Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Air China -Really a Part of the Star Alliance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air China -Really a Part of the Star Alliance?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Air China is a far better airline than UA.
Wow. I fail to see how anyone could think this is true. I am a harsh critic of UA and they have a lot answer for, but Air China makes UA look like a proper airline.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Muckus
Wow. I fail to see how anyone could think this is true. I am a harsh critic of UA and they have a lot answer for, but Air China makes UA look like a proper airline.
I flew CA on 3 flights back in December/January, and it did have 2 things going for it:
1. The food in Y was better than the UA food in Y
2. Plenty of overhead bin space, even after everyone boarded. CA customers don't try to take their entire luggage stash with them in the passenger cabin, unlike UA customers

They were on time for each flight, too!
Old May 2, 2014, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by warthog2837
I flew ORD-PVG-SZX and return last week. The connection between Shanghai and Shezhen was on Air China. As is sometimes the case with connections outside UA, seats to the connection are not assigned until check in, which is always a source of anxiety. But the situation regarding check in and baggage on a connection from/to UA is rally bad with Air China. On the outbound, after clearing immigration in PVG, I actually had to hand carry my luggage over to the Air China check in counter, even though it had been checked through to SZX at ORD. Then, on the return Air China would not interline the checked luggage, so I had to first check it to PVG, then claim it and recheck it to ORD at UA. If Air China is really part of the Star Alliance, it seems to operate fairly independently with little cooperation with UA.
In all fairness, PVG is the airport without any bag re-check areas. Like what others said, it was the same as entering to the US. If you are transiting through PEK, then on the way back to the US, they will tag your baggage all the way to the US.

Also, like others said, take the ORD-HKG and take a train, or even better yet, ORD-PEK-SZX. You travel less time by going the polar to PEK instead of PVG.

So your beef is really with China and/or intl dom transit procedures, no?

Air China is a far better airline than UA.
...Only if you know Mandarin and understand how things work in China. However, compared to NH/JL in NRT, CA is inferior in terms of services, hard product/soft product, and also the IRROPs handling. I always get my relatives on CA, but I have never been on CA before.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by cyanchan15
It is UA's issue tho I'm not 100% sure. If your onward flight is another Asian premium airline, say ANA, your bags will be checked through. Even with CX you can check through.
They're talking about a transfer in PEK and policies related to China...
Old May 3, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Had IRROPS with them, it was clumsy, but handled like any other airline would, and certainly better or at least the same that UA handles IRROPS for non-status people.

In the air, there is no comparison, they blow UA out of the water, especially in F and J. Even Y was pleasant enough.
I had IRROP with CA in Y, as *G on UA. Rebooked to F in CZ!
It was UA award ticket!
Old May 3, 2014, 3:49 am

Programs: United 1k
I have to say that transiting in PVG is a whole different ball game, I swore to myself, never to transit here again - even with one world flights, you still have to pick up your luggage, go re-check and go through immigration ....
Old May 3, 2014, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
...Only if you know Mandarin and understand how things work in China. However, compared to NH/JL in NRT, CA is inferior in terms of services, hard product/soft product, and also the IRROPs handling. I always get my relatives on CA, but I have never been on CA before.
I will take a regional flat bed (like BKK-PEK, A330/777 - CO style seats) over NH slopey seats anyday.

Originally Posted by Muckus
When was the last time you flew them?

Their F seat is a nice suite (like LX), their longhaul J seat is flat bed CO style, their service and food in those cabins, while certainly not SQ, is way above what UA serves up.

IRROPS handling is no worse than if you tried to get IRROPS handled with UA with no status.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by STS-134
I flew CA on 3 flights back in December/January, and it did have 2 things going for it:
1. The food in Y was better than the UA food in Y
2. Plenty of overhead bin space, even after everyone boarded. CA customers don't try to take their entire luggage stash with them in the passenger cabin, unlike UA customers

They were on time for each flight, too!
I find the best thing is you don't wait in line anywhere. You just go to the front of all those people in your way and bang your hand on the counter to get whatever you need.
Old May 4, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Touché

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I find the best thing is you don't wait in line anywhere. You just go to the front of all those people in your way and bang your hand on the counter to get whatever you need.
Touché - clearly you've had experience travelling in China. Folks have absolutely no understanding of the concept of queuing - very uncivilised. It's a pity, given the number of interesting places to visit.
Old May 4, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
I always get my relatives on CA, but I have never been on CA before.
You must really like your relatives!
Old May 4, 2014, 5:02 am

CA is pretty good about honouring all *A benefits, never had issues with them.

Then, I find it a joke that a United Elite won't be allowed into their own lounges while any other *G would be allowed in..

Or that Lufthansa decided that TK flights will suddenly only earn 25% status miles etc.

There are REALLY MUCH, MUCH WORSE examples of *A airlines giving a damn about the alliance than CA, where sometimes things run a bit different.. (but never actually bad. Forgot my Gold card some time ago, no problem to check my status up with CA and access lounge, while LH decided without the card, even with status printed on the BP, it's no access for you..)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.