FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   How to attract premium travelers back to UA. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1571970-how-attract-premium-travelers-back-ua.html)

kb1992 May 2, 2014 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by GeneralVeers (Post 22800956)
How about at least free drink/snack when you're in economy like AA? Seriously, it's a tiny amount of cost and it does a lot to build good will.

Nope. The goal is to save $2b.

Every dollar counts.

seacarl May 2, 2014 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer (Post 22795292)
I have misconnected domestically (UA/UAX's fault) on an int'l itinerary and waited at my new gate for the GAs to show up and start working the flight. Let's say 90 mins prior to departure. Still am told that I am wait listed for F, in spite of having paid ~$10k for Z/D/C. It's absurd. **Especially if they have seats that they are holding for buy-up - I've already bought up!!!**

If you are on paid Z/D/C fare and you have IRROPS, you would be confirmed into any available F seat. There won't be any held for buy-up, you would be ahead of that.

mike1968 May 2, 2014 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by bob_the_d (Post 22793330)
operations.

operations, operations, oh so much operations.

waiting for my flight right now, EWR-ORD-CVG. i've flown EWR-CVG on the expressjet E45 enough times throughout the last 6 years to know that it's never, ever on time. so i have to go there for work, so i routed EWR-ORD-CVG. originally had a 1:03 layover, but just got a flight delay notice and now my connection time is 33 minutes.

i'm on an M fare so i upped to F on both legs, which is fine, and i could go on all day about the cheapening of the F product until i'm blue in the face. but absolutely none of that matters to me if it delays so much i miss my connection and my meeting. and i'm thinking in the last few months of the sheer number of times i've had to connect and the incoming leg is delayed leaving me minutes to connect. a couple i can think of recently was MSN-ORD-LGA, and i had to sprint from F->B in 12 minutes. i also went MSY-IAD-BOS in 14 minutes, and i remember this one clearly because i landed at D29 and had to sprint to C1, quite possible the two furthest gates they could have come up with, and it was at like 9:30PM on a sunday. i made both, but they are miserable experiences.

the cashews, limes, salads, all those things are valid, but to me they're kind of moot if the scheduling and operations aren't fixed first.

Fitness friendly;)

Fly united, no pain no gain...our connecting terminals are now your gym, so pack your running shoes!

mike1968 May 2, 2014 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer (Post 22795292)
I have misconnected domestically (UA/UAX's fault) on an int'l itinerary and waited at my new gate for the GAs to show up and start working the flight. Let's say 90 mins prior to departure. Still am told that I am wait listed for F, in spite of having paid ~$10k for Z/D/C. It's absurd. **Especially if they have seats that they are holding for buy-up - I've already bought up!!!**

Oh, and the folks working the club telling me there's nothing they can do and I should go to the gate to plead my case. Also absurd.

Oh, and intentionally building in six-plus hours total of layovers into my itinerary to ensure that I ultimately, somehow arrive on time to connect with my transoceanic segment. Crazy absurd.

What do you expect from People Express trained management and employees at CO. Fundamental problem with UDU and buy ups...drive the actual paid premium traffic, which CO did not have, to your competition...especially when you see the gate screen showing 10 upgrades cleared in a cabin that seats 12 and they are telling you only thing left is e- middle and you should be happy they even let you on the plane.

Cargojon May 2, 2014 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 22761257)
So, all that will suit you will it ? Or were you thinking of the general populace? I can safely say that I would say no to 1,2,3,4. I think your points all seem to have an element of me, me, me. Which is fine but don't expect people to agree with them.

This is the first thing I thought of too.

Air Houston May 2, 2014 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by mike1968 (Post 22801520)
What do you expect from People Express trained management and employees at CO. Fundamental problem with UDU and buy ups...drive the actual paid premium traffic, which CO did not have, to your competition...especially when you see the gate screen showing 10 upgrades cleared in a cabin that seats 12 and they are telling you only thing left is e- middle and you should be happy they even let you on the plane.

