Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection violated at Heathrow (Disaster waiting to happen)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Connection violated at Heathrow (Disaster waiting to happen)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Did I read somewhere that T2 was basically going to continue using the T1 remote gates? From the maps it looks like the two terminals are directly adjacent. So long as there's a connector, should be a very quick connection.
To be more precise, as long as there's an airside connector the OP should be fine.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
If it is a legal connection -- in other words, at or above the MCT -- and you misconnect, UA as the delivering carrier, will rebook you onwards.
UA is not the delivering carrier on MUC-LHR; LH is.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Heathrow is so slow

Since the OP is traveling in August they won't need to go over to T4, so a 60 second connection might conceivably work. The question is what do you do if it doesn't, and can you afford to get home a day late?

I have connected twice at Heathrow in the past few months - both T1 - T4 after not having done it in quite some years. On the second connection it really felt like everything was in suspended animation, from the jet-bridge operators to the bus from T1 to T4 not showing up and then making a ridiculous number of going round the round-abouts, to the security re-screen, to the re-issuance of the boarding passes from Swiss to UA 'card' stock, to then another ridiculously long walk to some horrific temporary shed-like Dulles Terminal C/D departure gate. I know Heathrow is one of those topics people 'love to hate' and there are major renovations ongoing, but WOW i was shocked at what a dump the place has become (admittedly not that we do much better here in NYC!) Thanks goodness UA is consolidating all operations in June - sounds like the new Terminal for Star Alliance will be quite nice.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
What class of service? If coach, and you have a day to spare after your scheduled arrival, I wouldn't do a thing.

If you miss the connection, you will be reaccommodated and put up for the night.

But I imagine you'll be fine on the connection.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by adambrau
Since the OP is traveling in August they won't need to go over to T4, so a 60 second connection might conceivably work.
A 60 second connection might be a little tight

It has occurred to me that OP may not understand that the way to search for a better connection BUD-LHR is to search for BUD-LHR. Not BUD-EWR.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: BA GLD
Originally Posted by pfieldston
How do you know 60 minutes will be OK for a T1/2 transfer -- has an MCT been published already? That detail is (understandably) not yet showing on Heathrow's connection guides...
They are published in Sabre, and it's 1 hour T1-T2:

**-** II 1.00 TRM 1 - 2
**-** II 1.00 TRM 2 - 2
**-** II 1.15 TRM 3 - 2
**-** II 1.30 TRM 4 - 2
**-** II 1.30 TRM 5 - 2

And if I put in a 1 hour connection in July, it shows 1 hour is legal (not necessarily sensible, but "legal":

FLIGHT DATE SEGMENT DPTR ARVL MLS EQP ELPD MILES SMD
1 LH 924 1JUL FRA LHR 700A 740A S 32A 1.40 390 N
DEP-TERMINAL 1 ARR-TERMINAL 1
2 UA 923 1JUL LHR EWR 840A 1135A L 763 7.55 3463 N
DEP-TERMINAL 2 ARR-TERMINAL C

MINIMUM CONNECT TIME EDIT VALID FOR ALL CONNECTIONS
Old May 13, 2014, 10:29 am

Hi there,

pretty much the same concerns here, as I'm booked CGN-LHR-SFO-HNL in August (on one ticket) with the first leg being operated by 4U and the remainder of the fligh, which won't move over from T1 to T2 until October with a 85 connection time. Being less worried about the legality of my connection than actually catching the onward flight, I was wondering if there is an airside connection between T1 and T2 and finally ended up in this thread.

I had looked up the terminal maps before, but after Kacee's and boolean64's posts, I looked again and voilà: If you look at the interactive map of T2 (which is not directly accessible, but only by clicking on T1 or another terminal map), it seems that there really is an airside connection between the T2 main building and T1 somewhere around B37. Now even though I felt quite comfortable with this, I still had some doubts. That's when I looked up the pdf maps of the terminals - When you look at the T2 pdf map, you'll just see that there is some kind of connection to T1. However, if you look at the bottom of page 3 of the T1 pdf map, you'll see that there is reference to gates B28 to B49, the latter being in T2 if I'm not mistaken.

