Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best * Alliance Hub to use miles, Sept 2014?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2014, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus

Needing to travel to Dresden in end of September to attend a friends wedding on 27-Sept.

Looking at United's website today, I can get to Frankfurt (MSP-ORD-FRA) in Business at the Saver amount, but there is no availability for several days after.

I am willing to fly in & out of any of the airports that might have better J awards, and then buy a separate ticket to DRS. Can anyone suggest any routings?

I need to be bright eyed for the 27th of Sept. I have 5-6 spare vacation days available to me for time off at work.

Does anyone have any magic site I could use to help find availability? [I have no status with United, just 110,000 miles]. Maybe this is not even enough any more for full J. But would be willing to fly J one way, Y the other way. Last resort will be Y in both directions.

MSP - XXX - XXX [FRA, MUC, ZRH, VIE, BRU ?]
Old May 4, 2014, 8:10 pm
Suspended

UA also flys from EWR into DUS,HAM,STR although on the 752. I would look into any place where its easy to catch a train LH also does DUS from some US citys. But it will cost more miles nowadays if you fly the long haul on anyone but UA.

Sometimes you need to back your way in eg I have a TLL flight upcoming and there was nothing out of EWR,LGA or JFK. Playing around I found a YUL-FRA on AC then found EWR-YYZ-YUL which is now EWR-YUL and then FRA-TLL Flying all Y theres no extra premium for other *A carriers. I say backup since I when I looked at EWR-TLL nothing came up , when I found the YUL-FRA-TLL I then checked only EWR-YUL and saw the connecting via YYZ, yet UA didnt show me a EWR-YYZ-YUL-FRA-TLL combo, I booked YUL-FRA-TLL and then had them add the EWR-YYZ-YUL and when EWR-YUL opened grabbed that

AC flys into MUC and FRA as well as ZRH.Or OS into VIE from IAD,EWR or JFK or YYZ Or LO into WAW from ORD,JFK or IAD got to call up for LO
Old May 4, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Fly in earlier (Thursday). Even if you're in business, that jet lag going that way is awful, and you will not enjoy the wedding. Cut short your vacation on the way back if need be. I've flown home from Europe on a Sunday and worked the next day.

Your other issue is not searching "from" a hub, insead of "to" a hub.

Try: 9/26 - IAH to FRA to DRS (all in Y) and then 9/29 DRS to FRA to YYZ to IAH (clearing customs in YYZ).
Old May 4, 2014, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by craz
UA also flys from EWR into DUS,HAM,STR although on the 752. I would look into any place where its easy to catch a train LH also does DUS from some US citys. But it will cost more miles nowadays if you fly the long haul on anyone but UA.

Sometimes you need to back your way in eg I have a TLL flight upcoming and there was nothing out of EWR,LGA or JFK. Playing around I found a YUL-FRA on AC then found EWR-YYZ-YUL which is now EWR-YUL and then FRA-TLL Flying all Y theres no extra premium for other *A carriers. I say backup since I when I looked at EWR-TLL nothing came up , when I found the YUL-FRA-TLL I then checked only EWR-YUL and saw the connecting via YYZ, yet UA didnt show me a EWR-YYZ-YUL-FRA-TLL combo, I booked YUL-FRA-TLL and then had them add the EWR-YYZ-YUL and when EWR-YUL opened grabbed that

AC flys into MUC and FRA as well as ZRH.Or OS into VIE from IAD,EWR or JFK or YYZ Or LO into WAW from ORD,JFK or IAD got to call up for LO
Good list...don't forget the SN options too
Old May 4, 2014, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
OS is actually best right now for TATL availability. It opens 90 days out.

Don't forget you can also fly into TXL and take the train. It's two hours to Dresden from Berlin Hbf.
Old May 4, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
You can try lifemiles.com in case UA is blocking anybody.

If you have enough miles, I see available at time of posting:

9/23
UA4535 - MSP-EWR (coach)
UA4247 - EWR-DTW (coach)
9/24
LH443 - DTW-FRA
9/25
LH206 - FRA-DRS
70,000 miles for this leg
If you want coach, same flights but switch FRA-DRS to LH210 or later flight, 30,000 miles in Y.

For your return I see available:
9/28 (all coach)
LH207 - DRS-FRA
LH74 - FRA-DUS
LH436 - DUS-ORD
UA5395 - ORD-STC, likely to be delayed or cancelled, in which you could likely move to MSP without penalty)
30,000 miles for this leg

If you want business:
9/28
LH207 - DRS-FRA
LH902 - FRA-LHR
AC865 - LHR-YUL
UA3644 - YUL-ORD
UA5395 - ORD-STC (coach)

EDIT: I see you posted how many miles you have. You would need 115,000 miles to fly on UA Business, and 140,000 to fly LH business, so you would have to fly Y at least one way.

Last edited by 1353513636; May 4, 2014 at 11:41 pm
Old May 5, 2014, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
OS is actually best right now for TATL availability. It opens 90 days out.
I'm also looking 330 days out right now, and there is also plenty of OS J space
Old May 5, 2014, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus
thanks, everyone for the comments.

I know I don't have enough miles to do both ways in Business, and I'm looking more for the route to Germany in Business and the route home in Y.

Originally Posted by 1353513636
You can try lifemiles.com in case UA is blocking anybody.

If you have enough miles, I see available at time of posting:

9/23
UA4535 - MSP-EWR (coach)
UA4247 - EWR-DTW (coach)
9/24
LH443 - DTW-FRA
9/25
LH206 - FRA-DRS
70,000 miles for this leg
If you want coach, same flights but switch FRA-DRS to LH210 or later flight, 30,000 miles in Y.

For your return I see available:
9/28 (all coach)
LH207 - DRS-FRA
LH74 - FRA-DUS
LH436 - DUS-ORD
UA5395 - ORD-STC, likely to be delayed or cancelled, in which you could likely move to MSP without penalty)
30,000 miles for this leg

If you want business:
9/28
LH207 - DRS-FRA
LH902 - FRA-LHR
AC865 - LHR-YUL
UA3644 - YUL-ORD
UA5395 - ORD-STC (coach)

EDIT: I see you posted how many miles you have. You would need 115,000 miles to fly on UA Business, and 140,000 to fly LH business, so you would have to fly Y at least one way.
<sigh> yeah, I'm prepared to fly economy one way. I'm hoping to hit Business on the route TO Germany and would be fine with Economy coming home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.