Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Saddened by (apparently new) very restrictive award rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Its one thing to do a mileage devaluation, and then make it more difficult to earn miles (except for those on much higher-fare tickets), while saying that you will be offering "more opportunities to redeem miles" in 2015....

its another thing, in my opinion, to quietly make a handful of rules that make redeeming awards exceptionally difficult.

I live in a small city, so I always have to fly to a hub in order to fly out anywhere. I was trying to book a round trip award to India with ONE stopover in Europe...but the stopover is also in a small airport. It has been an absolutely awful experience. Even though I have a total of seven flights on the reservation (apparently 8 maximum), only 4 are allowed on each one way...so I have buy an additional ticket to get me back from the hub and I cant fly out of of my home airport (I have to fly out of ORD)....and this is after being on the phone with them and looking for alternative flights for nearly 10 hours.

And of course every agent has a different reason why a particular flight cannot be added to the reservation.

It was never like this before...needless to say I am disappointed. I hope United reconsiders it 4 segment maximum each way rule on a round trip. I understand the one stop-over rule, but as long as it is clear that the award is not being abused, I hope United will re-allow its agents to have some discretion to issue award tickets that make sense.

Are others experiencing the same problems as I am?

Last edited by bmw303; Jul 8, 2014 at 1:48 pm
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Can you post the award routing you are trying to complete. That would be able to help us provide assistance.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Update: In fairness to United, I thought I should post this update. I was able to get my itinerary largely fixed upon subsequent phone calls. It is not the ideal date (but that is not the point) but I am at least flying out of my home airport. Its regional US - Europe (stopover) onward to India then back to US Hub.

The last agent I spoke with completely understood my issue and said "I don't know why this is a problem" and with a few keystrokes put the flight I needed in. So I don't know how much of what I experienced before is due to some policy or simply some technical error or something else...

In any event, I'm a bit happier with United now. ^

Last edited by bmw303; Jul 29, 2014 at 1:40 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm glad to hear you got yur problem sorted. UA does have a new set of rules in place that has not been publicised. In fact, I've found quite a few agents don't understand them as they cite all sorts of different reason why certain things won't ticket.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
This post would be much more useful and informative if the OP could please provide specifics like: origination airport, connecting airports, stopover airports, destination airport, dates, flights, airlines, cabin.

Saying you're "saddened" or "a bit happier" gives us a good idea of your emotional state, but doesn't help the next person to get out of a similar situation when it arises.

Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:21 pm

Agreed ... atleast share airport/flight info.

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
This post would be much more useful and informative if the OP could please provide specifics like: origination airport, connecting airports, stopover airports, destination airport, dates, flights, airlines, cabin.

Saying you're "saddened" or "a bit happier" gives us a good idea of your emotional state, but doesn't help the next person to get out of a similar situation when it arises.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.