FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How to attract premium travelers back to UA. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1571970-how-attract-premium-travelers-back-ua.html)

limey1K Apr 29, 2014 12:45 pm

For me as a domestic traveler (YTD 40K PQM, $10K PQD, 50 PQS), there are a few things that are making me less than satisfied:

The boarding process. In particular, the mass of people they've lumped into BG1. I want the UA boarding process back.

Regional jets being used on flights in excess of 2.5 hours

CPUs. My success rate is less than 30% YTD. 2013 was 58%. Pre-merger I was 80%. I flew a CRJ700 this week (yes, I know it only has 6 F seats) and there were 24 people on the UG list and ZERO people cleared into F. All 6 seats booked and checked-in full. I was on a U fare. I posted an example last week where there were 2 CPUs on a 739 with a full F cabin and 90 on the UG list. This is becoming more and more common IME.

belynch Apr 29, 2014 1:21 pm

This is simple:

1) Operate the planes on-time.
2) Operate the planes on-time.
3) Operate the planes on-time.

Until they can do this as well as everyone else, nothing else matters. I don't pay high fares for last minute travel to miss meetings. UA is a risk. When UAEx is involved it's a risk I've been much less likely to take this year.

4) Provide a basic level of customer service and hold agents accountable when they don't do this. The frustration level of fighting UA, every step of the way, to do what they've promised/contracted to do is maddening.
5) STOP over-promising and under-delivering (I'm looking at you, onboard wifi)
6) Provide a market competitive product.

hobo13 Apr 29, 2014 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by dcdavido (Post 22763031)
Jeff's upgrade policies really hit the "middle class" at UA. He's a lawyer (nothing wrong with lawyers) and a very smart guy, but got paid $10m and has never worked a ticket counter or probably even flown coach.

My dad got upgraded ahead of Jeff last fall. Jeff ended up in coach. So yes, he flew coach at least once....

Madone59 Apr 29, 2014 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by txp (Post 22761168)
Pricing for premium cabins should be consistent and predictable. Please have affordable, advance-booking P fares and please release upgrade and award saver inventory far out so that people can plan their trips accordingly.

That is exactly the point!!! They know people don't like "the upgrade lottery." They want you to pay not to play it. If people wouldn't pay the fares UA releases trust me...they would release awards and P fares all day - and it's not just route dependent.

Corporate travel and spending is still down from it's peak in the early 2000's. Far fewer people walk in and buy that last minute fare, they would rather video conference. Modern ticketing is set up to make your planning-in-advance factor in eating the price you see out of fear and past experience that the price will rise.

rzsionak Apr 29, 2014 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by GeneralVeers (Post 22780175)

3. Service - This is where UA (and AA and DL) can't really do much. Senior citizen flight attendants for some reason get these flights due to their seniority. Logically who should give better service on a 15-hour flight, a 30 year old FA or one who's 75? I'm sorry, but these old grannies sometimes just don't have the stamina to keep going for the required time. Unfortunately the unions and union rules make service/staff improvements nearly impossible.

U.S. airlines need to get #1 and #2 right. They then need to price their premium cabins lower than EK, SQ, or CX to reflect the fact that they know they can't compete on #3.

UA (and AA and DL) can compete on service so long as they working in a positive workplace environment. The issue at hand for UA is the workplace is not currently conducive to strong performance. That can be fixed, but it requires leadership from the top.

I've personally seen a number of UA flights where the FAs were mediocre, however on a recent Hawaii trip (LAX-HNL) in economy the service was some of the best I had seen on any airline for economy, and these were almost entirely "senior" FAs. They were extremely friendly and helpful to all the passengers, and they brought one beverage service after another (better than F service on some flights). I found out that the Hawaii crews were a small group that were largely apart from the rest of UA, but by being in a positive work environment that translated in to high quality service on the flight.

GeneralVeers Apr 29, 2014 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by rzsionak (Post 22782723)
UA (and AA and DL) can compete on service so long as they working in a positive workplace environment. The issue at hand for UA is the workplace is not currently conducive to strong performance. That can be fixed, but it requires leadership from the top.

I've personally seen a number of UA flights where the FAs were mediocre, however on a recent Hawaii trip (LAX-HNL) in economy the service was some of the best I had seen on any airline for economy, and these were almost entirely "senior" FAs. They were extremely friendly and helpful to all the passengers, and they brought one beverage service after another (better than F service on some flights). I found out that the Hawaii crews were a small group that were largely apart from the rest of UA, but by being in a positive work environment that translated in to high quality service on the flight.

Great. So some of the time I can get good service. If the FA is disgruntled, not-motivated, or just having a bad day, the service will be bad and there's nothing United can do about it, because they can't be fired due to union rules. The lack of unions abroad is why U.S. carriers can't consistently compete on service.

B787938 Apr 30, 2014 12:43 am

Originally Posted by GeneralVeers (Post 22783048)
Great. So some of the time I can get good service. If the FA is disgruntled, not-motivated, or just having a bad day, the service will be bad and there's nothing United can do about it, because they can't be fired due to union rules. The lack of unions abroad is why U.S. carriers can't consistently compete on service.

Are you freaking kidding me? Every EU airline is shockingly union - Lufthansa, British, etc.

