Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling on a B fare, no seat assignment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz Prez

I have a flight tomorrow on a B fare, with no seat assignment, and no seats available on the seat map. United is not currently selling seats on this flight. This is on an ER145 that sells out regularly

I've tried searching, and found some info in the IDB thread, but I'm curious what's going to happen tomorrow. I'm a 1K, and I'll checkin 24 hours in advance. Is United going to bump another lower level passenger (assuming everyone checks-in, there are no no-shows) or am I likely to get an IDB? Last week United was forced to IDB 4 passengers (1 due to oversold and 3 due to weight restrictions) on this exact flight.

Similar question, if I SDC to an earlier flight that is showing Y1, B1, M0 and no seats open on the seat map, will I actually get on this and "bump" another passenger or would I be SOL under LIFO?
Old May 14, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I noticed something unusual with seatmaps the other day -- it was an RJ (CR2), and the website showed no seats, but the mobile app showed a couple exit rows open.

I was able to call and get one of those that was not available to me online.

At checkin it showed all of them, but not sure why they were blocked like that.

So maybe you can call and get something?

Regarding SDC, the C is for Confirmed, so you are confirmed on the flight if you switch. If that means they have to solicit volunteers and/or IDB someone, you have a confirmed reservation and have full rights as if you'd purchased it a week ago.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Are there seats showing when you do on-line check-in? There are a handful of seats that are only available for selection at check-in. In the end, I believe it is, more often than not, those without seat assignments that get IDB'd.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
Every narrowbody a/c has 2-6 specific seats blocked for assignment to disabled customers. Usually, these are still available and can be grabbed at check-in. You can figure it out on EF.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz Prez
Cool, Checkin is in a few hours, I'll update then. Feel bad for anyone that gets an IDB... but man, at the end of the week I just want to get home.
Old May 14, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
If you give flight details I can look it up.
Old May 14, 2014, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A 1K on a B fare is beyond unlikely to be IDB. In the case of an actual oversale which cannot be "cured" through VDB, carriers are required to IDB based on pre-determined categories rather than the last guy left standing in musical chairs.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
loads are pretty dynamic leading up to the flight, there's a decent chance at least one or more people will no show or miss the connection. i wouldn't worry too much about it until you find out whether (1) you can get a seat at OLCI and (2) they are soliciting volunteers, which means that yes, it's over and yes, you're in a bit of a pinch by not having a seat assignment.

while it is true that carriers are not supposed to IDB based on the "last guy standing in musical chairs", the fact is that there is some evidence that UA has handled the situation that way in the past...right or wrong. that being said, despite all the wrongs i feel like a 1K on a B fare has a pretty compelling case to not get IDB'd even in that situation. the fact of the matter is that as a 1K, if things really go south, you can reference the "access to most oversold flights" policy at a minimum, eg; refund your B fare and buy a Y on the spot and get them to IDB someone else that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.