FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How to attract premium travelers back to UA. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1571970-how-attract-premium-travelers-back-ua.html)

StingWest Apr 27, 2014 9:50 am

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 22768560)
I don't necessarily agree on the seat. First the PMUA seat is more comfortable and has more space than nearly any J seat on the market. What it lacks is privacy and ease of access. Different pax value different things.

I agree with this. The UA J seat is very comfortable, and if I get stuck in a "middle" seat once in a while, I'll be ok, thanks. The food has been decent over the last year or so. Regarding other airlines, the two main ones that I have available from SFO to LHR are BA and VS. I've flown them both in this period and the UA seat is equivalent to BA's and superior to VS's seat. The BA has a better arrangement for access, and better privacy for the window seats only (and the VS seats are all aisle) but it's not a huge deal for me, as I can step over someone without waking them if I have to on UA!

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 22768560)
Also there is a trade off between price and seat comfort/space. If that ever gets reflected in pricing, then maybe as consumers we will start to see better choices for J (and F).

I haven't yet flown AA's 77W in business and it looks very nice in every respect, but god help you if you get stuck in Y - it looks like 10 across! I guess this is part of the seat capacity trade-off we all endlessly discuss!

UA-NYC Apr 27, 2014 9:52 am

Originally Posted by StingWest (Post 22769075)
I haven't yet flown AA's 77W in business and it looks very nice in every respect, but god help you if you get stuck in Y - it's 10 across! I guess this is part of the seat capacity trade-off we all endlessly discuss!

Note that MCE (their E+) is 9 across...and there's not only more legroom but IIRC the seat is 1" or so wider. Still not amazing but I'm guessing most of their elites aren't in regular Y.

StingWest Apr 27, 2014 10:05 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 22769081)
Note that MCE (their E+) is 9 across...and there's not only more legroom but IIRC the seat is 1" or so wider. Still not amazing but I'm guessing most of their elites aren't in regular Y.

Yes, good point

escapefromphl Apr 27, 2014 10:49 am

Originally Posted by StingWest (Post 22769136)
Yes, good point

Yeah I was disappointed UA couldn't come up with a premium economy offering for the 789, having no option between $1500 economy and $8k-$10k business on a plane that flies 18 hours just doesn't seem wise. You just ceded the whole market segment to the competition.

weero Apr 27, 2014 10:58 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 22765717)
This is my point. If they take the effort to invest in a good C class offering they can attract paying biz class customers. If they do this they wouldn't need to offer upgrades in as much abundance as today. I know I'd personally switch back to UA in a heartbeat for my PVG-SFO routes if they offered a decent seat and friendly service. Alas, they do not.

Even if they had the billions to spare on such an enterprise, it would be an entirely vain effort. How would they compete? Fire the legions of grannies? Shake off the unions? Pay negative taxes at their fortress hub. Expelle the TSA and raid the airports to be able to install decent lounges?

The problems to compete with a CX or an SQ on that field are insurmountable.

Sure they could attract you and a few other patriots with a somewhat crappier product but that is likely a tiny customer base. Freebies, miles, and upgrades are likely a lot cheaper than any of the above ventures.

BE-58 Apr 27, 2014 2:31 pm

It's become very clear that the UA management team is executing a formula that just isn't working. Their Q1 earnings are proof - and I expect this trend to continue.

When I considered my options for going to India next week in C, I looked at UA, EK, and QR. Simply stated, I just couldn't justify spending the same money on UA to get what I know would be a lower-quality experience even though the flight times were better than the competition. I selected QR knowing that I will get great service, good food, and a flat seat. This is another $10K that won't go to United.

I've gone through the same evaluation on almost every trip this year and the only times I've selected United are when the schedule on a specific city-pair required it. Every other time I've selected the other carrier.

UA's product just isn't competitive and I see no vision to get it there. When you compare it to DL and AA (take a look at their 77W and revamped 772 product), you don't even need to go to the Middle Eastern or Asian carriers to see how big the gap has become.

As a loyal customer with nearly 3M flown miles, the only word that comes to mind is "disappointing". Alienating their best customers is how companies go out of business.

UA-NYC Apr 27, 2014 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by BE-58 (Post 22770218)
When I considered my options for going to India next week in C, I looked at UA, EK, and QR. Simply stated, I just couldn't justify spending the same money on UA to get what I know would be a lower-quality experience even though the flight times were better than the competition. I selected QR knowing that I will get great service, good food, and a flat seat. This is another $10K that won't go to United.

You made the right choice - QR C IMO is quite spectacular. I too avoided UA on my TATL in a couple weeks...they'll get some ATI $ out of my ticket but that's it.

I'm very willing to forfeit lifetime miles for a much better experience.

5khours Apr 27, 2014 2:40 pm

It's become very clear that the UA management team is executing a formula that just isn't working. Their Q1 earnings are proof - and I expect this trend to continue.

I've gone through the same evaluation on almost every trip this year and the only times I've selected United are when the schedule on a specific city-pair required it. Every other time I've selected the other carrier.

UA's product just isn't competitive and I see no vision to get it there. When you compare it to DL and AA (take a look at their 77W and revamped 772 product), you don't even need to go to the Middle Eastern or Asian carriers to see how big the gap has become.

As a loyal customer with nearly 3M flown miles, the only word that comes to mind is "disappointing". Alienating their best customers is how companies go out of business.

