Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding because didn't have Visa for China, though only connecting there.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding because didn't have Visa for China, though only connecting there.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Just when I thought these UA apologists couldn't get any worse...

OP, file a complaint to the DOT, contact UA to get your money back, compensation, and to get the agent fired/reprimanded. If all else fails, and I usually don't suggest this, but file a lawsuit. If this is actually how it went UA is 100% at fault.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LilAbner
I agree with these questions as perhaps there were people traveling that did not have passports (U.S.) that allowed them to transit China.
To the best of my knowledge, no passports are prohibited from using 24 hour TWOV in China.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
100% UA fault.

Aaron, you should jump in and fix this for the OP.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA3MMbis 1K, AA3½MMbis Plat, AF1MMbis, BonvoyLTT
To the OP, I simply want to say how very, very sorry I am that this happened to you. I was once denied boarding due to an agent incorrectly (mis)understanding TIMATIC, delaying an important business trip by a day. I remember how incredibly powerless I felt in the face of utterly invalid abuse of authority. My experience as a solo business traveller cannot begin to equal what your family went through in this long-planned trip of a lifetime.

The advice you have been given on seeking attention from UA (and one hopes UA Insider too) is good, as is not threatening legal action but undertaking it as a last resort. All I really want to add, though, is my own sympathy to many others for what you've gone through. I hope UA makes this right and somehow your family gets to carry out this reunion soon.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I hope UA compensates this traveler in full. This sort of outrageous incompetence at UA needs to stop.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I hope UA compensates this traveler in full. This sort of outrageous incompetence at UA needs to stop.
They ( United management ) need to re write the procedures on how this is handled. DOCS check when flying internationally. The current procedures are unfriendly ( especially the redundant second check at the gate) and do not work. A lot of stupid, redundant checks because of gate agent / check agent ignorance, resulting in delays and ruined travel.

The best place to check this is during check in before the boarding pass is issued.

I also blame UA on POOR TRAINING. This is not the passengers responsibility, the fault is entirely on UA.

Last edited by meFIRST; Jun 17, 2014 at 11:53 pm
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by ginanellis
After 5 hours total of being on the phone that morning, it ended with the United Airlines rep, telling us to file a complaint with Air China because they owned the tickets and that they would do an investigation and decide if we would get a refund or to go to the ticketing counter at the Airport to work it out. They would not help us any further.

[Name deleted by Moderator]
Are you kidding me? UNITED tried to pass the buck to Air China for their screw up. Call your local TV station. If anyone needs further proof about how messed up UA is, add this to your list.

If this happened to me, ( it wouldn't) but if it did, I would seek damages for losses incurred and would not be satisfied until those two employees that denied you boarding were fired, and the remaining employees retrained.

THIS IS ENRIELY UNITED's FAULT. Don't let them get away with it.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Shorten the letter by 75%. Get to the point.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Just traveling USA to China and return does NOT qualitfy for YWOV because it is not TRANSIT
Understood. I wasn't correcting your comment; I was supporting and adding to it.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paul56
Maybe I am missing something here...

Why would United block your travel to SF since this was a
domestic flight and had nothing to do with the China portion?

In any case, United employees were obviously proceeding
based on misinformation... bad on them.
Yes, you are missing something here. They (and their bags) were being checked through to an int'l flight. When you travel on a domestic flight to an int'l connection, the bags are checked through and the passengers are checked in for the int'l flight. One is not checked in just to SF where they would have to pick up their bags and check them in again. Intl travel does not work like that.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by coinboy66
It is very likely this was ultimately United's mistake, as they certainly appeared to have incorrect information, but as a human being traveling to a foreign country, OP should have been better prepared for this situation.

My philosophy is that every single person in the world should have a visa when they enter a foreign country as a baseline default, regardless of if they are transiting for an hour or living there for ten years.
LOL. Do you also get visas for every country your flight will pass over? Because hey, who knows, the plane could have an in-flight emergency and have to divert to the nearest airport. Getting visas when they are not required is a waste of time and money.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:02 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by coinboy66
In no way whatsoever did I suggest that they should have gotten visitor visas "just in case".
Yes you did, you said everybody should have a visa, whether transiting for an hour or staying for ten years.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by wrp96
Which is ironic because the US does not allow people to transit without a visa (if one is normally required for a visit).
I mean other than the US. We're the absurd outlier on so many things.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ginanellis
... After 5 hours total of being on the phone that morning, it ended with the United Airlines rep, telling us to file a complaint with Air China because they owned the tickets....
Confused about that statement. Were the tickets written on Air China stock?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Boghopper
I mean other than the US. We're the absurd outlier on so many things.
And for good reason. One of the laws in this country is that if you put a foot on the ground and scream "Asylum" we have to let you in while we investigate your claim. If we didn't require a visa, half of Africa and South America would be buying tickets that had a US transit stop and staying here.

And it's not just the US. On flights from Africa to Germany I have witnessed military board the plane before any passengers were let off and not let anyone off the plane unless they had a visa (or were from a country that didn't need one). If you were from Ghana (Yeah! We Won!!!) and didn't have a visa, they wouldn't let you off the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.