Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Eligibility for Seat assignments are based on booking class and route length. In general, if you book a Y B M U H X Q V fare (or business or first class), you can get a free seat assignment on any ticket stock. If you book lower economy fares, you have to pay for seat assignment. In either case, you need to pay for a seat with extra leg room. See Lufthansa Seat reservations for Economy Class travelers for more specific conditions.

LH can't process payments if your ticket is not booked with LH stock, so if your seat assignment would require a payment, you simply can not get an advance seat assignment if you book through United (or any airline other than LH). Tickets booked on 016 stock appear to be able to get a seat assignment with payment, if the flight is booked on the LH flight number (but not if booked as a UA codeshare), but it may require calling to get this.

Even when eligible, seat assignments are not usually available on the LH website due to perpetual "technical difficulties" however they can be reserved by calling LH at either 800-645-3880 or 866-846-4283.

There have been reports that any change in the ticket may cause the seat assignment to be cleared. Therefore, it is recommended to check seat assignments if something is done to the reservation.

In LH forum -- Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
Print Wikipost

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:10 am

Selection Appears Bucket-Based

Last week flew FRA-DRS (Dresden) on LH after/before FRA-US return on UA metal. Bought FRA-DRS-FRA separately and later on united.com (priced same as LHusa.com). Purchased as LH 210 and 211 .bomb, not code-shares. Went to LHusa for seats. Outbound in H, no charge; inbound T with charge. Plastic accepted by LH (have LH account, not M&M though). No problems.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by robbeck1
Last week flew FRA-DRS (Dresden) on LH after/before FRA-US return on UA metal. Bought FRA-DRS-FRA separately and later on united.com (priced same as LHusa.com). Purchased as LH 210 and 211 .bomb, not code-shares. Went to LHusa for seats. Outbound in H, no charge; inbound T with charge. Plastic accepted by LH (have LH account, not M&M though). No problems.
you paid for a DRS-FRA seat assignment
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
you paid for a DRS-FRA seat assignment
Shouldn't have, but I did. Wanted to see if 2nd paragraph above was still correct. Ticket was ua stock so it isn't, at least in this case.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
No Lufthansa Advance Economy Seat Selection on United Ticket Stock

Interesting, that now you can select seats/pay for them on infra-EU flights. A year or so ago, this was not possible on LH, even if you wanted to pay.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Interesting, that now you can select seats/pay for them on infra-EU flights. A year or so ago, this was not possible on LH, even if you wanted to pay.
LH woke up and smelled the $$$.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:11 pm

I have a flight booked on UA stock -- UA flight connecting to LH. When I enter the LH confirmation number on LH's site and try to select seats, all the seats are shown as selected (which seems unlikely, since the flight is in December). So there's nothing to select (and I can't pay even if I wanted to).

Does anyone have recent experience in this situation? I'm going to call but wanted to check to see if anyone had insight into this before I do that.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have an upcoming UA trip that is on 016 stock that has 2 LH segments with one being a L fare and the other being a V fare. I was able to select seats on the LH website for both segments. I had to pay for my selection for the L fare but the V fare selection was free. I booked this trip about a month ago.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by naumank
I probably missed it but, if I check in on UA.com outside the 23 hr LH OLCI window, as my flight from SFO to MUC is on UA metal, would I be able to see the LH flight (MUC - BCN) seat map and select a seat ahead of everyone else?
I have the same question, my first flight is on UA metal and the second on LH metal. Will I be able to get seat assignment upon check-in (if it is outside the 23 hr LH flight window, but within the 24 hr UA window).
Old May 20, 2015, 2:37 pm

I called LH, and the agent saw the same thing I did -- all seats blocked and unable to make a selection. She wasn't sure why some codeshare flights were like this and why people are able to pre-book seats with others. Might try again as the flight gets closer -- it's a few hours and would be nice to not be near the lavs!

And since it might make a difference, this is on the outbound segment of the trip -- it's a UA flight connecting to an LH flight (with a UA flight number, but it's operated by LH).

If anyone else has any other tips or insight, it'd be helpful.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:51 pm

So, let me make sure I have this clear - if I book a UA economy saver award ticket with a TATL segment on LH, they won't let me select a seat even if I'm willing to pay?
Old May 29, 2015, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by t325
So, let me make sure I have this clear - if I book a UA economy saver award ticket with a TATL segment on LH, they won't let me select a seat even if I'm willing to pay?
If you book a discount economy fare on UA stock, you may not be able to buy a seat assignment.

An award ticket (fare class X) still gets advance seat assignment (where available).

Suggest you read the wiki.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Black, Hertz 5*
I'm traveling on 016 stock UA IAD to FRA, LH FRA to BCN with my family which includes two kids age 9 and 11 in Aug. I cannot get advanced seats, either via UA or LH, website or by phone, even if I'm willing to pay more. I'm concerned that at 24 hours there will no longer be 4 seats together (or maybe even 2 sets of 2). Does LH really expect my two kids to sit by themselves on the first trip to Europe? It seems that *G means nothing anymore. What good is *A?
Old May 31, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA Platnium, TK Elite Plus
So I'm traveling in a few days on: BOS-ORD-FRA-DUB on UA tickets. The over water and inside Europe flights are on LH. Will I be able to select LH seats at UA checkin (I doubt it)? If not how can I go about selecting the seats I want for the LH flights? Thanks.
Old May 31, 2015, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ddrum2000
So I'm traveling in a few days on: BOS-ORD-FRA-DUB on UA tickets. The over water and inside Europe flights are on LH. Will I be able to select LH seats at UA checkin (I doubt it)? If not how can I go about selecting the seats I want for the LH flights? Thanks.
No.

You can access your reservation on the LH site and I believe you can select your seats at T-24.

I find it interesting that LH will show your UA seats and apparently let you select UA seats on their site but UA can't do this for LH flights.
Old May 31, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Platnium, TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by TomMM
No.

You can access your reservation on the LH site and I believe you can select your seats at T-24.

I find it interesting that LH will show your UA seats and apparently let you select UA seats on their site but UA can't do this for LH flights.
Yes it is interesting that LH allows you to choose seats on UA but you don't have to pay to select seats on UA outside of the checkin window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.