Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global Services wording disappearing from Group 1 Signs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Services wording disappearing from Group 1 Signs?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott PP/LT Plat, Golden Circle Diamond
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
and how many of them fly or pay enough to be GS and how many of them are comped it.
I fly through EWR often as my connecting flight to Asia. Definitely not comped GS.

Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
Which airport was this? Would love to know. At SFO, ORD, LAX, I have never seen this done. In fact, I recently had one FA at ORD actually move the boarding group 1 sign closer to the podium, thereby taking away the only path from the three GS that had lined up there (BG1 was stuffed). She knew exactly what she had done. She didn't really want to board GS, and almost immediately called BG1.

Mrs. ushpnwdlua and I have given up on boarding when GS is called. There's no way to get to the boarding door without stepping on toes and really being a DYKWIA. No, I don't want God Save the Queen or Pomp and Circumstance playing when I board. I'd just like UA to actually provide one of the "benefits" they claim to offer.
And even when they do pre board GS, there is a 2 second delay and they call GP1.

Ironically I don't care as much about GS pre board on INTL flights but on the UAX flights with tiny bins I take advantage of it.

I've had a gate agent who knew I was GS from checking me in call me by name for the preboard. Standing to the side is the only way to win the battle if pre board is important to you. If UA is going to give the perk, take advantage while you can...

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 7, 2014 at 4:42 am Reason: multi-quote
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:10 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Today on my LAX-ORD flight, the gate agent called four GS' for preboarding. I thanked her for doing that.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
and how many of them fly or pay enough to be GS and how many of them are comped it.
I don't know that GS is "comped" so much as granted based on a range of criteria. The ones that have GS that don't fly the $s are valuable to UA in other ways (likely much more valuable).
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:39 am

Programs: UA -GS 4.5 MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boghopper
I don't know that GS is "comped" so much as granted based on a range of criteria. The ones that have GS that don't fly the $s are valuable to UA in other ways (likely much more valuable).
Yes GS is given away to some people with earning it via the various criteria (spend and miles). As a perk UA gives some large companies a certain number of GS "memberships" for them to distribute to their executives.

Biggest group of GS I ever saw - a Friday London to Newark - I counted 20 as they boarded. Wow.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by feobrien
Biggest group of GS I ever saw - a Friday London to Newark - I counted 20 as they boarded. Wow.
No guarantee they were all GS - any level of status flyer can take lower or no-status friends/family/co-workers with them through boarding.

Some could also be recipients of GS awards/upgrade booking.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
GS members are generally the high revenue passengers spending on fares at a substantial amount. Generally this spending yield is mid/upper 5 figures or more. Anyone who gets "butt-hurt" because this group of people are offered boarding before the important Group 1 or even the ALL IMPORTANT Group 2 MP+ Explorer members should appreciate GS for carrying a Lion's share of revenue burden. Without the spending of this group we could all enjoy Group 1, Group 2, etc. boarding on an airline that is not in business. Just my 2 .
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
GS members are generally the high revenue passengers spending on fares at a substantial amount. Generally this spending yield is mid/upper 5 figures or more. Anyone who gets "butt-hurt" because this group of people are offered boarding before the important Group 1 or even the ALL IMPORTANT Group 2 MP+ Explorer members should appreciate GS for carrying a Lion's share of revenue burden. Without the spending of this group we could all enjoy Group 1, Group 2, etc. boarding on an airline that is not in business. Just my 2 .
We'll, it's not as simple as that. There are a high number of folks who rarely fly that are comped GS as part of their overall large company travel agreement with United. Then you have flyers like myself who book for a smaller group (10-15 people), and spend $100,000+ each year via my login, but don't get it, and get bypassed by folks that don't fly and don't spend.

It's life, and this isn't a whine, it's merely an observation.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I departed EWR for TLV on 6July at gate 138. Arriving into the secure boarding area, the line for Group 1 was already very long. I asked the GA where to stand, and she showed me a spot just to the side of the GA desk. During the GS boarding announcement she opened the barrier and motioned me an two others to proceed.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: GS UA+3MM
Originally Posted by wxguy
I departed EWR for TLV on 6July at gate 138. Arriving into the secure boarding area, the line for Group 1 was already very long. I asked the GA where to stand, and she showed me a spot just to the side of the GA desk. During the GS boarding announcement she opened the barrier and motioned me an two others to proceed.
Went thru gate 138 to TLV and SFO last week. They used the robo-announcement to call for boarding. GS gets a spacial announcement with it and you can really stand anyplace. G1 is a mess most of the time nowadays.

The G1 sign does still gay Global Services in orange, fwiw.

s
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by username
I just noticed a few boarding group signs at EWR that do not have the bright yellow/orange Global Services wording for Group 1. Are those old signs or new signs? Could this be a sign of new boarding procedure coming?
GS is being phased out. It was felt not to be cost-effective.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
We'll, it's not as simple as that. There are a high number of folks who rarely fly that are comped GS as part of their overall large company travel agreement with United. Then you have flyers like myself who book for a smaller group (10-15 people), and spend $100,000+ each year via my login, but don't get it, and get bypassed by folks that don't fly and don't spend.

I am well aware of this policy, being that I was GS 3 out of the first 4 years of the program's existence. While I can appreciate that many of the comp'd GS status due to a company keep in mind that that company spends a lot of money with United Airlines. That in itself is good enough for me ..... always have been.

I definitely agree that people spending $100,000+ annually should be recognized and treated very, very well. I did not spend that amount when I made GS. It was in the middle 5 figures.

That said, there is something broken with Mileage Plus right now. This program is not pmUA Mileage Plus but it is also not pmCO OnePass either.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
GS is being phased out. It was felt not to be cost-effective.
I hope this is not reality. If it is then I would bet UA will end up being in bankruptcy sooner than later. GS is a very valuable segment of business for UA. I suppose if true, this tells all of us where the current management intends to take this airline and that does not bode well for true business flyers, and business revenue. Completely short sighted and business ignorant, IMO.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM

If you have not done so already you may want to explore passplus, if you are committing six figures you may be able to get GS for yourself and a discount for your travelers.

Just a suggest, as your description does seem to match pass plus very well.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
This is so funny to watch. Throw out a sarcastic remark and it is taken as true!

-SFO is the easiest place to qualify for GS. Look how many there are there!
-The majority of GS members are from corporate contracts and those people are less valuable than the all mighty 1k
-GS is being phased out, UA finally realized that second tier 1K should be treated as top tier
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by jgsx
This is so funny to watch. Throw out a sarcastic remark and it is taken as true!

-SFO is the easiest place to qualify for GS. Look how many there are there!
-The majority of GS members are from corporate contracts and those people are less valuable than the all mighty 1k
-GS is being phased out, UA finally realized that second tier 1K should be treated as top tier
Hey!!! Who ya' callin' second tier, buddy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.