Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

50K Flyers. Are you Jumping to AA or Delta? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi,

I've been United FF for many years, typically 1K, but now happily at Gold level flying.

I recently got status matched to the equivalent in both Delta (Gold) and AA (Platinum). I'm unsure who I should commit my business to and was wondering if people could add in why they decided to move from United to Delta or AA.

I really like that Delta and AA both give 100% bonus miles at Gold Level while United only give 50%.

I'm not happy that with Delta FF redemption to places like Australia is well over 100K miles but with UA and AA its about 80K.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
So much depends on where you live. Nobody in Houston is jumping to AA or DL. but if you live in Chicago or New York or Los Angeles, it is a different matter.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:45 pm

staying put

Staying put
economy plus is the deal breaker
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
If I go it will be to Delta as I'm in SEA and fly to Asia a lot. But the E+ is also a big consideration. Torn.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:49 pm

I did the ultimate best of both worlds compromise: Status matched to Alaska Airlines MVP Gold.

I can fly either DL or AA, use my status on both airlines and accrue miles on both into my Alaska account.

United lost me for good. Flexibility is a beautiful thing.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:58 pm

Staying put for the time being... No other carrier flys direct to the Bay Area (SFO, OAK) from SNA.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by eghansen
So much depends on where you live. Nobody in Houston is jumping to AA or DL. but if you live in Chicago or New York or Los Angeles, it is a different matter.
Speak for your self. Granted, I am a 100,000+ mile a year flyer, but I am based in Houston and changed to AA and haven't looked back. Between US and AA there is roughly 35 flights a day to several destinations. But then again, I am not flying to places like MFE, SAT, AUS, MSY etc..
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by trk1
Staying put
Ignore the voice of United.... Both DL and AA have E+. The DL product is far better btb, and includes a free drink and snack on some routes. VX does this as well.

AA is upgrades by certs. You will get they for every 10K you fly. DL is "comp" So if you are going to be flying high demand routes, then upgrades on DL will be few and far between (but better than the impossible on UAL at this point). You may do better on AA.

But both have far better service domestically, and as you note, the 50K level on MP is a bad joke....
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Staying put
I just flew Delta yesterday. And they don't have economy plus but they have economy comfort. Exact same thing. But on international flights Delta give you 50% discounted Economy plus but its free for domestic. That seems a bit stingy.

Now I did see something that had me thinking. Delta like UA has CPU. But half of first class was empty ... on two legs (ANC -> SEA) and (SEA -> SJC). I've never ever seen a United plane with more than one or two empty seats in first class. So maybe Delta is also a bit stingy with CPUs?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA silver (soft landing from 1K), AA plat, HHonors gold, Ambassador club, DC
I made the switch to AA last year and am very happy. I have been gold, plat and 1K with UA and am happier now as an AA plat than I was as a 1K. I get to fly in 1st more (and especially when it really matters to me), have had no operational issues and I have received excellent customer service on the phone, at the airport and on their planes. The difference in food quality in first was truly shocking IMO. The big potential downside is what will happen with the merger. I went through the merger with both airlines, and it is clear to me that AA is handling it much better. If AA flights even come close to fulling your needs, I think you will better off as an AA Plat than UA gold.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by inpd
Quote:

Staying put

I just flew Delta yesterday. And they don't have economy plus but they have economy comfort. Exact same thing. But on international flights Delta give you 50% discounted Economy plus but its free for domestic. That seems a bit stingy.

Now I did see something that had me thinking. Delta like UA has CPU. But half of first class was empty ... on two legs (ANC -> SEA) and (SEA -> SJC). I've never ever seen a United plane with more than one or two empty seats in first class. So maybe Delta is also a bit stingy with CPUs?
You are misinterpreting. Means they don't do tod
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CLEContinental
I did the ultimate best of both worlds compromise: Status matched to Alaska Airlines MVP Gold.

I can fly either DL or AA, use my status on both airlines and accrue miles on both into my Alaska account.

United lost me for good. Flexibility is a beautiful thing.
As I live in Seattle, I have so many choices. I am doing the same as above. UAL DBA COAL has lost my business.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I'm a UA Gold, mainly leisure, flyer, who would be Plat or 1K without PQD. I'm trying to decide where to shift my 2015 business. DL is a non-starter due to QD. I'm trying to decide between AA with MCE, stickers, OneWorld, potential SWU's, and the uncertainty of the merger/possibility of QD/spend accrual...and AS with fewer upgrade options in the east but better redemption partners and a less a likely a to a be a devalued program. Decision to be made in November or so.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by inpd

Both routes are probably very "elite light" for a DL flight. But there is a fundemental difference in how CPU is handeled.

Delta will (when space is available) sell discounted P/A fares. And as the flight gets full in Y, but F is not full, the spread can get close. I've paid $99 or $109 more for a P/A on DL when Y was only available in top buckets. United does a similar thing when only Y/B/M/E fares are available.

But on DAL:

(1) there are no deep discount F fares with little price spread when Y is cheap
(2) Delta does not sell TODs. It makes no offers at all to upsell to F (unlike United who e-mails them to you, offers at check in, offers when printing the ticket) once you have purchased the coach fare, UNLESS, everyone on the upgrade list has been upgraded. The only time I've seen upgrades being sold are on flights where the upgrade list has no one on it.
(3) GS fliers (many of which are corporate give aways) don't trump other status, and
(4) deep discounted corporate tickets (that 40% B/M that cost less than your H, W, etc) don't then take up much of the upgrades.

Delta has succeeded in selling more F seats (and there are fewer upgrades than a few years ago as a result) but it has done so by selling First Class, not by selling upgrades.

The net result (if you look at the DL board, or folks here) is that upgrades happen far more often on DAL than on United. I've even been upgrades a few times using my Alaska MVP75 status, and its bottom of the pecking order.

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
You are misinterpreting. Means they don't do tod
yup. AA does not do it either. Its a CO/Jeff special "change you will like"
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:23 pm
mkr
Suspended

Location: Just outside Big D, or many other places in big metal tubes
Programs: WN Rpd.Rwrds, AA, was longtime CO very top Elite tier, Overentitled UA Lifetime 1K (since 2012)
Originally Posted by mrydoc
I made the switch to AA last year and am very happy.......... The difference in food quality in first was truly shocking IMO......
Yes, I heard AA is now serving electric eel in First.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.