Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding because didn't have Visa for China, though only connecting there.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding because didn't have Visa for China, though only connecting there.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:22 am

United always gets this wrong

I have lived in China for more than 10 years, I am 1K with United, and they always get this wrong. I have Chinese employment residency, so I typically booked flights from China to the USA. Typically United gets very nervous when I return to China because they can't understand how I can go to China without an onward bound ticket. The visa issue is equally complicated for them, but in fact they are totally wrong about you requiring a visa for transit in any Chinese airport. A transit visa is not required and an entry visa is not required for any transit passenger. In fact, in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and several other Chinese cities, USA citizens are entitled to a 72 hour transit visa on arrival. Not only can you transit the airport, but you can actually enter into China, for 72 hours, and you only need to apply and pay a visa application fee on arrival at the airport. All United needs to do is look this up on the Internet, it's published by China national tourism, Shanghai tourism, Beijing tourism, etc. United gets it so wrong that once they refused to issue me a boarding pass because I didn't have a ticket out of the country. I was originating my flight in Orlando; they said I had to buy a ticket back to the USA before they would allow me to go to China. So I purchased a 100% refundable ticket in Orlando. Got on the flight to Chicago. In Chicago I process my refund for the ticket purchase two hours before. The ticket agent in Chicago smiled and asked me why I was refunding a ticket I had purchased just a couple of hours ago in Orlando? I explained the situation and he was actually very apologetic, said that it was absolutely unnecessary and he would make a reference about the agent who had actually sold me the ticket Orlando. The problem is, United always thinks they are hundred percent right, the customer is always 100% wrong, and the only recourse that I know to avoid this is fly other carriers. I am living in Shanghai, although I am a 1K United member, 2,000,000 miles, I regularly fly ANA to the USA Gateway and then take United only on the domestic portion. Disappointing but the reality in flying the friendly skies.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by Tbk2000
The problem is, United always thinks they are hundred percent right, the customer is always 100% wrong, and the only recourse that I know to avoid this is fly other carriers. I am living in Shanghai, although I am a 1K United member, 2,000,000 miles, I regularly fly ANA to the USA Gateway and then take United only on the domestic portion. Disappointing but the reality in flying the friendly skies.
TRAINING!

"The friendly skies (UA) airline" needs training - period.

In the OP's case, UA was not 100% wrong - the rude agent was 1000% wrong.

I asked an agent at DL and he said that a screen will pop up if a Visa is needed when the passenger checks in. Perhaps UA's system is different?

They both use TIMATIC . Perhaps UA needs a new operating system.

This is the thread that can not die, until the OP returns to PHX and lets everyone know what happened - if he ever does. I hope UA did right for the OP.

This event would not have happen to me, but I fly a few miles a year, lots... and a an untrained agent in PHX needs retraining - or hit that 120 degree sidewalk in PHX, hitting the unemployment line. UA is 1000% at fault on this.

For the 13th time - It is called TIMATIC!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have lived in China for more than 10 years, I am 1K with United, and they always get this wrong. I have Chinese employment residency, so I typically booked flights from China to the USA. Typically United gets very nervous when I return to China because they can't understand how I can go to China without an onward bound ticket. The visa issue is equally complicated for them, but in fact they are totally wrong about you requiring a visa for transit in any Chinese airport. A transit visa is not required and an entry visa is not required for any transit passenger. In fact, in Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and several other Chinese cities, USA citizens are entitled to a 72 hour transit visa on arrival. Not only can you transit the airport, but you can actually enter into China, for 72 hours, and you only need to apply and pay a visa application fee on arrival at the airport. All United needs to do is look this up on the Internet, it's published by China national tourism, Shanghai tourism, Beijing tourism, etc. United gets it so wrong that once they refused to issue me a boarding pass because I didn't have a ticket out of the country. I was originating my flight in Orlando; they said I had to buy a ticket back to the USA before they would allow me to go to China. So I purchased a 100% refundable ticket in Orlando. Got on the flight to Chicago. In Chicago I process my refund for the ticket purchase two hours before. The ticket agent in Chicago smiled and asked me why I was refunding a ticket I had purchased just a couple of hours ago in Orlando? I explained the situation and he was actually very apologetic, said that it was absolutely unnecessary and he would make a reference about the agent who had actually sold me the ticket Orlando. The problem is, United always thinks they are hundred percent right, the customer is always 100% wrong, and the only recourse that I know to avoid this is fly other carriers. I am living in Shanghai, although I am a 1K United member, 2,000,000 miles, I regularly fly ANA to the USA Gateway and then take United only on the domestic portion. Disappointing but the reality in flying the friendly skies.
WRONG. It's not a transit visa on arrival. You don't apply for anything or pay any fee at the airport. It's 72 hour TWOV which means TRANSIT WITHOUT VISA. Talking about transit visas just confuses the issue. To repeat, NO TRANSIT VISA IS NEEDED (or probably even possible in most cases) to transit China for up to 72 hours at one of the allowed cities/airports if your passport is on the permitted list of countries.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 3:23 am

United gets it so wrong that once they refused to issue me a boarding pass because I didn't have a ticket out of the country. I was originating my flight in Orlando; they said I had to buy a ticket back to the USA before they would allow me to go to China. So I purchased a 100% refundable ticket in Orlando. Got on the flight to Chicago. In Chicago I process my refund for the ticket purchase two hours before. The ticket agent in Chicago smiled and asked me why I was refunding a ticket I had purchased just a couple of hours ago in Orlando? I explained the situation and he was actually very apologetic, said that it was absolutely unnecessary and he would make a reference about the agent who had actually sold me the ticket Orlando.
Why on earth would you possibly put up with this? China doesn't require onward tickets for valid visa holders.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:06 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by moondog
Why on earth would you possibly put up with this? China doesn't require onward tickets for valid visa holders.
Maybe it was the fastest or only way to get onto the flight. There's really no cost of doing this for most people.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe it was the fastest or only way to get onto the flight. There's really no cost of doing this for most people.
I have entered China 40 times in the past 6 months, and the onward ticket issue hasn't come up a even once (because it's not an issue).
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
I sure hope this post was in jest, but if not, then this is ridiculous. Are you actually saying that United Airlines employees are so ignorant that customers need to be ready to educate them on various legal and other aspects of their jobs?