Unions aren't a straw man to explain poor service. A hasty generalization for sure.

Asia's airlines aren't union...you are right. This explains why SQ can fire "girls" at 35 for being overly ripe.

GeneralVeers Apr 30, 2014 2:00 am

Originally Posted by B787938 (Post 22783979)
Are you freaking kidding me? Every EU airline is shockingly union - Lufthansa, British, etc.

Unions aren't a straw man to explain poor service. A hasty generalization for sure.

Asia's airlines aren't union...you are right. This explains why SQ can fire "girls" at 35 for being overly ripe.

I didn't mention LH. I am referring to EK, EY, CX, and SQ.

I thought LH First was highly mediocre.

Kacee Apr 30, 2014 2:10 am

Originally Posted by GeneralVeers (Post 22784161)
I didn't mention LH. I am referring to EK, EY, CX, and SQ.

I thought LH First was highly mediocre.

And I experienced indifferent service my last flight on CX J. This could have been an sCO crew the way they disappeared into the galley to chat after the meal service. If this had been my first or only CX flight I'd probably be calling CX "overrated" (or even "highly mediocre"). ;)

hjensen79 Apr 30, 2014 2:44 am

There are a couple of things that I did not see mentioned here.
1) Enough food choices so everyone can get their #1 choice, this is particularly a problem on domestic flights.
2) Can I have a pillow please? again domestic.

Personally I do not think the seats are too bad on the TATL/TPAC flights, the service is hit/miss but that is the same on all the US Carriers.

The consistency of the products offered and the consistency of how service is done is what bothers me the most. If you are in luck you get a happy crew with wifi (that works, I have not yet been that lucky) and a good food choice served at a decent pace. If you are unlucky you get a dark bird with a cranky crew that sits in the galley the whole flight.

FlightNurse Apr 30, 2014 7:47 am

Originally Posted by B787938 (Post 22783979)

I beleive that unions do some good, however, when the Unions just want to protect the employee and not hold that employee accountable for the lack of doing thier job correctly then there is a problem. We all have bad days, but when it is consistent problem, that needs to be fixed.

LaserSailor Apr 30, 2014 7:54 am

This is simple:

1) Operate the planes on-time.
2) Operate the planes on-time.
3) Operate the planes on-time.

Until they can do this as well as everyone else, nothing else matters.
Boarding order doesn't matter
Food choice doesn't matter
IFE doesn't matter
Wifi doesn't matter

Get rid of the 'HVF' who want this crap and let them go somewhere else. Ill pay a premium for "get me there on time and quickly"

lhrsfo Apr 30, 2014 7:55 am

Consistency and professionalism are the threads that really shine through here. Without those, business travellers will continue to leave UA. With consistency and professionalism, then it's merely a matter of tweaking the other products, depending on how much UA wants to give away.

UA-NYC Apr 30, 2014 7:57 am

Originally Posted by LaserSailor (Post 22785198)
Boarding order doesn't matter
Food choice doesn't matter
IFE doesn't matter
Wifi doesn't matter

Get rid of the 'HVF' who want this crap and let them go somewhere else. Ill pay a premium for "get me there on time and quickly"

If they went with your plan, the airline would be in even greater dire straits than it is currently :-:

FlightNurse Apr 30, 2014 8:12 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 22762753)
I think premium travelers are generally aware of competitors offerings and will usually choose the best offering all things being equal.

UA's business class seating, especially on PMUA planes, is a joke. They need to remove these sardine cans and go to 4 across, everyone has aisle access. This is becoming the industry standard now. They need to upgrade the entertainment to include more movies and tv shows on demand, they need to include music on demand as part of their entertainment offering. The food in C on UA is not bad and service is generally ok but a soup course should be added and menus should be nicer than what's currently offered.

They need to get rid of Global First. There is a finite market for paid F and UA can't compete. I'm not naïve enough to think Dom and caviar will ever come back to UA. Just can the FC and focus on making a great business class product.

The lounges are horrible. If I'm a premium pax flying transpacific C class and I walk into the SFO UC at noon I am disgusted. Every seat taken, dirty toilets, frat party quality drinks, and no food. I'd rather sit at an empty gate than a UC. They need to upgrade the food, fix the furnishings, pay for more cleaners and get rid of the cheap booze. The little things matter to people who have a choice of which carrier to fly in C.

They should cut upgrade space and reduce the number of C seats on most planes. To have a premium product there needs to be exclusivity. People who pay for C should sit in C and there should be a limited number of upgrades every flight. I've been on numerous flights on SQ, CX, OZ, even DL and AA where there are empty seats in C. This never has happened to me on UA because they cheapen the product by allowing so many upgrades. It may seem absurd that occasionally having empty seats is a good thing, but I think it is.

Focus on comfort and quality and premium travelers will return.

This is the biggest issue, you want better seats, and a nicer lounge, other want better seats and better service (along with better catering.) Who wins??

I think UA should keep GF and ditch BF, do a normal J and Y. Upgrade both GF and J as far as seats and service. Offer a resonable upgrade from J to GF on day of travel to get people to send the $$ to move up. The same thing from Y to J, get people to spend the money. Then the non rev;s can stay in Y or Y+. A reasonable fare to upgrade from J to GF say $750-500, and Y to J $500-250 depending on route.