Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Air India (AI) joined *A - UA M+ RDMs/EQMs, Redemptions{now on ua.com},Experinces,...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Print Wikipost

Air India (AI) joined *A - UA M+ RDMs/EQMs, Redemptions{now on ua.com},Experinces,...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by abaheti
On the other hand, I'd bet a lot of AI flyers can't wait to redeem on other *A carriers! Maybe that will alleviate some of the load. :-)

aacharya raises an interesting point about behind the scenes IT; do *A carriers have to agree to some minimal level of availability for partner redemptions? And will LH be "coaching" AI on IT changes/processes/etc?
I think *A does expect something - but as we know from UA MP, there are airlines where we can't see the availability online (SQ), and have to rely on Aeroplan/ANA to find it. So I do imagine *A IT will go a long way - but we may still have to call in for AI, for all we know.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The star alliance is really going down-hill. Air India's admission to *A has been in progress/rejected/delayed for years now. I am surprised they finally made it, *A must be awfully desperate. Jet Airways would have made a far better addition. UA had a partnership with them for like a week about 8 years ago. I think they sent out a press release and then the partnership was canned.

Sorry to say, but One World's airlines membership like Qatar, BA and Cathay are light-years ahead of *A
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
The star alliance is really going down-hill. Air India's admission to *A has been in progress/rejected/delayed for years now. I am surprised they finally made it, *A must be awfully desperate. Jet Airways would have made a far better addition. UA had a partnership with them for like a week about 8 years ago. I think they sent out a press release and then the partnership was canned.

Sorry to say, but One World's airlines membership like Qatar, BA and Cathay are light-years ahead of *A
My impression was that the government of India kind of forced *A to deal with AI and wouldn't entertain other options. The other alliances benefit from now having open season on Jet and any of the other up and comers. IIRC, Jet even applied to join *A a couple of years ago and the government basically said NO to alliances until AI gets an alliance.

http://www.livemint.com/Companies/Vl...-Alliance.html
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
My impression was that the government of India kind of forced *A to deal with AI and wouldn't entertain other options. The other alliances benefit from now having open season on Jet and any of the other up and comers. IIRC, Jet even applied to join *A a couple of years ago and the government basically said NO to alliances until AI gets an alliance.

http://www.livemint.com/Companies/Vl...-Alliance.html
How could the government of India force *A into anything? Sure, they were probably telling AI to go find an alliance, but what could they have possibly held over Star Alliance's head to force this to happen? Landing slots at Indian airports for other *A airlines? (serious question, BTW)
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
What will this mean for United's relationship with Jet Airways? Hard to see them continuing with two airlines in one country.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Jet Airways would have made a far better addition.
jet airways has been going downhill for the past few years now & its an absolute pain to fly & deal with them now....there are tons of horror stories regarding their service & attitude as of late in the india based airlines forum....
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by zcat18
How could the government of India force *A into anything? Sure, they were probably telling AI to go find an alliance, but what could they have possibly held over Star Alliance's head to force this to happen? Landing slots at Indian airports for other *A airlines? (serious question, BTW)
technically they didn't force star but they made it pretty clear that they would not give clearance for any other airline from india to join the alliance unless ai joined first....so basically star had a choice of not having an airline from india in the alliance or letting ai join....
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
From the articles over the years, I thought that the government had declined Jet's *A application and had lobbied *A members and had basically told *A that until AI found a partner, others (including Jet) were off the table.

This article discusses supposed "benefits" that LH was given as an inducement to help AI join Star.

http://boardingarea.wpengine.netdna-.../10/image6.png

Civil Aviation minister told media that Lufthansa, which is the founding member of Star Alliance, was given a lot of benefits to ensure that Air India joins the grouping.

“I believe a lot of facilities were given to the airline (Lufthansa) so that it would mentor Air India to join Star Alliance. They were given a lot of flights, it was made almost open skies for them. Now we are going to talk to Lufthansa to adhere to the plan we had,” Singh said.
Good analysis from last year: http://upgrd.com/aerospace/rejected-...-oneworld.html

http://upgrd.com/aerospace/spotlight...and-india.html
According to CAPA, the deployment of larger aircraft is Lufthansa's "main mechanism to expand in the growing India market." Currently, Lufthansa is facing two constraints within its Germany-India operations. Firstly, Germany and India are subject to bilateral agreements, which essentially limit the number of flights that a German airline can operate into India to 50 weekly frequencies (Lufthansa is currently utilizing 46 of those). Secondly, the Germany-India bilateral agreement specifically limits carriers from not operating aircraft larger than the 747 into Indian airports.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I've never flown AI. Is it anything like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fOaW6A4j5E

Warning: NSFW language.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:13 pm

Interesting lunchtime reading. Thanks, Keyser and abaheti.

The author of the UPGRD article is right when he makes the statement that the real benefit to the consumer is in AI's domestic route network (since nobody in their right mind would rather spend 15 hours on AI in any class than on any other *A carrier that can get them from North America to India). At least now we can earn miles on intra-India flights, which makes me fairly happy.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

do *A carriers have to agree to some minimal level of availability for partner redemptions?
Nope. Just look to SQ or NZ for proof.

Award payment rates (and, subsequently, access) are negotiated bilaterally. Each airline has to cut a deal with AI on what they're willing to pay for award seats. And then the operating carrier gets to decide how many seats to make available. If they don't want to put seats in to X/I/O then they don't have to.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The author of the UPGRD article is right when he makes the statement that the real benefit to the consumer is in AI's domestic route network (since nobody in their right mind would rather spend 15 hours on AI in any class than on any other *A carrier that can get them from North America to India).
actually i don't think the author is right at all....i've flown most star carriers multiple times between india - north america & i find business & first on ai far better than most star carriers....
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
actually i don't think the author is right at all....i've flown most star carriers multiple times between india - north america & i find business & first on ai far better than most star carriers....
Interesting. I've never flown AI longhaul, so I can't speak to it but have heard overwhelmingly bad things. I know they're updating their offerings, but I've even heard poor reviews of the new products. Perhaps there will be an opportunity to see for myself what they have to offer at some point soon.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors

Oneworld has zero airlines in the entire continent of Africa (other than some worthless regional feeder subsidiary of BA out of JNB)

OW's entire east Asia is carried by CX (since JL is way past its golden age while MH is so tarnished after the incident), while star has a full roster of NH SQ OZ CA BR TG. Oneworld doesn't have a single airline hubbing in the 2 most populous countries on earth.

OW's largest hub in Europe (LHR) doesn't even offer terminal co-location ... I'm sure you'll enjoy those terminal transfers

Star is desperate to get AI ? I wonder who tried to get kingfisher with its excellent track record of trust

Last edited by J.Edward; Jun 25, 2014 at 4:30 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AMEX Plat, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
nice to know that we have more options to get actual miles flown credited to our account instead of ua's new rdm model being implemented march 2015. i have a trip to india next year and was planning on using ua but now heavily considering air india instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.