Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disgruntled pax over bin space

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2014, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Disgruntled pax over bin space

On PHL-DEN 5/15, during late boarding, I was sitting in 1E and a lady who was probably in Zone 4 at that point was miffed that she couldn't get her carry-on onboard and into an overhead.

As she boarded she looked at me, the full bins in F, and the other passengers near me and yelled, "What... did y'all bring on 10 bags each? Frick! I had to check mine!"

Do you respond:
A) Sorry!

B) It is irrelevant, as our bags in F do not affect the bin space back in economy... You want to yell at the elites in your row that boarded in Zone1 and took all your space.

C) Everyone knows we can only bring on 2... But we did do our best!

D) What ... Do you fly United less than 10 times a year! Frick! Get to the back of the bus!

E) Nothing, but think of witty comebacks to write in this post.

I went with (E)
Old May 16, 2014, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
F. Hopefully they have served a PDB, and I will take a sip of my wine in a plastic cup, pinky in the air and say "Kettle, be gone. You bore me." scoff and put my sunglasses on.
Old May 16, 2014, 8:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
E for me tho I'll defer to others for the witty bon mots for this thread
Old May 16, 2014, 8:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Why bother expending air responding?
Old May 16, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WIRunner
F. Hopefully they have served a PDB, and I will take a sip of my wine in a plastic cup, pinky in the air and say "Kettle, be gone. You bore me." scoff and put my sunglasses on.
This is correct.
Old May 16, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
Wow, even the NON-elites are "over-entitled" ... I would txt SMI/J and suggest that ALL overhead bins be removed and checked bag fees elevated to $100 per bag.
Old May 16, 2014, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I just smile and laugh.
Old May 16, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Well, I would've wanted to go with A, albeit a version with a few words that wouldn't pass muster with the mods.

I would've actually gone with E, though.
Old May 16, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Clearly someone overwrought for some reason or other who knows nothing much about air travel. I would have gone with a sympathetic version of E.

If she had not been showing her ignorance so clearly --that no one in F puts anything in the back --I would have been have gone with the presented version of E. Actually it is the F folks who sometimes behave like that who are the real annoyance
Old May 16, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott BonVoy Titanium
Slightly off topic, but I have noticed that UA FAs don't try at all to ensure every passenger in first gets space in the bins. On the A320 you run out of bin space in first pretty quickly, and the FAs put no effort into helping / ensuring that every first class pax gets bin space.

If I pay for a first class ticket, I think I should get some bin space, no matter how late I board. Am I over-entitled?
Old May 16, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
"Frick"? Who's Frick?
Old May 16, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA fallen Gold, Marriott Gold, Priority Pass, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by taipeipeter
"Frick"? Who's Frick?
Frack's brother?
Old May 16, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
Originally Posted by points_maniac
Slightly off topic, but I have noticed that UA FAs don't try at all to ensure every passenger in first gets space in the bins.
On my flight several days ago, a FA was holding bag space in first for late customers like me. Needless to say, I am very grateful for that.
Old May 16, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by Volga981
On my flight several days ago, a FA was holding bag space in first for late customers like me. Needless to say, I am very grateful for that.
Have seen that too. They try to help out the back of the plane staff, but will save enough space for the number of pax still missing in F.
Old May 16, 2014, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Volga981
I've also seen this for the bulkhead rows, where the FAs will close the bins above row 7 on the PMUA 757s, for example, for those actually seated there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.