Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IRROPS, United's ongoing fare fraud and why you should complain to the DOT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPS, United's ongoing fare fraud and why you should complain to the DOT

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by mherdeg
I think it's a bit bait-and-switch. I do expect, when I've bought a first class fare, to be taken to my destination in the class of service I paid for. If UA wants to offer fares that are "F on this flight, J if irrops'd" they should advertise them as such at some point in the booking process.

The particularly sneaky thing they do where they show an "A" fare but if you look super closely at the "view fare rules" link and then fill out a CAPTCHA successfully and finally see the first letter of the fare code … I am really surprised that this thing has not gotten them in regulatory trouble yet. It seems more like a technical problem than an intentional business process and I'm assuming it just hasn't been their biggest bug/feature to work on.
It is bait and switch. Most once a year flyers have zero clue about fare buckets and what those codes mean. And the airlines know that. I have no problem with the airlines selling those fares as long as it clear to the non-FF that is what it is. But, it's not clear right now.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by DWFI
Fair enough, reasonable distinction. Not fraud, but egregiously misleading and deceptive.
This.
I find these games UA (and probably other airlines) play with the fare and booking codes so obviously deceptive--just a higher tech version of a sleazy used car lot.
What's also interesting is that if customers were more fully aware of the IRROPS implications of specific tickets, it's inevitable that they would factor in the IRROPS probabilities more stringently into their purchasing decisions. At which point UA, the reigning IRROPS leader, would lose even more business.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by mherdeg

if you then fill out a CAPTCHA successfully and finally see the first letter of the fare code …
Originally Posted by sannmann
entering in the captcha, and then saving the displayed T&C in pdf form.
Please explain the term "captcha".
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
But if United wants to get all legally and hide behind that, where is it written that the first letter of the fare basis is the "real" booking class? How is the passenger supposed to know that? Technically, I don't know it now - I've inferred it from years of travel.
Fare classes in general are a great forest for the airline to hide in. The code letters mean different things on different airlines, and there's no succinct "bumper-sticker" explanation of the distinctions. On some websites you can't even find them until you get to the click-to-buy point.

Deciphering fare classes is like parsing lines of BASIC code, yet if you inadvertently buy a fare with unpleasant restrictions the airlines will shove them in your face (as with mileage-earning rates, exemptions, etc.). It's just another case of heads-UA-wins, tails-you-lose.

The classes and their meanings ought to be simple and prominent as restaurant hygiene ratings in LA. But that would not suit the airlines' interests.

To go back to the original thesis of this thread, it is not explicitly fraud, but it is certainly built to deceive and mislead the unwary, which is most people.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
http://www.captcha.net/

[Unwelcoming text edited by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 5, 2014 at 9:20 am Reason: Per FT Rules.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Lately UA has been offering a lot of discounted first class fares that book in P. Some of them have P fare basis, others have a fare basis like Txxxxx/UPDI which require both T and P availability in order to price at that fare. If you read the fare rules for any of these fares, they are described as being a First Class fare. Nowhere does it mention anything about being "coach with an upgrade to first". Also, these fares automatically come up when searching for first class and lowest available fare.

I encountered an IRROPS situation on a P fare earlier this year and I was automatically rebooked on AC in Y class. The UA gate agent refused to book me in J, and I had to deal with the 1K desk in order to fix that. Don't let these people bully you into taking a downgrade. You have a first/business class ticket regardless if it's a discount P or full fare F or whatever. They aren't "coach with free upgrade".
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
If you google the definition of "civil fraud", I think this fits what United is doing. Definitely dishonest and slimy, in my opinion. Good on the OP for standing up and pushing back for your rights.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyerAl
Lately UA has been offering a lot of discounted first class fares that book in P. Some of them have P fare basis, others have a fare basis like Txxxxx/UPDI which require both T and P availability in order to price at that fare. If you read the fare rules for any of these fares, they are described as being a First Class fare. Nowhere does it mention anything about being "coach with an upgrade to first". Also, these fares automatically come up when searching for first class and lowest available fare.

