Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP 2015 changes. Miles earned on non UA stock flying UA metal as codeshare..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k

Not something I've found an answer to as yet and the wiki thread seems to give an answer and is a little unwieldy now. I have a UK address, so PQD does not apply, and I'll have no problem with 4 segments in qualifying next year. This is more about RDM mileage earning.

Situation:
Looking to fly LHR-LAS next April. I'll still be a 1k. Routing LHR-SFO-LAS and v.v.

Options: Purchasing a T fare from UA (cheapest available) for 699 ($1195 equiv) + 153 taxes which will give me 13145 RDM + 11564 PQM as per announced change.

Or: Purchase an L fare from LH.com for the same flights, operated by UA as a codeshare. (LH flight numbers on UA metal) for 853. From what I have seen so far, this will accrue 11564 RDM and PQM for miles flown.

(based on UA statement that "ticket numbers that dont start with 016) will still earn award miles based on distance flown and the purchased fare class". L=100% RDM on non European internal flights.

The questions I have are: If I purchased the ticket through Lufthansa -

Will 100% Premier bonus miles still be awarded. There is nothing in the Lufthansa section on ua.com to contradict the statement "Premier 1K members earn a 100% mileage bonus, and receive Star Alliance Gold benefits."

Would I still receive any benefits as a UA 1k (in relation to E+ access and luggage allowances) as I'm flying UA metal, albeit on a LH ticket.

Obviously, if paying RDM bonuses to LH customers is abolished, it will be worth buying from UA, even though the RDM will be reduced by 45%. If bonuses are still being offered, it may be worth buying from LH, even if I end up in E-.

Or have I got this totally wrong. I've always purchased from UA in the past so the rules on partner tickets are a little fuzzy.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Codeshare is a non-factor.

Mileage posting is always based on the flight operator regardless of how sold.

So if UA operated, UA rules.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Agreed IF the ticket was issued on UA ticket stock. BUT UA have already said that if the ticket is not on UA stock, miles would be awarded on miles flown, not fare cost.

That contradicts your statement. But to make the issue less complicated, lets say it's a LH flight on LH metal on a 25% earning fare on m&m, but 100% to mp (L or T fare base). I choose to earn the miles to MP.

What would be your interpretation of what happens then in terms of RDM.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP (LT Pt)
UA has said that for partner flights. For UA flights, it doesn't matter who ticketed it or how its marketed. Note that it says "ticket issued by ANY AIRLINE" for operated by United:

Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Red face

Based on the table above *** deleted ****
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

@Shigernafy.

Thanks for that. I hadn't seen that table. That clarifies the issue of the joint UA / LH flight operated by UA.

It still doesn't give a definitive answer the question of whether premier bonus miles will be issued when flying partner flights, eg if I flew LHR-FRA(LH) - SFO (LH) - LAS (UA) but earning to MP on LH ticket stock although I did notice the bottom line reference to pemier bonus miles on the chart. Looks like flying LH via Germany is an option to maintain RDM earning rates, even if it's in the back of the bus.

Mind you, have just found this in the FAQ that the table came from

" Later this year we will have more details about earning award miles on partner flights. "

Last edited by Richym99; Jul 7, 2014 at 2:46 pm
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:22 pm

Look at each segment separately.

If a particular segment is operated by United (and it's not a bulk ticket), irrespective of who issued the ticket, you'll earn based on the pro-rated price of that segment (take total ticket price, divide that into segment parts based on relative segment pricing). That price-based earnings will include a multiplier based on status - that's the entirety of any status/class-based bonuses (i.e. no 2x for 1k, no 1.5+x for premium-cabin).

If a particular segment is operated by a different airline and the ticket isn't issued by United, you'll earn miles under the current system (distance based, status-multiplier, and a potential fare-class multiplier). (This is the "Eligible flights operated by a Star Alliance or MileagePlus partner airline and not ticketed by United will earn award miles based on a percentage of distance flown, the purchased fare class and Premier status where applicable. Later this year we will have more details about earning award miles on partner flights." Of course this is based on the current rules. This can change without any notice after you buy your flight but before you actually fly/earn.)

So in your last example (ticket issued by LH, 1K status), LHR-FRA earning is distance and with a 2x 1K multiplier, whereas SFO-LAS will get 11x pro-rated part of the ticket cost assigned to that segment.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Rule of thumb: if you could earn PQD for it (UA metal any marketing carrier) you will get the new Enhanced low mileage earning for it.

Originally Posted by okrogius
So in your last example (ticket issued by LH, 1K status), LHR-FRA earning is distance and with a 2x 1K multiplier, whereas SFO-LAS will get 11x pro-rated part of the ticket cost assigned to that segment.
Wait, we don't know that for sure, right? Delta has not yet announced how they will handle partner earning like LHR-FRA on LH, and United also coincidentally has not made an announcement. I'm keeping an eye on the AF earnings page (Web search [delta earn air france]) to find out what UA will do.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Member

Hello all
Just wondering if there is any more news on changes to partner airline earning when the changes to earning on UA flights take place? Of most interest to me is Mileage Plus earning on SQ, LH and LX going forward. Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

No news yet. Trust me, when anything is announced (or just changed on the website with no announcement), it will be impossible to miss in the UA forum.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all
Just wondering if there is any more news on changes to partner airline earning when the changes to earning on UA flights take place? Of most interest to me is Mileage Plus earning on SQ, LH and LX going forward. Thanks!
leroy11 - Sadly, no news so far.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:57 pm
Original Member

Thanks Emcampbe and restlessinRNO. I suspected there was no news as didn't think I would have missed it. Hopefully they'll announce it with ample notice - some people purchase tickets many months in advance and mileage accrual is a key part of the buying decision!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.