Wiki Posts
Search

Search results for upgrade fares

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Search results for upgrade fares

On the UA website I can find an upgradeable (R>1) one-way fare from SFO to Europe via ORD.

I can also find an upgradeable (R>1) one-way fare from Europe back to SFO via ORD.

But when I try to book this as a round trip the upgradeable fare is gone for the outbound flight. The flight SFO-ORD doesn't show at all and the ORD-Europe flight is now mysteriously not upgradable (R=0).

Is this a common website/UA system error?

If I were to call the 1K number would UA be able to get me the round trip and get access to R fare?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This is most likely just a bug in how united.com presents the information. As long as you see the R inventory on the individual segments, your upgrade should clear.

However, I do see some other wierdness for bookings next March. Inventory is noe behaving as I think it should (both online and to an agent).
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by piemel
If I were to call the 1K number would UA be able to get me the round trip and get access to R fare?
If it is available, YES, so do this.

Also, keep in mind you can cancel within 24hrs for no charge, so if you prefer, make the booking online to see. Then if the space isn't showing cancel it.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers.

@jds747: The problem with booking this online is that I don't get to see the wanted connections when selecting a roundtrip itin. It only shows when I query for a one-way.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Originally Posted by JDS747
Also, keep in mind you can cancel within 24hrs for no charge, so if you prefer, make the booking online to see. Then if the space isn't showing cancel it.
Thats the way I do it but how about when the itinerary doesnt ticket and you have to wait 24 hours pending approval (not denied) by a UA codeshare partner. Curious when does the 24 hour cancellation free period begin in this situation?

Happened to me last weekend when my outbound showed R1, so instead of waiting 24 hours, I canceled the yet to be ticketed mutli destination itinerary and booked the codeshare on an award tix and the rest ticketed immediately on a new reservation and all GPUs cleared. Perhaps a waste of miles but nice to be flexible with an award ticket for changes.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
@jds747: The problem with booking this online is that I don't get to see the wanted connections when selecting a roundtrip itin. It only shows when I query for a one-way.
build the itin using Multiple Destinations
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Ha!

That did it... thanks

I detest having to miss out on Expert Flyer.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Use hipmunk to search instead of UA's mess; it drops you into the UA booking process at the end.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Ha!

That did it... thanks
I guess multi itin works on selecting the right flights but the problem then be that applying a GPU only covers one part of the outbound itin.

Whatever I try UA will not show me UA728/UA909 as a possible option as one leg on a multi city itinerary.

When I break them up I can select UA728 and then use different leg for UA909 but that brings me back to not being able to upgrade UA728/909 on 1 GPU.

I think I am going to pour me a drink
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... When I break them up I can select UA728 and then use different leg for UA909 but that brings me back to not being able to upgrade UA728/909 on 1 GPU. ....
Why do you think it can not be done with 1 GPU?
GPU can not be applied until actually booked.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Why do you think it can not be done with 1 GPU?
GPU can not be applied until actually booked.
I could very well be wrong but that is how I recall a previous itin of mine get messed up.... where the UA728 SFO-ORD and UA909 ORD-AMS show up as 2 separate legs and need 2 GPU's
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:36 am

I could very well be wrong but that is how I recall a previous itin of mine get messed up.... where the UA728 SFO-ORD and UA909 ORD-AMS show up as 2 separate legs and need 2 GPU's
Should not be a problem as long as less than a 12 hour connection (but you are around 2 hours so no issue). Call if you have any issue doing online.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:55 am
Used to be 'TheManWhoFlewTooMuch'

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Delta Diamond emeritus, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
I had a similar situation regarding married segments a couple of weeks ago. See here.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys

Looks like I have to call in either way.... I can find the segments I need/want but next issue is :

Outbound is available in Q (W=0, V=0) and return leg have W>0f ... hence if I book this online and want to use a GPU (not miles/$$) then I can not book mixed class on the website (Q outbound, W return).

I could be wrong but searching for upgradeable fares will only get you to do miles/$$.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:38 am

..... Outbound is available in Q (W=0, V=0) and return leg have W>0f ... hence if I book this online and want to use a GPU (not miles/$$) then I can not book mixed class on the website (Q outbound, W return). ....
put "W,V,Q" in the fare class search and you should be good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.