I encountered an IRROPS situation on a P fare earlier this year and I was automatically rebooked on AC in Y class. The UA gate agent refused to book me in J, and I had to deal with the 1K desk in order to fix that. Don't let these people bully you into taking a downgrade. You have a first/business class ticket regardless if it's a discount P or full fare F or whatever. They aren't "coach with free upgrade".
What's worse, even if there is no IRROPS and I have a P fare that is actually an UP fare I have not gotten the fare class PQM bonus. There's a thread on FT on this issue.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ksingh0311
What's worse, even if there is no IRROPS and I have a P fare that is actually an UP fare I have not gotten the fare class PQM bonus. There's a thread on FT on this issue.
That is per the MP terms and conditions.

But this entire practice of selling business/first fares that are not stinks.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
From the Contract of Carriage:

2) Delay, Misconnection or Cancellation
a) When a Passenger’s ticket is affected because of a Schedule Irregularity caused by UA, UA will take the
following measures:
(i) Transport the Passenger on its own flights, subject to availability, to the Destination, next Stopover point, or transfer point shown on its portion of the Ticket, without Stopover in the same class of service, at no additional cost to the Passenger; or
Class of service isn't all that well defined to make it clear if it's reffering to use ticket class (eg, "P") or the cabin class (eg, "Global First"). The best that's there is the somewhat circular definition :

I) “Class of service” in this Contract of Carriage refers to classes of service as determined by UA without regard to the specific level of ancillary services or amenities provided in that class of service (as compared to any originally
scheduled flight).
However the use of "Class of service" through the CoC does make it sound far more like it's referring to the cabin.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
What exactly is the difference between, on the one hand, setting out to deceive someone into entering into a contract on a falsehood and succeeding in doing so and, on the other hand, fraud?

Years ago, when I studied some law in England, there was something called the Unfair Contract Terms Act. I have no idea if it still exists and can't recall the specifics but the concept behind it was to prohibit one-sided contracts in consumer transactions - where the consumer had no ability to influence the terms of the contract. The classic example was a dry cleaner having small print in the contract getting out of any responsibility for damage to clothing in his care - but I would have thought that airline contracts are broadly similar in concept.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
In the IRROPS situation, would UA provide a full refund instead?

I sure don't like defending UA, but it seems they are selling a F product at a Y price, with every intention of fulfilling that sale. If the inventory changes (flight cancel), the product is no longer available. If this were to happen in a retail business, I'd be disappointed, but I'd simply take my money back.

I agree it's deceptive and annoying, but it doesn't feel like fraud to me. Now, if they say your only option is Y and you're not entitled to a refund if you choose not to take the flight, that's a different story.

As a practical matter, it sucks for the passenger no matter how it works out.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JBord
In the IRROPS situation, would UA provide a full refund instead?

I sure don't like defending UA, but it seems they are selling a F product at a Y price, with every intention of fulfilling that sale. If the inventory changes (flight cancel), the product is no longer available. If this were to happen in a retail business, I'd be disappointed, but I'd simply take my money back.

I agree it's deceptive and annoying, but it doesn't feel like fraud to me. Now, if they say your only option is Y and you're not entitled to a refund if you choose not to take the flight, that's a different story.

As a practical matter, it sucks for the passenger no matter how it works out.
AFAIK on a USA carrier you're always entitled to a refund to your original means of payment if your flight is cancelled. However, this often isn't a good idea as it would cost far more to purchase an equivalent new ticket at that time.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Legal fare basis/class is the one on the receipt

My receipt says "A" and "Global First". I actually saved the printed "fare rules" presented to me during the purchase process. There is no mention of "instant upgrade" or "business class with the choice to sit in Global first." United is making this up as they go along under the assumption that they can get away with it. They're right most of the time.

United cannot argue that the "real" fare basis is one they (i) do not show to consumers during the purchase process (ii) hide behind captchas and make nearly impossible to find, (iii) write in a language that is nearly impossible to read and understand or (iv) retrieve post-purchase.

FWIW, the DOT is like any other regulator. Their job is to enforce (and to some extent interpret) the law. That's why the point of this thread is to encourage anyone who is defrauded by United in this way to file a complaint with the DOT. The more consumer complaints they get, the more likely that they'll take action to enforce existing rules and law.

In the earlier instance of United's fare fraud, I also filed a complaint with my state Attorney General. I'm getting more traction with the DOT, though in my state (CA) they AG does occasionally get involved in issues like this one.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
What a captcha is

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
It's an interstitial page that requires the user to input a series of letters and/or numbers that are often disguised because of background or the way they're written. These are usually deployed to prevent automated bots from scraping page content.

United deploys them to prevent consumers from seeing fare rules. It's obnoxious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.