So I think there is a high probability that there really is an airside connection between T1 and T2 - However, I'm not familiar with LHR at all.
Maybe this helps.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Loconda
Hi there,

So I think there is a high probability that there really is an airside connection between T1 and T2 - However, I'm not familiar with LHR at all.
Maybe this helps.
No one is familiar with T2 as it's not yet open. Having said that, there is definitely a Flight Connections centre between all terminals airside and, as T1 and T2 are the same building, there will be no buses to take - it's just a walk.

As is usual in most airports, there is strict separation of arriving and departing passengers, so you would have to go through Flight Connections.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
No one is familiar with T2 as it's not yet open. Having said that, there is definitely a Flight Connections centre between all terminals airside and, as T1 and T2 are the same building, there will be no buses to take - it's just a walk.

As is usual in most airports, there is strict separation of arriving and departing passengers, so you would have to go through Flight Connections.
Unfortunately as it's LHR you will have to go through a pointless security check. Security at LHR has been especially slow recently with many bags needing to be rechecked. Even so, 20 minutes to deboard and walk to security, 20 minutes for security, and 20 minutes to get to your new flight should be doable. Don't dawdle.

If there's a drop of rain in London you may have to circle and and be 20 minutes late which will make it a challenge though.
Old May 13, 2014, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa
Yes, so if you want the nonstop, try to change it now before that happens.

The OP seems to be taking some responsibility for this. I wouldn't -- the computer is supposed to check MCTs and make sure they're valid, and not let you book something that's not valid. If it did, it's not the customer's fault, it's the person who programmed the computer (UA).

If you can convince an agent that the connection is not allowed, maybe they'll open space on MUC-EWR nonstop for you.

CO's crappy systems and processes can work to your advantage.
Care to clarify what "crappy system" gives an illegal connection here? I'd say it's a good system in this specific instance that catches the terminal change in August now, and applies the proper MCT. But my comments are based on the reality of the particular situation, not on past grievances.
Old May 14, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Rebook on TK nonstop from JFK!

But seriously, you will be transferring non-Schengen to non-Schengen so there is a reasonable chance you'll make the connection.
yeah... that didn't work. the transfer at ZRH, even though it was from D to A, only took a few minutes. it's too bad my inbound UA134 was 25 minutes delayed (thanks, newark) and they rebooked me on the next flight out... 4 hours later... back in terminal D. and the lounge is in A.

fun times.

ah well, if i have to be stuck anywhere, there's a lot worse i could end up in than the LX lounge here.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I called UA and they were unwilling to change my itinerary, explaining that the 1 hour connection at LHR "should be" sufficient. I was tired and didn't push it further, but now have a question:

In the event that I misconnect at LHR, what is United most likely to do (given that the 6pm flight is the last *A flight to EWR/JFK)? Would they put me up in a hotel and get me booked on the next UA flight out? Or would they not even pay for the hotel given that LH is the delivering carrier?

And finally, since I do have work the next day and would rather get home that night (not absolutely necessary though since I can work remotely) -- is there any chance they would consider booking me on one the ~5 BA or Virgin flights leaving later in the evening to EWR/JFK?
Old May 19, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In the event that I misconnect at LHR, what is United most likely to do (given that the 6pm flight is the last *A flight to EWR/JFK)? Would they put me up in a hotel and get me booked on the next UA flight out? Or would they not even pay for the hotel given that LH is the delivering carrier?

And finally, since I do have work the next day and would rather get home that night (not absolutely necessary though since I can work remotely) -- is there any chance they would consider booking me on one the ~5 BA or Virgin flights leaving later in the evening to EWR/JFK?
LH as the delivering carrier will be responsible for taking care of you in the event of a misconnect.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Ok, that makes sense that it would be LH's responsibility. My question still applies though - what do you think their approach would be given that there are no other *A flights that evening but BA/Virgin have another 5-6 flights?
Old May 19, 2014, 11:52 am

Ok, that makes sense that it would be LH's responsibility. My question still applies though - what do you think their approach would be given that there are no other *A flights that evening but BA/Virgin have another 5-6 flights?
No idea. You may get a more meaningful answer on the LH forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.