Wiki Posts
Search

United 737-900ER operations at LGA?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by united4
One of the requirements for the DC-10 from UA and AA to MD was that it could fly into and out of LGA. The L1011 also had this requirement from airlines. How I miss the trijets.
As an old TWA frequent flyer one thing I will never forget was the amazing "death rattle" the L1011 made when the engines started.

Virtually each time, a "newbie" passenger would look horrified and ask the f/a's if everything was okay...

That said, I don't recall ever flying a TW L1011 at LGA...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
OT: I've been on an AC 767 from LGA-YYZ within the last 2 years. They will bring one in, unplanned, to add capacity when storms/blizzards etc cause cancellations in days prior. I was a little nervous taking off but it worked.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by steve64
Going off 20 year old info from when I worked AA Load Control (weight-n-balance)...

The runway length at LGA wasn't the primary concern for the widebodies.
It was the "foot print" of the aircraft. I don't remember the details but think the issue was with the amount of weight being supported by the nose gear. It only has 2 wheels, vs the main gear that had 4 wheels each side, thus better weight distribution on the mains. I was told the pavement at LGA couldn't handle too much weight. So in addition to keeping the Load Plan balanced with respect to Center of Gravity, we also had to watch the weight on the nose gear. Sometimes by moving the load aft, but more often with a total weight restriction.

Over the years I recall LGA having traffic reductions and night-time curfews during summer due to "runway work". I often wonder if this work was to strengthen the pavement.
I think it also has to do with the weight of the aircraft ,because part of LGA's runway is built on piers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.