CO had plenty of paid premium traffic on its BusinessFirst long haul international flights. They did not offer SWU's until just before the merger and using miles to ugrade was very difficult on many international routes.

And they also did a much better job of directing us hub-captives onto $1500 three-four hour domestic flights in B or Y because they didn't sell lower fares for one or two night itineraries to lots of non-stop destinations (from IAH). Now many of those same flights are available in P for $900. At times I appreciate that but I am not sure of the reason for the strategy.

Note to UA revenue management: you will make more money selling a seat for $1500 than selling the same seat for $900.

Kacee May 3, 2014 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Air Houston (Post 22801674)
CO had plenty of paid premium traffic on its BusinessFirst long haul international flights. They did not offer SWU's until just before the merger and using miles to ugrade was very difficult on many international routes.

And they also did a much better job of directing us hub-captives onto $1500 three-four hour domestic flights in B or Y because they didn't sell lower fares for one or two night itineraries to lots of non-stop destinations (from IAH). Now many of those same flights are available in P for $900. At times I appreciate that but I am not sure of the reason for the strategy.

pmCO's fare structure to latin america was much cheaper than anything pmUA offered. I started flying CO in approx. 2008 when I discovered $850 front cabin fares from SFO-PTY via IAH.

My CO flying expanded when I discovered they were putting the international 752s on SFO-EWR, and that you could get a RT front cabin fare on that route for around $1200 (when ps cost about twice that).

This same discount premium cabin fare structure, via the P fare, is now slowly being adopted by UA everywhere except the long-haul international routes. (And it has even made an appearance there with the amazing $1400 TATL P fares.)

Note to UA revenue management: you will make more money selling a seat for $1500 than selling the same seat for $900.
Actually, you won't make any money selling fares at prices that people own't buy, such as $3000 SFO-HNL, which is what UA long charged on that route for a domestic F seat. That has recently begun to change, and it's good to see some level of sanity in the premium cabin pricing.

UA-NYC May 3, 2014 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Air Houston (Post 22801674)

This is how PMUA seemed to operate...never saw cheap F fares (or at least they weren't advertised), and that left more room for UGs.

(To be fair, you do see a lot of these cheaper fares across carriers...but then again AA flyers seem to maintain better UG rates...)

CCIE_Flyer May 3, 2014 11:02 am

Originally Posted by seacarl (Post 22801465)
If you are on paid Z/D/C fare and you have IRROPS, you would be confirmed into any available F seat. There won't be any held for buy-up, you would be ahead of that.

One would certainly think, no? I have faced this very scenario within the past year and, although it was UA that got me to DEN late ex-COS, I was confirmed into Y on the next available flight and placed on the "upgrade" list. The GA kept an eye on me and ultimately brought me a BP for F after I'd already been seated in Y. Very, very grateful for him but it never should have been so. My recollection is that particular ticket was around $11k, so I'm thinking not Z, but likely a mix of C/D. Insanity. Pure insanity.

channa May 3, 2014 11:35 am

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer (Post 22803706)
One would certainly think, no? I have faced this very scenario within the past year and, although it was UA that got me to DEN late ex-COS, I was confirmed into Y on the next available flight and placed on the "upgrade" list. The GA kept an eye on me and ultimately brought me a BP for F after I'd already been seated in Y. Very, very grateful for him but it never should have been so. My recollection is that particular ticket was around $11k, so I'm thinking not Z, but likely a mix of C/D. Insanity. Pure insanity.

If the flight is F1, they should book you in F, period. If they tell you there's no F, then ask for a carrier with F. That should compel them to do it.

manstein58 Jun 4, 2014 12:47 pm

http://news.delta.com/2014-06-04-Del...co-and-Seattle

Maybe this is a way to start??

halls120 Jun 4, 2014 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by manstein58 (Post 22978178)

improving the product costs $$, and that isn't the direction this airline is going.

BearX220 Jun 4, 2014 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 22978234)
improving the product costs $$, and that isn't the direction this airline is going.