Agree. Up until a year or two ago, UA had very competitive F and J products, and service while not great was not too bad. Since then the competition has rolled out better hard product, while UA has given no indication of any intention to do so, and..... their service has deteriorated.

eflyte Apr 27, 2014 2:53 pm

Folks like to rag on the details of the seat, the technology, etc. Yes, there is catching up to do there, but IMHO they could do a lot to elevate customer experience above where it is w/ next to no $ investment. If they want to be 'flier friendly' then some simple training and improved service protocols in the premium cabins (hell, all around) would go a long way.

Take my flight ORD-BRU last night. 7:45 duration. Dinner service proceeded at a snails pace and it was 2:30 into the flight before they turned off the lights. Galley lights stayed on full blare throughout the flight. About 4 hours in one of the FAs spent a solid hour crushing every can on board in the C-cabin galley. Breakfast started, with cabin lights fired up to full, promptly 1:30 before landing. So I figure that if one really worked at it there was probably an opportunity for ~2:30 of interrupted sleep on the flight.

Focus on efficiency of service. Personal touches. Embolden the cabin crews to be responsive to nuances of each flight and adapt their service to the situation and customer needs. Yeah, I'd like not to have to hurdle my neighbor on the way to the loo, but turns out the seats are pretty comfortable and functional all in all and if they gave me the opportunity to enjoy the experience I probably would!

sogboulder Apr 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by boss315 (Post 22761405)
Take out the slimline seats in Y

^^^^^

sogboulder Apr 27, 2014 3:29 pm

Maybe this is one of these cases where the grass is greener, but last summer I was in Australia and took a number of domestic flights on QF, all in business, courtesy of AA miles. The difference between QF's domestic premium product and UA's domestic premium product is like day and night.
I recently flew Quantas domestic in *coach* and was pretty much blown away. It was a really short flight (MEL -> CBR, a mere 247 miles). Due to Melbourne rush-hour traffic, we arrived at the airport 30 minutes before departure. I was concerned because I has to check a bag, but the extremely pleasant and efficient check-in agent assured me there were "no worries". Got through security in no time flat and made it to the gate before boarding started (20 min prior to departure).

The plane was a 737-800, not some sort of barbie jet, with the most comfortable coach class seat I can ever recall (well padded, with actual lumbar support). Good pitch and really generous recline, too. I'd have been content to fly TPAC in that seat.

Full service (on a 1 hour flight), with complimentary beer, wine, and *food* (a sandwich) in coach - all delivered with a smile. I assume, had we taken a somewhat earlier flight (ours was 7:30-ish), there might have been a full meal (but I don't know that for a fact). When we got to CBR and went to baggage claim, our bags were already there waiting for us.

Just the best coach class experience I've ever had. I have no idea what it was like up front (but the seats looked great).

It makes the third-class, third-world experience on UA (even in "First") particularly grating.

txp Apr 27, 2014 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by sogboulder (Post 22770456)
I recently flew Quantas domestic in *coach* and was pretty much blown away. It was a really short flight (MEL -> CBR, a mere 247 miles). Due to Melbourne rush-hour traffic, we arrived at the airport 30 minutes before departure. I was concerned because I has to check a bag, but the extremely pleasant and efficient check-in agent assured me there were "no worries". Got through security in no time flat and made it to the gate before boarding started (20 min prior to departure).

The plane was a 737-800, not some sort of barbie jet, with the most comfortable coach class seat I can ever recall (well padded, with actual lumbar support). Good pitch and really generous recline, too. I'd have been content to fly TPAC in that seat.

Full service (on a 1 hour flight), with complimentary beer, wine, and *food* (a sandwich) in coach - all delivered with a smile. I assume, had we taken a somewhat earlier flight (ours was 7:30-ish), there might have been a full meal (but I don't know that for a fact). When we got to CBR and went to baggage claim, our bags were already there waiting for us.

Just the best coach class experience I've ever had. I have no idea what it was like up front (but the seats looked great).

It makes the third-class, third-world experience on UA (even in "First") particularly grating.

Thanks for sharing; I am not surprised.

We all need to encourage Mr. Smisek to spend some time in Australia and travel domestically on QF (incognito) in all classes of service to see what's like. He should then repeat the experience on UA and, if he is intellectually honest, he will be shocked by the difference.

UA-NYC Apr 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by txp (Post 22770586)
Thanks for sharing; I am not surprised.

We all need to encourage Mr. Smisek to spend some time in Australia and travel domestically on QF (incognito) in all classes of service to see what's like. He should then repeat the experience on UA and, if he is intellectually honest, he will be shocked by the difference.

Doesn't have to go that far - just hop on any AA or DL flight to get most of the same knowledge (save for the seat) :-:

durward1 Apr 27, 2014 9:57 pm

I think it's very unwise to chose any but a non-stop flight from the US to India. The potential complications of being stuck at a Middle East airport in the event of a mis-connect is a travel experience I never want. Having flown the United 777-200 flights to and from India last year I thought the food and service in BF were just superb.

#10 Apr 27, 2014 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by sogboulder (Post 22770456)

Perhaps, not the best airline to model:

Originally Posted by smh
Qantas is not only the red kangaroo, it's also in the ''red pain zone'', according to Fitch Ratings.

The besieged airline is the only Australian company that the credit ratings agency has placed in the category, which is for businesses with rapid cash-flow decline and rising net debt.

In contrast Fitch is expecting most companies to limit their debt growth this year and strengthen earnings.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviat...#ixzz309YnLBK9