2. A return to normalcy in management-labor relations, finally ending the imbalance that began from the days of the ESOP.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I sat next to a pmCO FA a couple of months ago or so. She said the reason why the FAs are the only union employees who have yet to sign a unified contract is because the UA and CO FA contracts are so radically different. She went on to say the UA contract has all kinds of work restrictions insisted by the union but they are paid less. The CO contract has much more flexibility of work rules and the FAs are paid more as a result. Lastly, she really didn't understand why the pmUA FAs wouldn't want something resembling the CO contract but apparently they don't. Not my opinion... just relaying what I heard.
The FA is absolutely correct -- the two contracts are about as different as can be because they were formed with vastly different values and concerns, and there's simply no easy bridge between them.

UA is trying various ways to coax enough of the legacy UA oldheads out of the picture so that a new contract can come together more in line with sCO sensibilities, but this article is proof that it ain't easy.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
As I understand it, the one thing about the merger that truly pisses Jeff Smisek off is that the initial post-merger management team didn't get the labor relations piece right.
The post merger management team. As in... Jeff!
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
(Y)ou cannot freeze time or force your own personal agenda on a large corporation and larger industry. A conflict within airline culture that I still do not understand after all this time is fierce personal independence combined with extreme expectations re: corporate care, benefits, and security guarantees. Nobody gets it both ways anymore. I urge you to use your professional powers to craft yourself a great Act II post-United.
QFT. This is an amazing response.

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
The high salary + benefits, plus seniority perks that accumulate keep people in the job who have no interest in doing the job in the best interest of their employer or the customer...

...Understandable on a human level - but management can't roll with that in this industry and be successful.
Yep. Is it crazy to think that the commoditization of the FA role is coming? It's already happened to airport staff...

Last edited by 318i; Aug 4, 2014 at 1:02 pm
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by mduell
Can they commute positive-space instead of moving?

The article mentions someone commuting once, but doesn't expand on the option.
I was interviewed to be an F/A almost 2 years ago in IAH for UA and they discouraged new hires from any commuting to from bases. They said it was "impossible" and would be fired if you didn't make the flight. They didn't care if where you got based the COL would be insane. Thankfully, I don't think they sent anyone to EWR from that class (didn't get the job, thank god.)

It was IAH, so I think it was CO mentality.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Is this the answer - move more employees and traffic to Houston? United's (Continental's) Houston hub is an armpit that I avoid at all costs. Not only are United's (Continental's) employees in Houston rude, but airport employees in airport shops, restaurants, etc. are just plain rude as well. WHY on earth anyone wants to connect in Houston is beyond me. I'd much rather connect in ANY United hub over Houston, even fly out of my way.
They're moving UA crews to Houston, they're moving CO crews out of Houston.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.