Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SLC Call Center To Close

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
If you're working 8 hours/day plus a 30-40 minute commute each way then spending the same total time working - 9.5ish hours - actually pays more, even with the 15% cut. And you don't spend any extra time doing it.
What about the people that live next door to the office and walk there in a few minutes? They are still forced to work 15% more for the same amount of money. If UA is saving money by not having an office, they should give the employees a raise for using their own electricity, heat, air conditioning, etc not a cut.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
What about the people that live next door to the office and walk there in a few minutes?
Those would not do as well with the change. Though I'm betting there aren't too many under those circumstances. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of residential development right there.

I didn't say it was a positive for everyone. I simply noted that there are scenarios by which it can be, depending on the circumstances.

And given that at least some of the SLC-based agents were already working from home (and have been for many years) this actually isn't all that big a change for customers.

But here on FlyerTalk instead of focusing on what is actually happening we get many posts bemoaning the loss of all those agents (not happening), claims of a 33% pay cut (not happening) and other crap which makes no sense at all.

Last edited by sbm12; Jul 15, 2014 at 11:53 am
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
But here on FlyerTalk instead of focusing on what is actually happening we get many posts bemoaning the loss of all those agents (not happening), claims of a 33% pay cut (not happening) and other crap which makes no sense at all.
And don't forget that we also see that an $8,000 annual pay cut is a good thing.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by channa
And don't forget that we also see that an $8,000 annual pay cut is a good thing.
Has there been any corroboration of how many people will be seeing a cut of that magnitude?

Last edited by sbm12; Jul 15, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Has there been any corroboration of how many people will be seeing a but of that magnitude?
What magnitude of a pay cut is acceptable?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA G
The magnitude that lets someone spend more time with their kids/SO/pets, lets them spend less time commuting, less money on a car, fuel, maintenance, etc.

Some will win, some will lose. Something something mountain mole hill.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:36 pm

To me as a customer, to the employee (and their Union representation) or to the company?

I took a 30%+ pay cut a few years ago on purpose. One of the smartest things I ever did.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I took a 30%+ pay cut a few years ago on purpose. One of the smartest things I ever did.
Maybe UA should offer that, then, and sell the employees on the benefits that come from even bigger salary cuts. In fact, the flight attendants and mechanics and pilots should also be included in the salary cut campaign so they can reap the benefits, too. Why stop at just call center employees? Let them all be enhanced.

Originally Posted by unavaca
Some will win, some will lose. Something something mountain mole hill.
So should UA determine compensation based on how far you live from work? Those employees that live further away can afford bigger pay cuts, while those that live closer to work will have smaller pay cuts? A pay cut is a pay cut no matter where you live or commute from. Every employee loses.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Every employee loses.
Except the amount of time they spend unpaid getting to and from work, right? Because they gain that back.

It is not a black-and-white loss for everyone across the board.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:17 pm

Maybe UA should offer that, then, and sell the employees on the benefits that come from even bigger salary cuts. In fact, the flight attendants and mechanics and pilots should also be included in the salary cut campaign so they can reap the benefits, too. Why stop at just call center employees? Let them all be enhanced.

So should UA determine compensation based on how far you live from work? Those employees that live further away can afford bigger pay cuts, while those that live closer to work will have smaller pay cuts? A pay cut is a pay cut no matter where you live or commute from. Every employee loses.
United should determine compensation based on the market. If the going pay rate for this skill set and level of experience has declined, why would any employer pay more?

I believe call center employees are represented by the IAM, so any change to the terms of employment would have been negotiated with the union.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:23 pm

Except the amount of time they spend unpaid getting to and from work, right? Because they gain that back.
Certainly an employee that lives farther away from work will gain more personal time back than one who lives across the street from work. That's the employee's decision on where to live - maybe there's better schools or lower home prices an hour out, while others will be quite happy to live in the same neighborhood as the call center.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
United should determine compensation based on the market. If the going pay rate for this skill set and level of experience has declined, why would any employer pay more?
It's about how you value your employees. Cutting their salaries does not send a strong signal that they're a valuable part of the organization. I'd be worried about UA outsourcing those jobs to the lowest bidder if it's strictly based on what the market will bear (they've already done that at a bunch of ground stations). More of that "shrinking to profitability" at work.

I believe call center employees are represented by the IAM, so any change to the terms of employment would have been negotiated with the union.
Did UA have the union in the corner here, though? We close down the center and you lose all the jobs, or you take pay cuts and can work at home? Would be great to have a UA SLC call center employee contribute to this thread as to what was exactly on the table there before pay cuts and working remotely came into play.

Last edited by tom911; Jul 15, 2014 at 2:24 pm
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:15 pm

It's about how you value your employees. Cutting their salaries does not send a strong signal that they're a valuable part of the organization. I'd be worried about UA outsourcing those jobs to the lowest bidder if it's strictly based on what the market will bear (they've already done that at a bunch of ground stations). More of that "shrinking to profitability" at work.
I understand what you're saying, but I'm struggling how a company would justify spending more on salaries or office infrastructure than economically or competitively viable in order to make someone feel better.

Did UA have the union in the corner here, though? We close down the center and you lose all the jobs, or you take pay cuts and can work at home? Would be great to have a UA SLC call center employee contribute to this thread as to what was exactly on the table there before pay cuts and working remotely came into play.
That would be good insight. In my experience, the IAM is a very, very tough negotiator.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:39 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
That would be good insight. In my experience, the IAM is a very, very tough negotiator.
Was.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:15 pm

Just attempting to make lemonade out of lemons. The remote pay scale has always been lower than working in the office. The rationale behind the lower wage has changed over time. In the beginning it was to recoup the set up costs of the remote program, I'm not sure what those costs were. Then it changed to, "we have a waiting list to go remote, so seems that everything will stay status quo."

Once the union got involved, they negotiated a 5% remote increase for remotes. We have been given choices about our future, you can move to another office...Houston or Chicago, you can work remote, you can take a furlough with a severance package, or you can retire if you have the years and age. The only option that works for me is remote. I'm happy to have this opportunity, I am not in a position to move. I have aging parents and two children at the university. As far as extra hours being available, there's never a shortage of hours to pick up from other agents. Picking up from home for an hour or two is a lot easier when you just walk into your office, instead of getting up, dressed and drive into the office.

I am not going to post my income here for in a public forum. Since I am a Rates agent, believe me when I say that I have been running the numbers. Many people take pay cuts for a variety of reasons. Layoffs, career transitions, a job with better benefits.

My grandma had a saying, "Some days you are the dog, and others you are the hydrant" My fervent wish is the the new UA can somehow dig out from this massive hole its in. Just when I think it might be turning, it turns out that we have digging deeper. I know that several of you have an idea what might turn this around, and I have a few of my own. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

On my years working on web support, I have spoken to a lot of you. I remember when I stumbled across this site almost 9 years ago. It has been an invaluable tool for me not only for the mileage programs but to check the pulse of then CO. I continue learning everyday, and wish to thank you all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.