Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United employee puts friends on top of upgrade llst

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:20 am
Original Poster

There's 4 of us traveling, on separate bookings.

Yesterday, I am told that two of us have a friend "who works for United" who put in a request for an upgrade for them

Sure enough, I check in and I find both of them not just on the upgrade list, but right there on top of the upgrade list. And ahead of me lowly 1KMM who put in 20K for the upgrade and 27 years of loyalty to United. No status, no upgrade instrument- just "a friend who works for united"

1- how is this possible?
2-How do I resolve this without all manner of hell breaking loose in our party? If I call United the guy may lose his job ( right now I think he should).
3-Why does United let this happen?

I. am. livid and would appreciate input.

I would like to add that I always suspected that shenanigans of the sort where possible. Now I know they happen.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 6, 2014 at 10:27 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

E-mail 1Kvoice and ask for downgrade compensation. Explain that you were denied the upgrade because the GA failed to follow company policy, upgrading a friend instead.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Do you have any evidence other than hearsay (which the OP says is at least third-hand already)? Upgrade status is based on the status of the sponsor, not the traveller, so the "friend who works for United" could be a GS who put in an RPU or mileage request.

Originally Posted by sannmann
E-mail 1Kvoice and ask for downgrade compensation. Explain that you were denied the upgrade because the GA failed to follow company policy, upgrading a friend instead.
Making accusations without evidence could get you real "downgrade compensation", like being banned from ever flying United again.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Dude, it's an upgrade. Chill.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Droneklax
1- how is this possible?
The UA employee in question has access to UA computers. Also, cronyism.

2-How do I resolve this without all manner of hell breaking loose in our party? If I call United the guy may lose his job ( right now I think he should).
Are your traveling companions also friends of yours? If so, I'm pretty sure hell will break loose. Is it against UA policy to allow agents to do this? If so, not sure what UA can do about it without running some kind of background check on every person put on an upgrade list.

3-Why does United let this happen?
UA can't control every employee at every moment.

I. am. livid and would appreciate input.
Haven't you benefited from a friendship before? Given a free drink at a restaurant where a cousin works or anything like that? This seems pretty similar to me.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Do you have any evidence other than hearsay (which the OP says is at least third-hand already)? Upgrade status is based on the status of the sponsor, not the traveller, so the "friend who works for United" could be a GS who put in an RPU or mileage request.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sannmann

Making accusations without evidence could get you real "downgrade compensation", like being banned from ever flying United again.
This is United, not Delta. And, I don't think that the rabbi up in MSP was told he could not fly Delta ever again- just could not have a SkyMiles account.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Can they even do this anymore? I've heard its not even possible.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
+1
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
I would assume senior enough folks at UA have the ability to gift upgrades. I have a friend who is fairly senior at Air Canada and she has the ability to put in for upgrades for anyone she knows and they clear ahead of AC's revenue customers. It's part of a senior staff member's overall compensation package.

I also would assume that sales people have the ability to provide upgrades as a sales tool.

I don't see a problem with it if it is someone at UA that legitimately has the ability to gift upgrades to others. If the people are on the list than I think it's reactively (but not completely) safe to assume they were added via some process and belong at the position they are.

I think as long as the rules are property followed than it's UA's choice as to how they design the program. I think the problems come when staff (usually airport staff) don't follow the rules and don't the process/list.

As to the OP, we all have relationships in our lives that we leverage to our benefit. Perhaps you know someone that can get you a deal on a car or a table at an otherwise packed restaurant. Relationships are how the world works and I'd just let it slide (or leverage your own relationships). As long as it's not out of control (aka 1/2 the upgrade list on every flight) than I'm not sure it's worth getting bent out of shape. UA has better things to do than hunt down every middle manager who is giving away a few free upgrades here and there. I'd much rather they focus on getting their on-time percentage up, fixing their IRROPS recovery, and getting their staff to smile than a witch hunt for this culprit.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Can they even do this anymore? I've heard its not even possible.
Given the upgrade shens I've... seen... in the last year, I'm pretty sure it's possible and even easy.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Droneklax
Yesterday, I am told that two of us have a friend "who works for United" who put in a request for an upgrade for them
I am still trying to read this sentence, doesn't this benefit you that a friend of yours who works for United put in upgrade requests for 2 of you?

Your following statement seems to indicate that these 2 are random people with no status. I thought the list is computer generated by priority? Maybe they are full fare or sponsored by GS or higher and they have higher priority?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by kenn0223
I also would assume that sales people have the ability to provide upgrades as a sales tool.
Sales folks absolutely have this ability. Also, not just to provide, but confirm outside of the normal process.

All airlines do this. I was the recipient of such treatment at AA years ago.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
By "upgrade list," do you mean the upgrade waitlist, or the cleared upgrade list?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by mduell
+1.

In all fairness i've had friends in all airlines put me on the upgrade lists although i dont think i've ever been pushed ahead anyone on purpose. I think only my status puts me ahead of others.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
By "upgrade list," do you mean the upgrade waitlist, or the cleared upgrade list?

Upgrade waitlist.

Originally Posted by mortenfan
I am still trying to read this sentence, doesn't this benefit you that a friend of yours who works for United put in upgrade requests for 2 of you?

Your following statement seems to indicate that these 2 are random people with no status. I thought the list is computer generated by priority? Maybe they are full fare or sponsored by GS or higher and they have higher priority?
Sorry the sentence wasn't clear.

The "United friend" put in a request for an upgrade for these 2 (no status, no upgrade instrument). I requested an upgrade using miles and my position on the upgrade list is controlled by my status, as it should be. I played the game.

Regarding United's ability to upgrade anyone at will, as I am sure some top executives can do that, why wouldn't they just sit them in F?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 6, 2014 at 12:56 pm Reason: multi-quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.