Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Partial UA system meltdown at EWR evening of 21 Jun; delays for some EU-bound flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Partial UA system meltdown at EWR evening of 21 Jun; delays for some EU-bound flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"

Waiting for UA29 dep to LHR @ EWR PC110. Equipment (772) arrived from FRA and has been here for seven hours. However, the UC agents have told others that the delay is caused by a system malfunction. UA IT.... Rolling 30 minute delays have gone on for almost 2 hours now. UA.COM attributes this delay to "Status: Delayed due to computer system or communications outage (Estimated Departure 1 Hour 50 Minutes Late)". BTW, it stated "severe weather conditions" until the last refresh in the classic disingenous UA way. I don't like it when UA blankets all delay under the guise of "weather" when it patently is not.

Meantime, my checked case is still @ GRU following last night's irop on the ORD departure... I suppose I should be happy that they did protect me and reroute me via EWR while preserving my BF seat. That part was good... the rest, not so much.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-P659 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

They've had a lot of small scale SHARES issues lately. They're usually off hours or localized so the media doesn't pick up on them.

This is the fourth i can think of in the past month or so.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
How the story changes on UA.COM

Here's what it said about 30 mins ago...and then just now, look how the story changes... look underneath the United Flight 29 header halfway down for the reason...

Last edited by redtailshark; Jun 21, 2014 at 6:37 pm Reason: Clarify relevant text position in images
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:22 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
No issues (computer wise) at ORD. Plenty of flights diverted though, I know LH to ORD ended up in DTT, and just had an aborted landing on its continuation to ORD.

Irrops for all airlines here, no computer issues though, just 1 inch hail (not at the airport, but close enough for the sever t storm warning.)

By the way, check again, my app says 29 delayed to sever wx in network.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
SFO has been down for hours. Complete computer outage - no checkin, no baggage check, no boarding passes issued.

http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/sfo-...s-lines/vDFPf/
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Unbelievable.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hrrmph...still here @ EWR. UA29 is now delayed after UA940, which was the originally scheduled 10pm LHR flight. The story has changed several times in the past hour, from weather to systems to weather again.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Just got this email from corporate travel agent -- sounds like the outage is systemwide.

Temporary System Outage

Due to a temporary computer system outage, travelers are permitted to make voluntarily changes to their plans within the parameters provided below.

Impacted city Dates

All cities Original travel date: June 21, 2014

Travel agents may make changes to tickets they have issued within the guidelines set forth by United by entering waiver code 7JC13 in the OSI field (ARC reporting agencies) or ticket designator box (BSP reporting agencies).

Flight Changes:
For original scheduled travel occurring to/from the impacted cities June 21, 2014.

Change fee and add/collect will be waived under the following conditions:
• Rescheduled travel originates June 21, 2014 - June 22, 2014
• Travel must be to the same cities previously ticketed
• Travel may be rescheduled in any booking class, same cabin
• Min/max stay requirements must be met for wholly rescheduled travel
Change fee will be waived, but add/collect applies:
• When rescheduled travel originates after June 22, 2014
• New itinerary can be any origin or destination
• Any class of service
• New fare rules apply
Refunds:
Travel agents may self-refund tickets they have issued under the following conditions:
• Original flight is canceled
• Original flight is delayed and is scheduled to arrive at the final destination more than 2 hours after original arrival time.
Enter waiver code 7JC13
in the OSI field (ARC reporting agencies) or through BSP Link (BSP reporting agencies).
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Didn't Smisek say this wouldn't happen again?
The video says Continental is a "partner" with United. I wish it was 4 years ago
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: Continental
Everybody got Smiseked today!
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Guess we now know the excuse if the 2Q numbers aren't good.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Wow. What a mess. Today is the first day of summer ( of hell)
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by JerryFF
SFO has been down for hours. Complete computer outage - no checkin, no baggage check, no boarding passes issued.

http://www.ktvu.com/videos/news/sfo-...s-lines/vDFPf/
Wow, lucky my flight from SFO left early in the afternoon. Though I didn't use airport check-in or baggage, so maybe it had already started but I didn't notice.

Weird news bit at the KTVU link - they said in addition to the United snafus, that "Continental" is also a partner and that "there were long lines at Continental as well"....
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by wwu123
Wow, lucky my flight from SFO left early in the afternoon. Though I didn't use airport check-in or baggage, so maybe it had already started but I didn't notice.

Weird news bit at the KTVU link - they said in addition to the United snafus, that "Continental" is also a partner and that "there were long lines at Continental as well"....
LOL , Continental has a long line too?

KTVU was the same news station that said the 4 pilot names from the OZ flight.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Guess we now know the excuse if the 2Q numbers aren't good.
So are you saying this was self induced?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.