Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Surprising Lost-and-Found Call from United a Year After Incident

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum

This really shocked me yesterday. Back in February of 2013 I filed a lost article report. I thought I had switched jackets with the person next to me in BF. Turned out that I had grabbed my wife's jacket when I left and there was no lost article.

Yesterday I got a Call from United as they thought they had a match for my jacket.

Do they really keep looking for stuff for over a year?
Old May 2, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by drowelf
This really shocked me yesterday. Back in February of 2013 I filed a lost article report. I thought I had switched jackets with the person next to me in BF. Turned out that I had grabbed my wife's jacket when I left and there was no lost article.

Yesterday I got a Call from United as they thought they had a match for my jacket.

I lost a jacket in 2013. Maybe my call will come next!
Old May 2, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I left a very nice Cutter & Buck jacket in the overhead of a PMUA 737 after arriving late at night on a delayed flight at least ten years ago. I had only worn it once. I called the arrival airport the next day and they said no one had turned it in. Should I try again?
Old May 3, 2014, 4:44 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Me too...

In March 2013 I left a pair of Bose Noise Canceling Earphones on a flight from SRQ-ORD. I called UA and they told me that a set was turned in on that flight and was being held at ORD lost and found. When I went to UA-ORD lost and found they did a bunch of looking and strange looks and told me that no such item was found on that particular flight. Maybe it will turn up one day... NOT !
Old May 3, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Was HP frequent flyer in the days when they had "hubbed" CMH. Partner was CO. HP used CO ground crew at EWR. Flying via EWR en route to Europe, LHR, I think. Left brown 40R leather jacket; FAs in F had taken it to the closet and didn't return it. I forgot all about it, until I was on the TATL.

When I returned state side, I called HP and asked, "who would have handled it? CO or HP?" I was told the HP would have handled it. So after calling and writing HP, nothing could be found. Not surprising, really. Brown J. Crew in one of the most common sizes? I was betting someone's boyfriend was enjoying that jacket. I even followed up with CO at one point, but they couldn't find it.

About 18 months later, I happened to be flying to, rather than thru, IAH. As I went down to baggage claim, I spotted a huge CO lost and found. I asked the very friendly clerk if he would have the item there. He told me that all items left over x months (x=6, iirc) would be moved to an offsite storage facility, but gave me a number to call.

When I returned to CMH, I called the number, only option VM, left one, but wrote off the coat. No kidding, two weeks later a box appears at my office, with my brown leather jacket!!! The exact one. Amazing.

I take that brown leather jacket all over the world, and except for my wife and black Labrador, it might be my best travel friend!
Old May 3, 2014, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gpicur
I called UA and they told me that a set was turned in on that flight and was being held at ORD lost and found. When I went to UA-ORD lost and found they did a bunch of looking and strange looks and told me that no such item was found on that particular flight.
That's when the iten goes from being lost to being stolen. I would have filed a police report on the spot.
Old May 3, 2014, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by USHPNWDLUA
Was HP frequent flyer in the days when they had "hubbed" CMH. Partner was CO. HP used CO ground crew at EWR. Flying via EWR en route to Europe, LHR, I think. Left brown 40R leather jacket; FAs in F had taken it to the closet and didn't return it. I forgot all about it, until I was on the TATL.

When I returned state side, I called HP and asked, "who would have handled it? CO or HP?" I was told the HP would have handled it. So after calling and writing HP, nothing could be found. Not surprising, really. Brown J. Crew in one of the most common sizes? I was betting someone's boyfriend was enjoying that jacket. I even followed up with CO at one point, but they couldn't find it.

About 18 months later, I happened to be flying to, rather than thru, IAH. As I went down to baggage claim, I spotted a huge CO lost and found. I asked the very friendly clerk if he would have the item there. He told me that all items left over x months (x=6, iirc) would be moved to an offsite storage facility, but gave me a number to call.

When I returned to CMH, I called the number, only option VM, left one, but wrote off the coat. No kidding, two weeks later a box appears at my office, with my brown leather jacket!!! The exact one. Amazing.

I take that brown leather jacket all over the world, and except for my wife and black Labrador, it might be my best travel friend!
^^^
Old May 3, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1.4MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by drowelf

Wow! Now you have given me hope that maybe my reading glasses I left onboard in October 2013 will be found and I'll also get a call.

Anyway, congrats on getting your item back!
Old May 5, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Left an iPad on a DEN-IAH late February. Filed a missing report within an hour and setup "Find my iPad" to lock it the minute it connected to WiFi.

Stopped by lost and found, who never saw it. Needless to say, it's never shown up on GPS either. I'm not optimistic about getting it back.
Old May 5, 2014, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by teeceedee
Left an iPad on a DEN-IAH late February. Filed a missing report within an hour and setup "Find my iPad" to lock it the minute it connected to WiFi.

Stopped by lost and found, who never saw it. Needless to say, it's never shown up on GPS either. I'm not optimistic about getting it back.
Is there a way for the "finder" to turn off the ability to be found? Or once it finally connects to wi-fi, you'll see it?
Old May 5, 2014, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by aacharya
Is there a way for the "finder" to turn off the ability to be found? Or once it finally connects to wi-fi, you'll see it?
There's always a way.
Old May 5, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: UAL 1K 2MM
Pre Merger I left my Bose in the seat pocket. FA not only got them for me but UAL realized I was connecting and brought them to my connecting gate. The note from the FA was still in there and said "Please help get these back to her. She was a really pleasant guest"

Ah. The good ole days.
Old May 5, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plt, Marriott Gold, National Exec
Left an iPad in the seat back pocket on a flight back in December 2013. Filed a lost item report and they said that they had a pretty good recovery rate....what do you know....this week my iPad was delivered to my home!!!! Took 5 months but very happy to have it back. I do give them kudos....apparently they get about 200 ipads, 100 kindles, 75 smart phones and not to mention many other things left on the flights so you just never know. Thanks United!!!
Old May 5, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by aacharya
It depends on the version of iOS. Older versions will allow you to connect to PC and reset or restore. Do this, and it's wiped; the new "owner" can setup as new.

Newer iOS allows the same cable connect reset, but as long as the original owner established security on the device via iCloud, when the item is reset by the new "owner," the former owner's iCloud password must be entered before it can be reset anew.

But as Doc Savage noted, there's always a way....
Old May 5, 2014, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fryguy89
Left an iPad in the seat back pocket on a flight back in December 2013. Filed a lost item report and they said that they had a pretty good recovery rate....what do you know....this week my iPad was delivered to my home!!!! Took 5 months but very happy to have it back. I do give them kudos....apparently they get about 200 ipads, 100 kindles, 75 smart phones and not to mention many other things left on the flights so you just never know. Thanks United!!!
Out of curiosity, did they call you first, or just send it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.