I guess we should all carry the complete set of FAA regs and United's internal policy manual as well. After all, who knows where the ignorance of the average United employee stops?
x2 Absolutely, positively UA's fault - You don't need a visa to transit through PEK. It IS the responsibility of that agent and UA to reimburse this customer. I would be absolutely livid if this took place - god bless the OP as she dealt with it much calmer that I would have.

Stuff like this continues to blow my mind both throughout the US & CAN where there seems to be no government oversight of this industry! There should be huge accountability for something like this.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: UA3MMbis 1K, AA3½MMbis Plat, AF1MMbis, BonvoyLTT
I have entered China 40 times in the past 6 months, and the onward ticket issue hasn't come up a even once (because it's not an issue).
Let's be clear. This is about UA training and attitude. Three years ago I was in exactly the same situation at *IAD* flying to *LHR*. I was flying on a U.S. passport and the check-in agent, claiming she was getting this from TIMATIC didn't want to let me board on a return ticket to London (of a LHR-IAD roundtrip) because I had no further ticket out of the UK (where I live). She insisted that U.S. passport passengers could not travel to the UK without an onward ticket out of the country, that they would be denied entry by the UK Border staff, and that UA would be fined for sending me to Britain.

I nearly had to buy a refundable ticket back to get on the plane too. Only after 30 minutes of arguing and the technical closing of the flight did I finally find a supervisor who would let me having a boarding pass.

If this can happen at IAD to an experienced passenger flying to London, it can happen to anyone anytime ... as long as UA cannot understand transit/visa/immigration rules and TIMATIC, and as long as the 'we know' attitude persists.

It remains telling that Rory McIlroy's golfclubs get more courtesy from UA Insider on this board than this passenger's plight.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I have several expired Chinese visas in my passport and used TWOV recently as I don't have a new one.
Same here .... but I would feel out of place showing an immigration officer the rules they have been trained on.

Sure in other places, I did indeed experience friction with officers who did not understand what my travel intentions were. Never in China but LAX was an airport where the authorities had greatest difficulties understanding that I was just "flying through". YVR was another one when I connected to a non-US destination.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by GBman
If this can happen at IAD to an experienced passenger flying to London, it can happen to anyone anytime ... as long as UA cannot understand transit/visa/immigration rules and TIMATIC, and as long as the 'we know' attitude persists.

It remains telling that Rory McIlroy's golfclubs get more courtesy from UA Insider on this board than this passenger's plight.
This.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GBman
Let's be clear. This is about UA training and attitude. Three years ago I was in exactly the same situation at *IAD* flying to *LHR*. I was flying on a U.S. passport and the check-in agent, claiming she was getting this from TIMATIC didn't want to let me board on a return ticket to London (of a LHR-IAD roundtrip) because I had no further ticket out of the UK (where I live). She insisted that U.S. passport passengers could not travel to the UK without an onward ticket out of the country, that they would be denied entry by the UK Border staff, and that UA would be fined for sending me to Britain.

I nearly had to buy a refundable ticket back to get on the plane too. Only after 30 minutes of arguing and the technical closing of the flight did I finally find a supervisor who would let me having a boarding pass.

The golfclub fiasco was a public relations black eye - you need to be a celebrity with an Twitter account to get a public response for pretty much any company these days...although UA's condescending reply to Bette Midler's snack problem seems to indicate that everyone is treated as an "over-entitled whiner" when a product defect is pointed out publicly.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I apologise for being a bit harsh on you through this thread, I assumed that you would have already plugged into Timatic and seen what came up.

Now, I'm neither a US nor Phillipines citizen, nor am I a checkin agent in PHX, and the chances of me ever travelling from the US and transitting via China to the Phillipines are so close to zero that it's not funny so none of the conditions laid out applid to me. But it's so simple for me to interpret the rules in this case. Using the tools in the link I provided, that I remain astonished that this could have happened to the OP.

Out of interest did you think it easy to interpret or is my background as someone who worked in a huge bureaucracy in a past life blinding me the use of the language here?
I've never doubted that what he was doing is legal by Chinese rules--I fly to China enough that I don't need to look it up. I'm just favoring a more proactive approach of being prepared to document anything out of the ordinary in case you run into idiots like the one the OP encountered.

I just wanted the TIMATIC link for looking up requirements for a relative we are planning to do some travel with next year.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup: We've entered in excess of 20 times over the last 15 years--and have never once been asked for evidence of an onward ticket.

It's possible our track record has something to do with this, though--in the early days the rules were much looser and by now we have a long track record of not overstaying and not getting in trouble.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
While Taiwan technically is part of China, the PRC don't hold control of the island, so it's not their law that applies there, but that of the Republic of China. Which doesn't really make a difference in your case, as under both laws, you don't need a visa to do such transit.
I would ask that a moderator edit or delete this incendiary comment as the other posts about this topic were already deleted.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:20 am

This isn't the only thread in the UA forum where a customer was forced to buy their own work-around ticket to either bypass or correct a UA issue. I don't see UA resolving this problem without their hand being forced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.