Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does United ever offer I inventory IAH-EZE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis

I've looked at most days through the end of schedule, and I haven't found a single instance of United offering Business Saver inventory on this flight (and even Coach Saver is pretty rare). Does it ever open up? Are there some tricks I'm missing? Maybe booking suboptimally and hoping for a schedule change? There are so few non-Copa options in either direction. The best option I've been able to find includes a 9-hour layover in GRU.

I know a lot about revenue flying on United, but we haven't really had much opportunity for award tickets, so I don't know the best ways to manipulate them. But now that we've given up our quest for status, it's time to burn some miles.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Global Services
I have enjoyed reading your posts over the years, and I am excited to have an opportunity to share my experiences on the issue you have raised.

I have traveled to Buenos Aires 13 times over the past 10 years and 11 of them have been on Mileage Plus Saver Awards in Business Class. As you may be aware, in May 2013, United pared down its service to this destination to only one departure per day.

When the company was operating two flights per day, I was able to find Saver Business Class awards at two windows of time prior to departure. The first window of availability would appear 6-7 months prior to departure, while the second window of availability would appear 48-72 hours prior to departure.

With the decrease in frequency, I have been unable to find availability during those previous windows of time. On rare occasions, I can find Saver Awards in Business Class on Air Canada. But you may already know that AC's service from YYZ to EZE requires a 1 hr 10 minute halt in SCL, thus making travel on this carrier less appealing.

After flying to deep South America on 33 occasions over a period of 23 years, I've become resigned to the situation that UA has conceded this continent to AA.

koppelman
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA GS MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold
Very rarely have I seen it available. I fly that route 6-8 times a year, and Business is always packed. Actually I can only think of 1 instance where I have seen it, after searching numerous times to try and bring the significant other along for a trip.

Certain times of the year, if you don't book 3 months out, you are SOL for a United C class fare. I have had to fly Copa (Recliners, Stop in Panama, and a 4 hr Layover on the way back) or American via Miami/DFW. So little chance they are releasing them to awards.

Why United only has one flight servicing EZE, and American can support 1 to DFW, 1 to JFK and 2 to MIA is beyond me. Only conclusion I have come to is there isn't enough Economy demand to fill a second plane to IAH, and the future demand appears to be questionable
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by koppelman
AC's service from YYZ to EZE requires a 1 hr 10 minute halt in SCL, thus making travel on this carrier less appealing.
Even that would be better than what we currently have (ORD-GRU on UA, 9 hour layover, GRU-EZE on TK).

Originally Posted by koppelman
I've become resigned to the situation that UA has conceded this continent to AA.
If AA would fly their flat-bed product to EZE, I would consider it, but even AA apparently doesn't feel EZE warrants a high-quality product.

Originally Posted by dashboard347
Certain times of the year, if you don't book 3 months out, you are SOL for a United C class fare.
I'm actually starting 11 months out and checking twice a day at least.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Even that would be better than what we currently have (ORD-GRU on UA, 9 hour layover, GRU-EZE on TK).
Plus the AC product is better than UA anyway.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:40 pm

I'm actually starting 11 months out and checking twice a day at least.[/QUOTE]

Understand you are exploring a longer horizon, but I think you are missing my point.

The bean counters at United would much rather not release Saver Reward Inventory ($0 in revenue) 11 Months out, when they can easily see there is high demand for Business/First Revenue passengers on this route such that they are turning away (on multiple instances for me) $8k+ in Revenue for a C Class ticket 1-3 Months out.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
keep an eye on J fares from JFK-EZE on AA. i know it's an angled lie flat product but the route regularly goes below $2K round trip and earlier this month it was under $1600. you could do YVR-SFO-JFK on UA miles in J, and then pick up the AA ticket.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:47 pm

Certain times of the year, if you don't book 3 months out, you are SOL for a United C class fare.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm actually starting 11 months out and checking twice a day at least.

Understand you are exploring a longer horizon, but I think you are missing my point.

The bean counters at United would much rather not release Saver Reward Inventory ($0 in revenue) 11 Months out (or at any point), when they can easily see there is high demand for Business/First Revenue passengers on this route such that they are turning away (on multiple instances for me) $8k+ in Revenue for a C Class ticket 1-3 Months out.

Last edited by dashboard347; Apr 18, 2014 at 11:57 pm
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very rarely have I seen it available. I fly that route 6-8 times a year, and Business is always packed. Actually I can only think of 1 instance where I have seen it, after searching numerous times to try and bring the significant other along for a trip.
Thanks for the feedback! A related issue: how is the availability of R-class (upgrade Y>C) on that flight?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Thanks for the feedback! A related issue: how is the availability of R-class (upgrade Y>C) on that flight?
R class has been available at times over the past year. This and GIG/GRU have the biggest W spreads I have ever seen though, often double the cheapest Y fare.

Last edited by Kacee; Apr 19, 2014 at 5:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.