Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any News if Marriott Gold Deal is Happening Again Next Year (2015)? {YES}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any News if Marriott Gold Deal is Happening Again Next Year (2015)? {YES}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dank0014
It works to the advantage of UA IMO.
It worked to Marriott's advantage in my case. Marriott got 35 nights out of me this year, instead of zero, thanks to this program and the Marriott Gold status it conferred on me.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
It worked to Marriott's advantage in my case. Marriott got 35 nights out of me this year, instead of zero, thanks to this program and the Marriott Gold status it conferred on me.
Yes to the dismay though of those guests that have earned it by spending over 100+ nights there annually and having to be crowded in the lounges. So now, I'll probably shift all my business to a different hotel brand next year.

Granted, do understand that a descent size population of elites though flying UA probably stay at Marriott anyways.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Agree, 32 nights so far, 8 nights coming. Before this partnership all my business went to SPG/Hilton.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I'm sure I'm not the only one, but despite the Gold status via UA, I have yet to stay at any Marriott property this year. Not for any reason, just busy with my normal hotels that I'm used to.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:42 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I have steered some extra business to Marriott, but not much. The problem is the times I need a non-Hilton hotel, there are rarely Marriotts to choose from. In those cases, I'm usually stuck with IHG or BW properties.

It's a nice perk, anyway. I doubt Marriott has made much on me, but then again, I've not utilized much of their benefits, either, so it's not like I cost them anything.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Yes to the dismay though of those guests that have earned it by spending over 100+ nights there annually and having to be crowded in the lounges. So now, I'll probably shift all my business to a different hotel brand next year.
Guessing there are far, far more "real" Marriott elites at 50-74 nights annually than there are over 100
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

Granted, do understand that a descent size population of elites though flying UA probably stay at Marriott anyways.
I thought the lounges were crowded long before this, especially at breakfast which is when I usually use them.

The partnership had a little different effect on me. I bet on them renewing for 2015 and tried out Hilton a little more than usual this year, even choosing Hilton over a perfectly fine Marriott several times. Assuming they renew, I figured it was a safe test run...although I may still hit 50 nights at Marriott anyway, but I didn't know that in January. In the end, Mariott lost about 8-10 nights from me.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Funny, that's a problem at Hilton and Hyatt, too, except neither of those chains has a reciprocal status arrangement with an airline.

Could it be that Marriott lounges are overcrowded because, gasp, the hotels are generally at or near capacity these days?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K & MM
I'm one of those who bounces around from Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, Starwood, Kimpton and Carlton (when I'm in Bismarck). While I'm on the road a lot, I rarely get a bump in status because I'm mindful of my budget and will shop prices. Therefore, I've been very appreciative of the Marriott Gold Status. To whomever is monitoring this - please keep it up.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
I haven't noticed any increase in people in the lounges after the United deal
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Funny, that's a problem at Hilton and Hyatt, too, except neither of those chains has a reciprocal status arrangement with an airline.

Could it be that Marriott lounges are overcrowded because, gasp, the hotels are generally at or near capacity these days?
That's because both Hilton and Hyatt are flooded with "fake Diamonds" and "fake Golds."

I think that a big part of the "problem" is that some people without status actually (gasp) pay for an Executive Level room. I know I sometimes do, as do my parents (HH Diamond) when they are staying at properties other than Hiltons. In fact, my unscientific belief is that there are more people in the lounge who paid for Executive Level Rooms than "fake" elites.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:33 pm
RNE

Who cares about those pathetic lounges. I'm still waiting for my first room upgrade! What gives, Marriott!? Throw me a bone already!

RNE, wallowing in unrequinted gold.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
I have given Marriott $6K in business i normally would have given to Hilton
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: 1K
I haven't noticed that the lounges are any more crowded than before. I usually grab food/coffee right when it opens and take it back to my room to enjoy by myself. I'm 100% Marriott, and have been a "real" Platinum since 2008. Lifetime Platinum very soon.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:29 pm

A domestic lounge is not a lounge in say Dubai, is it? Recently had lounge access at Marble Arch, beer and wine only. :-( A few years before at Grosvenor Square full bar and heavy hors d'oeuvres. County Hall once closed the lounge for happy hour and gave you tickets for downstairs. Still have the best gym though. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.