Wiki Posts
Search

No seats sold, yet no Saver awards?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, UAL
No seats sold, yet no Saver awards?

Just wondering how UAL can show no seats sold in Business on a MUC to ORD flight in September, but still have no Saver award tix for that flight. I imagine we should just wait and hope vs spending the Standard award points. When might we see Saver seats open up?
Old May 15, 2014, 5:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BadgerGreg
Just wondering how UAL can show no seats sold in Business on a MUC to ORD flight in September, but still have no Saver award tix for that flight. I imagine we should just wait and hope vs spending the Standard award points. When might we see Saver seats open up?
Online seat maps are not a reliable indicator of "no seats sold". People book travel without assigning a seat.
Suggest you look in the UA forum where this topic is discussed extensively.
This is the pertinent thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-2014-a.html

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; May 15, 2014 at 5:43 am Reason: added "not a reliable indicator"
Old May 15, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by BadgerGreg
In addition to the above comment, it may be worth noting that the Oktoberfest occurs mostly in September.
Old May 15, 2014, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. OP has no way of knowing that there are "no seats sold". There very well are likely seats sold, simply not selected.

2. Doesn't matter whether the seats are sold or not. Question is whether there are people who will people who will pay for them between now and Oktoberfest. There likely are and thus no reason to give them away at a fire sale price.

Saver intentory on UA and its cousins on DL, AA and other carriers are more typically for inventory which is not likely to be saleable.
Old May 15, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Since your post is specific to UA, I've moved it to the United Airlines | MileagePlus forum to gain the attention of those FlyerTalkers who are most knowledgable of the subject.

Readers will please note that this thread originated at the flame-free Information Desk, and reply accordingly.

Thanks everyone, and good luck to the OP.

~Moderator, Information Desk

Old May 15, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
This is the same for a lot of routes. I'm on LGA-IAH in December, on a Saturday, close to Xmas (i.e., no business travel). 9s across the board, 16/16 seats showing in F...yet R0/I0 of course.
Old May 15, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
BadgerGreg Go Bucky!! Right?

Do you have any status on UA? If so...or not...that changes what awards seats you are able to see availability for. UA publishes that one of their elite perks is that elites have a wider range of availability. So if you are looking on-line with out elite status you'll be seeing less.

Have you thought of going via IAD or EWR? Both of those cities are served by UA, and LH too and may have current availability that fits your plans.

Other than that, waiting is best.

Good luck!
Old May 15, 2014, 11:06 am
Suspended

I find this very often whenever they feel they will be able to sell the seats for $$

Unfortunately they are usually correct and Saver never shows up
Old May 15, 2014, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Online seat maps are not a reliable indicator of "no seats sold".
Actually seatmaps often are a relatively reliable indicator of load (though not always). But that's really not the relevant issue here.

The answer to OP's question is that it's not at all uncommon for UA not to release any advance saver award space on a given flight, regardless of how empty that flight may be. They may release space closer to departure, or they may not.

Originally Posted by Madone59
BadgerGreg Go Bucky!! Right?

Do you have any status on UA? If so...or not...that changes what awards seats you are able to see availability for.
A very very limited benefit when we are talking about business class seats. IN>I is not frequently seen, and when it is, it's typically only one additional seat. To the extent this benefit does exist, it's only for Plats and above.
Old May 15, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by Madone59
UA publishes that one of their elite perks is that elites have a wider range of availability.
I bolded that part for you.....it holds true for Saver Economy (I frequently see XN>X) but I believe it is pure myth for premium cabin Saver Awards. (happy to be proved wrong, but there is a long thread here on this)
Old May 15, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GroundStop
I bolded that part for you.....it holds true for Saver Economy (I frequently see XN>X) but I believe it is pure myth for premium cabin Saver Awards. (happy to be proved wrong, but there is a long thread here on this)
Proven wrong. MatthewLAX and I have both published screen shots of IN>I. As stated above, it's not much of a benefit though.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
1. OP has no way of knowing that there are "no seats sold". There very well are likely seats sold, simply not selected.
Sigh. Is the hope that by saying these make-believe categorical statements enough, they will come true?
Old May 15, 2014, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Sigh. Is the hope that by saying these make-believe categorical statements enough, they will come true?
And it's not really responsive to OP's inquiry. So what if there actually are 2/40 seats sold? The basic point, that there's no saver availability (or no R available) despite a more or less empty BF cabin, remains the same.

btw, I just ran a random search. UA953 MUC-ORD for 9/20/14, the seatmap shows two BF seats occupied. This matches 100% with bookings of 2/40.

So to repeat, seatmaps are often, though not always, a reliable indicator of load.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
To those saying that seat maps are not a reliable indicator:

Which flight do you want to bet has fewer seats sold?

Flight A that shows every seat occupied.

Flight B that shows zero seats occupied.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hobo13
To those saying that seat maps are not a reliable indicator:

Which flight do you want to bet has fewer seats sold?

Flight A that shows every seat occupied.

Flight B that shows zero seats occupied.
Obviously flight A. All the seats on that flight are currently blocked for crew rest.

Flight B has a180-person youth soccer team on a group ticket, and it's already sold out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.