Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What percentage of silvers do you think won't make silver with PQD requirement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What percentage of silvers do you think won't make silver with PQD requirement

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by PVDProf
low-value 1Ks who are crowding out the high-value 1Ks for the little bit of upgrade space there is. I suspect there will be many fewer 1Ks, and their upgrade rates will be pretty good, so there's won't be a contingent saying, "I'm one of your most valuable customers and I can't ever get an upgrade!".
How many 1Ks systemwide are there that do not have $10k spend behind them?

Almost always, to be 1K, one has to be flying for work, and this comes with >10cpm fares in most cases, no?

"Normal" people very rarely fly over 100,000 miles in a year, especially on one airline. How many of those 'not for work' 1Ks are there? A couple thousand? and I think thats being generous. And how many of those will not have <10cpm spend - what are we looking at here - a reduction of a couple thousand 1K, how is that going to impact upgrades, when UA is handing out GS like candy to attract corporate contracts?

Now, it is very possible for a "normal" person to fly 25,000 miles, and not spend $2500. There were numbers published somewhere and there were 10x more Silvers than 1Ks
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i have flown 22K PQMs and spent under $500 PQD doing it. so, at least one is the answer to OP's question.
+1...It was usually pretty easy to find 2-3cpm runs on UA metal from PDX...just last year we had the 2cpm PDX-DTW fares and earlier that year the 3cpm PDX-WAS fares....I always felt like a "big spender" if I even considered buying a UA ticket above 4cpm Before the PQD announcement, I was thinking it would be nice to try to go for Gold for around $1500 in spending (which would work if you keep it at 3cpm x 50,000) and then the big "announcement" last June about PQD stopped those plans.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LHCVG
Here's my question about that: presumably there will be indeed be a number of folks who fall into that category (not large, but a decent handful). Do you think UA will be willing to offer them a deal for status if they meet the PQM metric but not PQD spend, like in this example?

I'm not weighing in morally, just wondering aloud how they will handle that when people cross the threshold on BIS terms (either miles or segments), but somehow miss the PQD value by a few bucks (emphasis on the few bucks -- I'm not talking about some miracle mileage run that got you 25k miles for say $1,500).
I think that this is the way that UAL is going to go, at least for this year. Those that have made the PQM but not the PQD spend, will be offered a buy up. It may be offered sometime in late November but I am sure that they will hold out until late December. UAL would be foolish to pass up the ancillary cash cow this would be for them.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by LHCVG
I'm not weighing in morally, just wondering aloud how they will handle that when people cross the threshold on BIS terms (either miles or segments), but somehow miss the PQD value by a few bucks (emphasis on the few bucks -- I'm not talking about some miracle mileage run that got you 25k miles for say $1,500).
I think you just helped UA out with another way to grab a few bucks from elites @:-) or 'near-elites' who really love that status! But seriously, you are right - if they dangle the level of status that they almost achieved with a few dollars, i'm sure some folks would at least buy it...AA has been doing that with me for a few months now!

Originally Posted by teeceedee
I can see how this is a problem for those flying internationally - for all my domestic flying, i'm currently at 41150 EQM and $6985 PQD, so I don't anticipate PQD being an issue at all.
Right - this largely affects either the International flying crowd (obviously based in the US) or some ultra-cheap domestic MRs, but they largely know about PQD by now!

Originally Posted by drewguy
Solution - get your wife a card and start spending on it.
That is A solution, but one that I definitely will not be doing. UA already gets enough of my money and come 1K (and it's SWUs) winding down, there goes my flights with UA - there is no reason to *want* to fly them anymore. She'll get Silver, if that (and I hope she DOESN'T, because if she did, it would mean I gave UA more than $2,5k in BASE FARES!), and that would be plenty good enough.

Originally Posted by PVDProf
I'm curious how this will play out for Plats like me (I have the cc waiver, but might be close on PQDs): Will I get overwhelmed by droves of fallen low-value 1Ks, or will enough low-value Plats fall away that even my upgrade rate could benefit?
If you are a 'normal' (as in W/V/Q/H,etc) fare flying Plat, the change won't affect you at all. However, for folks like me (N or G flying ONLY) it WILL affect my upgrade chances, since i'll be behind all the other Plats who purchase expensive fares instead of my cheapskates, whereas before i'd clear before all the Plats on Q/H/M fares...

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
+1...It was usually pretty easy to find 2-3cpm runs on UA metal from PDX...just last year we had the 2cpm PDX-DTW fares and earlier that year the 3cpm PDX-WAS fares....I always felt like a "big spender" if I even considered buying a UA ticket above 4cpm Before the PQD announcement, I was thinking it would be nice to try to go for Gold for around $1500 in spending (which would work if you keep it at 3cpm x 50,000) and then the big "announcement" last June about PQD stopped those plans.
Cheers to you - you are smart! I'm doing the same, but with a slightly different strategy - get 75k EQMs as fast as possible on airlines NOT named UA and learn a lot about MS and spend US$25k on a card. Enjoy platinum status for the year while seeing where the airlines and their FFPs fall over the coming year :-) Then blow all the RDM (from MS of course) on Premium *A flights booked right before the deadline or on flights that have actually lowered with the new chart!

By the way - I too enjoyed those WAS-PDX fares and wish there were more of them floating around (even to NYC/ZFV/PHL, i'd love it), I took 4 WAS-PDX flights last year and some more NYC/ZFV flights to PDX to get a ton of miles...

I'm running low on salami, cheese, donuts (all gone) and especially beer from the great state of Oregon

-jeremy
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus cattle, DL SkyPesos peon, HHonors Blue
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
I think that this is the way that UAL is going to go, at least for this year. Those that have made the PQM but not the PQD spend, will be offered a buy up. It may be offered sometime in late November but I am sure that they will hold out until late December. UAL would be foolish to pass up the ancillary cash cow this would be for them.
That's how I see it going as well, simply because I don't think even SMI/J is dumb enough to think that going to a $2,200 PQD spender and saying "sorry, you didn't spend $300 more, so no status for you" is going to work. Heck, the buy-up offer would be simplicity itself -- just offer them instant status for the remainder of their PQD requirement (obviously the crafty would then buy a quick MR ticket for as close to that as they could get and just get some extra BIS credit along the way).

But yeah in short I see this as more of a threat/cudgel than a truly iron-clad policy they hold fliers to the letter on.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:22 pm

I am a regular domestic flyer (not international and not a mileage runner) and I won't come close to the PQD requirement. So far, a little over 10,000 PQM and less than $700 PQD (all K fares, I think). Will definitely have to spend the $25K to keep my silver. Might be worth it, because I have a 50% upgrade rate on the route I usually fly. And the CC spend will get me 35,000 RDM.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
I am a regular domestic flyer (not international and not a mileage runner) and I won't come close to the PQD requirement. So far, a little over 10,000 PQM and less than $700 PQD (all K fares, I think). Will definitely have to spend the $25K to keep my silver. Might be worth it, because I have a 50% upgrade rate on the route I usually fly. And the CC spend will get me 35,000 RDM.
What routes are you flying that you are silver and getting 50% upgrades? ... I fly 35-40k miles/year and have only been upgraded ONCE on a UA Express 50 minute flight ... in 4 years of silver with UA ... silver on DL, I used to get 30% upgrades
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
the 25K on the credit card doesn't really help since that is PER PERSON
I thought only the primary card holder counted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.