Reliability trumps everything else. Most of my friends who have stopped booking UA do it not owing to lack of limes, or TODs, but because you can't count on your flight even operating or your connection working. When you go to the airport to fly UA today you have no idea what's about to happen to you. Fix that, explicitly and visibly, and it'd be a start.

I know Jeff isn't about to give out free frozen yogurt bars. But beating DL's OT and daily completion numbers would at least give him a talking point, of which he has none right now.

dcdavido Jun 6, 2014 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl (Post 22801465)

Happens all the time. My wife (GS) and I (1K) were on a paid FC ("P" fare) from Washington to Vancouver. 757 was delayed six hours due to a mechanical. Had to call GS customer service (they used to call us with alternative seats already blocked, but that was the old United) and was told that they could re-route us to get us there that night, but in coach. OK, what would we get for taking a coach seat instead of first. We were told (and I quote): "The difference between a full fare coach fare and your discounted first fare is substantial, but we won't charge you the difference." Seriously. That really happened.

It gets worse. So the "coach" flight was leaving in 45 minutes. Screw it. We'll stick with our original flight and deal with being stuck in ORD (in theory we'd get hotel since it was mechanical). Go to the bar, and for fun check out the upgrade list. On the "coach" flight there was two open seats and one person on the upgrade list. Really? Even if they couldn't move us into FC seats because they were "F" fare seats and not "P" fare seats, they could have advised us that we would be #1 and #2 on the upgrade list with two seats available, and would likely clear. But no - the flight was too close to take off to change. And then we look at our flight. They gave our seats away in FC and left us without seat assignments. 22 upgraded people (and us) to make 24. Fortunately, the last two unassigned seats were together in the last row. Of course, when they took meal orders we had no choice.

Get to ORD and the customer service rep didn't have us on the list for hotel rooms. Gets us at the La Quinta Inn. End up waiting for the last buses to the hotels and end up standing next to the crew (going to the full service Marriott). I have no problem that the crew goes to the Marriott, but really? La Quinta? Turns out the next day we're on a UA Express RJ from ORD to Vancouver. Needless to say, I don't fly UA whenever I can help it.

FlightNurse Jun 7, 2014 5:39 am

Originally Posted by dcdavido (Post 22991471)
Happens all the time. My wife (GS) and I (1K) were on a paid FC ("P" fare) from Washington to Vancouver. 757 was delayed six hours due to a mechanical. Had to call GS customer service (they used to call us with alternative seats already blocked, but that was the old United) and was told that they could re-route us to get us there that night, but in coach. OK, what would we get for taking a coach seat instead of first. We were told (and I quote): "The difference between a full fare coach fare and your discounted first fare is substantial, but we won't charge you the difference." Seriously. That really happened.

It gets worse. So the "coach" flight was leaving in 45 minutes. Screw it. We'll stick with our original flight and deal with being stuck in ORD (in theory we'd get hotel since it was mechanical). Go to the bar, and for fun check out the upgrade list. On the "coach" flight there was two open seats and one person on the upgrade list. Really? Even if they couldn't move us into FC seats because they were "F" fare seats and not "P" fare seats, they could have advised us that we would be #1 and #2 on the upgrade list with two seats available, and would likely clear. But no - the flight was too close to take off to change. And then we look at our flight. They gave our seats away in FC and left us without seat assignments. 22 upgraded people (and us) to make 24. Fortunately, the last two unassigned seats were together in the last row. Of course, when they took meal orders we had no choice.

Get to ORD and the customer service rep didn't have us on the list for hotel rooms. Gets us at the La Quinta Inn. End up waiting for the last buses to the hotels and end up standing next to the crew (going to the full service Marriott). I have no problem that the crew goes to the Marriott, but really? La Quinta? Turns out the next day we're on a UA Express RJ from ORD to Vancouver. Needless to say, I don't fly UA whenever I can help it.

Not to be rude, but what are you expecting from an airlines that doesn't care! I am grateful that I not a slave to UA...