Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-YYJ cancellations?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

SFO-YYJ cancellations?

Hi all,

I just noticed that UA6494 has been cancelled 4 days in a row, including today (even though it isn't scheduled for several hours). Any idea why this is or if it is likely to fly again soon?

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
Regional jets + runway construction + fog, marine layer most likely
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
I'd try and change to the early flight or any flight on a mainline if you can
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
What mainline?

Just get rebooked on AS or AC and get going.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jasonp622
I'd try and change to the early flight or any flight on a mainline if you can
Originally Posted by channa
What mainline?

Just get rebooked on AS or AC and get going.
Flew SFO-YYJ morning flight on 4th without problems.

YYJ-YVR on AC and YVR-SFO on the way back - only way to do mainline without a big detour. Nice to clear CBP in Canada and enjoy MLL.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Flew SFO-YYJ morning flight on 4th without problems.

YYJ-YVR on AC and YVR-SFO on the way back - only way to do mainline without a big detour. Nice to clear CBP in Canada and enjoy MLL.
Personally, I don't like ple-clearance on these relatively short flights.

It turns a quick trip into a near epic:

1. YYJ-SFO non-stop is about 2 hours and 20 minutes (less really, but that's the bloc time)

2. YYJ-YVR-SFO is at least 4 hours and up to 6.5 hours. mostly because of time it takes to pre-clear in YVR.

Yes, if I don't pre-clear I still have to go through CBE in SFO, but with Global Entry and no checked bags that will take me no more than 10 minutes.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
How bad is it to fly to SEA or YVR instead and take a ferry?

(I have no clue … lived two years in Redmond and never made it to Canada, oops)
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mherdeg
How bad is it to fly to SEA or YVR instead and take a ferry?

(I have no clue … lived two years in Redmond and never made it to Canada, oops)

Bad.

The ferry from YVR takes a couple hours + time to get to the ferry terminal (45 minutes). Plus the ferry terminal in YYJ is not as close to the city as the airport.

SEA's ferries are less frequent, I believe, and location is still a problem.

That stuff is fun to do if you're on vacation and want to see stuff, but not so fun if you need to be somewhere.

The airline is on the hook to get the OP to/from YYJ. AS flies SEA-YYJ, and AC flies YVR-YYJ -- pretty frequently at that. So long as not everything is full, they should be good to go with an AS or AC reroute.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by channa
Bad.

The ferry from YVR takes a couple hours + time to get to the ferry terminal (45 minutes). Plus the ferry terminal in YYJ is not as close to the city as the airport.

SEA's ferries are less frequent, I believe, and location is still a problem.

That stuff is fun to do if you're on vacation and want to see stuff, but not so fun if you need to be somewhere.

The airline is on the hook to get the OP to/from YYJ. AS flies SEA-YYJ, and AC flies YVR-YYJ -- pretty frequently at that. So long as not everything is full, they should be good to go with an AS or AC reroute.
The Seattle-Victoria ferry takes about 3 hours and only runs two or three times a day (depending on the time of year).

Compare that with a quick 2 hour and 20 minute flight SFO-YYJ and you've spent an entire day transiting.

Except for those who might get seasick, I would actually prefer the ferry to pre-clearing at YVR since it's not necessarily a huge difference in travel time, and at least the ferry is closer to nature.

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Jul 10, 2014 at 4:02 pm
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all.

My response seems to have gone missing, but today's cancellation (at least) seems strange. Looking at random webcams the weather at SFO looks really good - almost completely clear in the bay. This flight was cancelled several hours before takeoff. I can see cancelling last minute (or even a few hours later after sitting on the tarmac) but this particular scenario doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Due to cost of flying to Victoria I've taken ALL ferries to Victoria, including Coho from Port Angeles (the hardest one to get to unless you drive).

Victoria Clipper is OK, though makes the trip much longer, especially if you connect SEA to Pier 69 (IIRC) via light rail.

And service is seasonal, with only morning sailings to Victoria and evening sailings to Seattle much of the year.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Thanks all.

My response seems to have gone missing, but today's cancellation (at least) seems strange. Looking at random webcams the weather at SFO looks really good - almost completely clear in the bay. This flight was cancelled several hours before takeoff. I can see cancelling last minute (or even a few hours later after sitting on the tarmac) but this particular scenario doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks

Dr. PITUK

Yes, it was even sunny early in the morning today--- for the first time this month. If you are looking for an unreliable flight, you would be hard pressed to find any flights on the west coast in summer more unreliable than United Express flights at SFO.

If you need to get somewhere don't even bother trying to take an afternoon flight on United Express into or out of San Francisco.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.