Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are Expired/Undated UA/CO Beverage Vouchers Still Accepted on Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines complimentary drink tickets (and this includes drink tickets with past expiration dates [which also includes both PMUA and PMCO drink tickets]) are to be accepted by F/A's on United mainline flights.

United Express may or may not have the same policy.

Some have reported having expired drink tickets rejected on United mainline flights, but these appear to be exceptions and the tickets are sometimes accepted by other FAs on the same flight or on future flights.

Some reports of success with Continental Currency -- pmCO FA's seem more familiar with them.

Older thread -- Old drink coupons still good? {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Are Expired/Undated UA/CO Beverage Vouchers Still Accepted on Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
.... Good to know UA is still honoring them.
This has been YMMV for some time. So would not say "UA" is still honoring, but some individual FAs have been. No recourse if you are told no.
SPN Lifer and rmadisonwi like this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DELee
So then how are the FAs going to handle the PayPal payments? Not placing phones face to face?

David
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
There's always a class of FAs that will come up with any excuse to not do what they're employed to do.
This.

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
If I was ever denied by an FA, I would simply and politely ask to “speak with the Purser please”
This too.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
UA sent me a fresh batch that expire in 2023. I'm surprised they bother printing them at all with everyone digital. They might as well just load up our accounts in the app. But all useless anyway since I'm only in F.
drewguy likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
UA sent me a fresh batch that expire in 2023. I'm surprised they bother printing them at all with everyone digital. They might as well just load up our accounts in the app. But all useless anyway since I'm only in F.
You can always gift them to a fellow passenger
cawhite likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
I have some that expired Jan 31st (2022) and I have a trip next week. Will see if they accept them or not.
Also what's the criteria used by United to send these vouchers ? I got them last time when I qualified for UA Plat 2020 but haven't received anything when i requalifed in 2021 (not an extension)
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by arshi007
I have some that expired Jan 31st (2022) and I have a trip next week. Will see if they accept them or not.
Also what's the criteria used by United to send these vouchers ? I got them last time when I qualified for UA Plat 2020 but haven't received anything when i requalifed in 2021 (not an extension)
We don't know now, though see a report of new chits a few posts up.

The last time they distributed (in early 2020, to my knowledge) it was 5 chits for Plat, 10 chits for 1K (and I assume GS). I think those were the numbers for at least several years.

There was a bit of "loophole" that if you newly qualified for Plat or 1K earlier in the year they would send them upon qualification, along with a batch with the full kit in January (at least that was my experience several years ago).
Flying Machine and arshi007 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
Originally Posted by DELee
Some FT exCONs probably would have taken it off your hands as well...

David
I have an old continental drink coupon I'm holding until the last work flight before I retire (assuming I don't / haven't already lost it). I also dream that retirement flight will be a return where instead of flying home, I accidentally get on the flight at the next gate (hopefully somewhere tropical) and just have everyone meet me there.
DELee likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
So like everyone else, not expecting any 1K kit but wondering what to do with my expired Drink Coupons (1/31/22)? I usually give them away but don't want to give them to friends if they won't be accepted. Otherwise, round file!
Old Mar 1, 2022, 1:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by sierranevada
So like everyone else, not expecting any 1K kit but wondering what to do with my expired Drink Coupons (1/31/22)? I usually give them away but don't want to give them to friends if they won't be accepted. Otherwise, round file!
It's a YMMV, but in my personal experience I've been using drink coupons that expired back in 2018, and most of the time they just hand it back to me.

Originally Posted by drewguy
We don't know now, though see a report of new chits a few posts up.

The last time they distributed (in early 2020, to my knowledge) it was 5 chits for Plat, 10 chits for 1K (and I assume GS). I think those were the numbers for at least several years.

There was a bit of "loophole" that if you newly qualified for Plat or 1K earlier in the year they would send them upon qualification, along with a batch with the full kit in January (at least that was my experience several years ago).
The other loophole is if you start as below Plat, and if you qualify for 1K, you get both 5 in the Plat kit, and 10 in the 1K kit.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
The other loophole is if you start as below Plat, and if you qualify for 1K, you get both 5 in the Plat kit, and 10 in the 1K kit.
Yes, I think just before COVID I finished working through the batch I got in just that scenario a number of years back, though I may have hit 1K so late in year I didn't get those 10 (so just 5+10).
Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Has anyone had any success passing drink chits that expired 1/31/22 since they didn't send new ones with the extension?
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I still have a stack of certs with no expiration dates from our 1K days. We flew UA for the first time in a couple of years last week. I proffered two to a friendly young FA who said she wouldn't know what to do with them and then comped the drinks.

I gifted a few to inlaws who flew UA yesterday and they were turned down. "I pointed out no expiration, they took it confusedly, then returned after 10 minutes and returned it, saying they couldn't accept it."

We've learned through bitter experience as Million Mile Flyers and lifetime Silver Wings members that UA can pretty well do what they want. I'm wondering if the 2015 instructions Liz mentioned upthread are still in effect, or simply forgotten.

And of course there's this from 2012.

Last edited by Fredd; Jul 30, 2022 at 10:34 am
Old Aug 14, 2022, 9:01 pm

Flight 8/12 from IAH - two coupons accepted for spouse and me - no blinks from FA who dutifully entered them in her handheld. Exp. 2020 (I think, been trying to use those first).
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
My spouse also used 2020 ones on a flight. One time the FA even said not to worry about it so I still have more in my stash of expired coupons.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
My spouse also used 2020 ones on a flight. One time the FA even said not to worry about it so I still have more in my stash of expired coupons.
That’s good to hear! I have a stack of them as well. Many times they just push back the coupon to you and give the drink to you on the house, I’m glad to hear that they’re accepting them with their handheld even though they’re expired

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.