Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Delta: Free Entertainment (Including Sat TV) on All 90+ Min Flights; UA to Follow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Free Entertainment (Including Sat TV) on All 90+ Min Flights; UA to Follow?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:50 am
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat

With their plethora of fees, airlines aren't known for giving away services.

But Delta Air Lines (DAL) says it will offer free movies, TV shows, music and video games on all U.S. flights of 90 minutes or more, starting Friday.

Delta said passengers will be provided the entertainment through the screens provided on seatbacks or via their own smart phones or laptops....

http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/29/news...ce=yahoo_quote

Since this is TRULY a customer-friendly move, I highly doubt this is one that UA will race to copy. It would be very nice, but I don't see it coming any time soon. I know the streaming content, if it works, is free, but I doubt UA will give away DirecTV to anyone but F class pax.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Jul 29, 2014 at 7:54 am
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Ya. Not going to happen....
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Since this is TRULY a customer-friendly move, I highly doubt this is one that UA will race to copy. It would be very nice, but I don't see it coming any time soon. I know the streaming, if it works, is free, but I doubt UA will give away DirecTV to anyone but F class pax.
Yeah not a chance
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
UA would have to have it working on their planes to give away.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:30 am

I think it's a bold move by DL, especially considering all of the nickel and diming by the airlines in the past 3-5 years.

I think the only thing this could do is press the issue with UA's streaming content program. This mysterious program is free during the unknown pilot period but I think we all believe UA will put a price to the content at some point. This move by DL may put some pressure on UA.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Delta is touting this as a differentiator in the market, to help them gain customers:

http://news.delta.com/2014-07-28-Cus...-Other-Carrier

QUOTE:
"Through the introduction of Delta Studio our customers have yet another reason to choose Delta and a different travel experience," said Tim Mapes, senior vice president – Marketing. "Delta continues to be driven by customer feedback which has consistently placed the desire to be entertained at the top of the list of ways to improve our customers' time in the air."
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by JBord
Delta is touting this as a differentiator in the market, to help them gain customers:
As a loyal United flyer, it is nearly impossible for me to conceive an airline doing this. It is truly a unique move by Delta and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by fjfv19
As a loyal United flyer, it is nearly impossible for me to conceive an airline doing this. It is truly a unique move by Delta and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Agreed. I saw it on the local news this morning, and thought there must be a catch, so I searched the story online.

I can't think of anything UA has done in the last year (or more) that differentiates itself in a positive way. The best thing I can come up with is adding the Goose Island beer, which is tiny in comparison and not press release worthy like the DL news.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I doubt UA's current arrangement with LiveTV will allow it to give away anything for free (besides to F pax) unless UA is footing the bill entirely... which ain't happening.

It is worth noting, however, that UA is already offering its streaming platform and 100% of the content of its hard-wired AVOD system for free on all flights so equipped.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
I doubt UA's current arrangement with LiveTV will allow it to give away anything for free (besides to F pax) unless UA is footing the bill entirely... which ain't happening.

It is worth noting, however, that UA is already offering its streaming platform and 100% of the content of its hard-wired AVOD system for free on all flights so equipped.
...as long as you have an Apple device. Over half the market won't be able to use this. To me, DL's real differentiation is offering free entertainment on the seat back screens.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:03 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Wow... Kudos to Delta
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
one of the 90 million reasons i'm flying DL these days. i'm very impressed and with every move like this they have me caring less and less about whether they're skypesos or sky-blocks-of-gold. the experience of earning the miles isn't miserable, which is more than can be said of UA.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by EWR764

Does it work? I've been on 4 roundtrips between ORD-HNL or OGG in the last 2 months and it hasnt worked. I also flew SFO-ORD on a 777 Hawaii and that didnt work.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
I wonder if Delta made a deal with their IFE provider to allow this enhancement to customer experience to occur. Maybe with increase in airline tickets the cost is being built into the ticket price. I dont fly delta so am not sure if they have directTV like UA or other.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
While I believe that UA at this moment financially would not/should not foot the bill for providing this, I do believe that they need to begin differentiating themself from the rest in order to retain and increase customer service and satisfaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.