Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated GVA connection time/logistics/lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated GVA connection time/logistics/lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
LX lounges have re-opened in GVA. 3 hours is a lot of time ... should be plenty. 1h15 in MUC should be pretty safe as well.
I have already changed my Munich connection flights. After seeing what happened last week with Lufthansa on strike for a day I couldn't take a chance that we and our luggage wouldn't make it to Stockholm. We are going on a cruise and need to have clothing for 2 weeks.

Do the LX lounges have showers? Is there a specific one for UA J pax to use?
Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
I will arrive in Geneva from UA974 in Polaris business class on Aug. 14. I have 3 hours to connect to SK 2616 to ARN. Which lounge can I use for the layover? I was supposed to connect in Munich but I changed my flights to Geneva due to all the problems at airports in Germany and only an hour 15 minute connection. I was afraid our luggage and us wouldn't make it onto a LH flight.

Also, with all the mishandled bags in Europe is 3 hours enough time for our luggage to make it off a UA flight and onto the SK flight? How backed up is GVA airport?
What status do you have with UA? What class of service is SK 2616?

If gold, or your outbound flight is in business class, you’ll have access to the LX lounge. If not, you have no lounge access as posted.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I have already changed my Munich connection flights. After seeing what happened last week with Lufthansa on strike for a day I couldn't take a chance that we and our luggage wouldn't make it to Stockholm. We are going on a cruise and need to have clothing for 2 weeks.

Do the LX lounges have showers? Is there a specific one for UA J pax to use?
No showers in GVA lounges. MUC has showers. You will need an SK business class BP to gain access to the LX lounge.

Best options for showers and best connection is ZRH where you would have showers in E and A lounges as well as the arrival lounge if you wanted that. GVA is not great for showers
Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I will arrive in Geneva from UA974 in Polaris business class on Aug. 14. ...
Your arrival In Polaris means nothing in terms of lounge access at Geneva. Access will depend on your status or class of service (if lacking quaifying status) of your next flight.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 3:28 pm

No showers in GVA lounges. MUC has showers. You will need an SK business class BP to gain access to the LX lounge.

Best options for showers and best connection is ZRH where you would have showers in E and A lounges as well as the arrival lounge if you wanted that. GVA is not great for showers
We are in business on SK 2616.

I did not go with the Zurich flight as it is from ORD and I would have had to leave MCI at 7:30am vs leaving MCI at 8:15am for IAD with a 4 hour connection in ZRH. I will wait and shower when we get to the hotel in Stockholm then.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:08 am

Nitpicking: You'll be flying SAS Plus, not Business

Still includes lounge access to the LX Business lounge. As others pointed out, no showers (some time ago, they'd give you a chip for the pay-for-shower in the public area, but this has been enhanced away)

Zürich would probably have been the better option (or just keeping MUC) - but GVA isn't as bad as some might make it. Still better by miles than FRA
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Nitpicking: You'll be flying SAS Plus, not Business

Still includes lounge access to the LX Business lounge. As others pointed out, no showers (some time ago, they'd give you a chip for the pay-for-shower in the public area, but this has been enhanced away)

Zürich would probably have been the better option (or just keeping MUC) - but GVA isn't as bad as some might make it. Still better by miles than FRA
Well too late to change to Zurich, today there are no award tix available through there. Yesterday there were plenty of seats.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA MM

There’s always the Jet d’Eau.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 5:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
GVA connection

I am flying IAD - ZRH through GVA… crazy, I know, but saved $1,000 on the ticket by taking the connection. Plus, I arrive in Zurich at 11:00AM instead of 7:30 AM on a direct to ZRH flight from the US - which means that I won’t have to wait forever to check in to my hotel (trading where I’m spending time).

Anyway, I’ve got a 2+ hour layover in GVA. A couple of questions

1.) what is the international to domestic connection process?

2.) I’m in Polaris on IAD to GVA and biz on the Swiss flight, GVA to ZRH - suggestion on a lounge?
Old Nov 11, 2022, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonisflying
I am flying IAD - ZRH through GVA… crazy, I know, but saved $1,000 on the ticket by taking the connection. Plus, I arrive in Zurich at 11:00AM instead of 7:30 AM on a direct to ZRH flight from the US - which means that I won’t have to wait forever to check in to my hotel (trading where I’m spending time).

Anyway, I’ve got a 2+ hour layover in GVA. A couple of questions

1.) what is the international to domestic connection process?

2.) I’m in Polaris on IAD to GVA and biz on the Swiss flight, GVA to ZRH - suggestion on a lounge?
You'll of course enter Schengen at GVA, then connect. It's not a large airport, and it's not typically very busy. I believe only lounge option (without some access means other than ticket) is the LX one; it's small and nothing special, but it's serviceable — espresso, muesli, eggs, etc.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonisflying
I am flying IAD - ZRH through GVA… crazy, I know, but saved $1,000 on the ticket by taking the connection.
Definitions may vary, of course, but I’d consider it crazy to take a nonstop when a connecting flight is $1000 cheaper.
SPN Lifer and jonisflying like this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 4:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
You'll of course enter Schengen at GVA, then connect. It's not a large airport, and it's not typically very busy. I believe only lounge option (without some access means other than ticket) is the LX one; it's small and nothing special, but it's serviceable — espresso, muesli, eggs, etc.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by jsloan
Definitions may vary, of course, but I’d consider it crazy to take a nonstop when a connecting flight is $1000 cheaper.
Yeah, it was actually closer to $1,200, and forgot who would be reading my question! LOL!
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 3:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I did a recent GVA connection as part of RDU-IAD-GVA-VIE.

- It was a long walk from the UA gate to customs/immigration. Probably about 15 minutes from our gate at the far end of the concourse
- Going through passport control was a breeze. Maybe a two minute wait and a minute with the agent
- The security checkpoint to reenter the secure area is awful. It was a bottleneck on the lower level near the exit through the duty free. A single x ray machine and a single person scanner with a bored agent looking at everyone's boarding pass. It backed up considerably and they were really finicky about liquids.
- Once back upstairs it was easy to get to the LX Senator Lounge which is on the upper level above the main airside area.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 3:48 pm

Flying GVA to IAD, what should I know about GVA

Flying from GVA to IAD, United Polaris. I am 1K my wife is Silver. Is there a Business class check-in lane? What lounges are available to us after clearing security? Any other advice?

Thanks
Old May 18, 2023, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by inloworbit
Flying from GVA to IAD, United Polaris. I am 1K my wife is Silver. Is there a Business class check-in lane? What lounges are available to us after clearing security? Any other advice?

Thanks
Yes there will be Premier Access and/or Polaris/1K line at check-in. You will have access to LX lounge, which is in the Schengen zone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.